Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Plays with tools
4,656 Posts
Once you pull a cartridge bearing out, it goes in the trash. Trying to pull them out to service them and reinstalling is doing more harm than good. Exception being Chris King hub bearings when done with their tool that insures the bearing races don't get side loaded against each other.

I've heard good things about the motion pro bearing puller, but haven't used it.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
Once you pull a cartridge bearing out, it goes in the trash.
I must admit, I've never tried to 'service' them either. They're not murderously expensive so I bin them. If they are gritty enough to feel it there is probably some wear.

I do pop the seals off new ones and put more grease in though. It really helps to keep the elements out. I checked the bearings on my hardtail hubs not long ago and they were still perfect. Looked like they were fitted yesterday, last time they were looked at was a year ago.

·
Magically Delicious
12,175 Posts
Opinion on Park tools HBP-1 tool for pressing in suspension bearings? Seems like you can combine any pilot and bushing to fit a lot of bearing sizes.
Yeah, that's a decent bearing press, but it can be more than most might need given all of the sizes. For $300, I'll piece together the sizes that I need.

If you're not too concerned about the expense, there are some 'works of art' out there in the same price range that I would prefer over the Park. Abby Tools and Wheels Manufacturing make some very nice presses.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, that's a decent bearing press, but it can be more than most might need given all of the sizes. For $300, I'll piece together the sizes that I need.

If you're not too concerned about the expense, there are some 'works of art' out there in the same price range that I would prefer over the Park. Abby Tools and Wheels Manufacturing make some very nice presses.
The issue I have is the 6800 bearing size in my Remedy's suspension linkage. WMFG does not make a drift for it, and checked at Abbey too. I wish WMFG had a drift as they sell them super cheap. RRP does make the tool/extractor at $26 /size from Chain reaction cycles, but by the time I buy all my bearing sizes and the press, I might as well buy a kit and have any size I need for other bikes in the future. I'm stuck between the Enduro BRT-005 kit and the Park tool HBP-1 (leaning this way).

·
turtles make me hot
11,717 Posts
I have the puller and the press that they sell on Enduro Bearing's website. I bought the press from them but got the puller on Amazon. Got it considerably cheaper.
Works great.

·
Magically Delicious
12,175 Posts
While I'm sure there are some applications on bikes for Blind Pullers that use Slide Hammers, I have always had access to the back side to place bearing puller on and tap out with a drift. I'm guessing that you could do the same with these without having to use the slide hammer?

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is what I use:
https://www.amazon.com/Bearing-Pull...=1471558986&sr=8-4&keywords=bearing+extractor

Nice to have around for other projects too. Kind of overkill if you just want a bike kit.

I pull all cartridge bearings in my full suspension bike each year and replace. The bearings are CHEAP. With this or a similar tool there is no reason to try and reuse/lube old bearings. I HATE to be in the middle of riding season and get a suspension issue. Address it each winter and forget it for a year.

·
Magically Delicious
12,175 Posts
^^^^ Perhaps this is little more than the definition of "CHEAP" or better stated as, one's disposable income level. I have over $200 of bearings and I don't see that as cheap to replace. I much prefer to service and maintain my bearing over replacement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting... My perspective is limited to my bike (a Scott Spark FS). The kit from spark is ~$100 but the bearings can be found for about. $3-5. The suspension has 6 bearings of which I replace 4 since they tend to get a lot of water and mud contact. That works out to $15-$20. I'd probably have a different perspective if I was looking at $200!

The bearings I use are similar to this:
Enduro Max 6800 Sealed Cartridge Bearing 10x19x5

With an ID, OD and thickness I was able to match up a good option for my rig.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
^^^^ Perhaps this is little more than the definition of "CHEAP" or better stated as, one's disposable income level. I have over $200 of bearings and I don't see that as cheap to replace. I much prefer to service and maintain my bearing over replacement.
^This^ I would rather maintain my bearings and use the $200 for other parts like tire's brake pads ect....
But I've known people who don't bother to maintain and just replace parts to each their own I guess.

21 - 40 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.