Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Humanoid Lobster
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm putting together an old Bontrager Race frame as a SS (It's a 1992). It's got the forward facing horizontal dropouts that allow me to adjust the slack. I'm using bolt-on hubs also.

I had one of these frames new back in the day, and I swapped it out when Bontrager went to a horizontal dropouts in 1993 because I was able to slide the rear hub in the dropout when I cranked up a hill and make the tire slam into the inside of the non-drive chainstay. (This was a geared setup with QR's) The Bontrager dropouts were cut out of a very hard steel that does not allow as much "grip" as most dropouts do.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a chain tug that will work on a forward facing horizontal dropout? I don't mind a little bit of dremel'ing to make it fit, but I'd like to start with one that is a reasonable good fit.

Any insights to share?

·
Humanoid Lobster
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'm in the middle of building this frame up, so I don't know for sure if the bolt-on hub will be enough. I still have my geared Racelite, this frame came to me via a trade so I thought the thing to do was a SS build. I just remember my old '92 with the wheel slipping. XT qr's made no difference on that frame, nor did custom machined hub locknuts. It was only jumping onto the new (in '93) frame with horizontal drops that solved the problem.

I'm a big guy, even bigger now than I was in the 90's. My thinking was that a bolt-on hub would be a "belt and suspenders" setup to allow me to get use out of the frame. (I LOVE these frames, they fit me like a glove and handle like magic. This is Bonty #3 in my current stable; I've got a Racelite, Ti-lite, and now a Race.)

I have considered roughing up the dropout faces with the dremel. It's hard for me to contemplate doing though, it seems so wrong to grind at a nice frame. Perhaps it is the solution though.

Still, it seems as though someone must make a chain tug for this style of dropout. All the kids with the skinny jeans who've defiled all those nice old road bikes must like a chain tug as much as the next guy right? ;)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Jak0zilla said:
Still, it seems as though someone must make a chain tug for this style of dropout. All the kids with the skinny jeans who've defiled all those nice old road bikes must like a chain tug as much as the next guy right? ;)
those kids in skinny jeans are riding fixed & they would not be caught dead using chain-tugs. the ss conversion roadies that can't or won't do the magic gear or 1/2 link thing use tensioners. maybe you should be considering one?

if you are deadset that you must have a chain-tug, you can use just about any kind out there if you don't mind defacing the ass-end of your drop-out by flattening it but as umarth mentioned earlier & you agreed...you have a bonty.

·
Humanoid Lobster
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, that does look like exactly what I'm after! :) (I'd be all over kcaz's set if they were silver. My stuff always gets scratched up in the end, silver doesn't show it as much.)

FWIW, I've turned up a couple of people via Google who've run Surly Tuggnuts on forward facing drops. It sounds as though some filing is required, but I've turned up pics of them mounted so it can't be too hard to do.

I like the Homebrew ones more, I'll likely order one. Thanks again for all the help! (I'll put pics of my build up in the appropriate thread when done.)

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
1,809 Posts
I got the surly tuggnut to work with mine using a quick release, i bet its even easier with a bolt on hub. i just shaved a flat surface where the tuggnut contacts the back of the dropout

·
Registered
259 Posts
scyule said:
How about ONE OF THESE?
This is the (semi)horizontal drop out on my Surly

https://www.homebrewedcomponents.com/store.php/categories/nut-tuggers

From our fine friend who now has an ad at the top of this page
Did you have to do any modifications to your dropout to use the HBC tug nut? This looks like a great solution. Is there any instability with the setup? You know, since it was designed (I believe) for a rear facing track end.

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
Jak0zilla said:
Thanks, that does look like exactly what I'm after! :) (I'd be all over kcaz's set if they were silver. My stuff always gets scratched up in the end, silver doesn't show it as much.)

FWIW, I've turned up a couple of people via Google who've run Surly Tuggnuts on forward facing drops. It sounds as though some filing is required, but I've turned up pics of them mounted so it can't be too hard to do.

I like the Homebrew ones more, I'll likely order one. Thanks again for all the help! (I'll put pics of my build up in the appropriate thread when done.)
Don't get uber excited about the HB tugger. On the Cross Check the screw is nestled in a bit of a crook- between the bend of the dropout and the eyelets. You might find that it won't work for you. I had a redline tug on my Rockhopper and it would slip. The design of the Redline is very similar to the Surly chain tug. I think it is likely that in order any to work, you will need to file a flat area for proper purchase.

I think you really ought to try the wheel with the QR. Someone has been hammering on that bike before you and that previous set up might very well work perfectly.

·
PSYCHOLUST
485 Posts
JST169 said:
Did you have to do any modifications to your dropout to use the HBC tug nut? This looks like a great solution. Is there any instability with the setup? You know, since it was designed (I believe) for a rear facing track end.

Thanks,

Jeremy
No modifications....... and with your BOLT on hub, it should actually fit BETTER

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.