Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m FS bikeless right now - the Slash is intriguing tho I’m not sure about that rear shock performance trek uses on all their bikes.

Has any ridden one vs a Hightower?

How is it pedaling on the flats ? Uphill ?

Is it too much travel for trail riding ?

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8,282 Posts
I own the OG Slash and find it to be a perfect rough trail bike. I've got limited trail time on the new version, but it felt a bit monstrous for that use! SUPER supple -- I believe Trek ditched the Reaktive part of the shock -- but more than a bit soggy in the pedaling department.

But......I see people riding them on the trail, so maybe others will weigh in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I went from the previous Slash 9.8 to the new Slash 9.8 earlier this year and they are both great bikes for chunky terrain. The new one feels a little more balanced (I feel more centered on the frame), which is most apparent in the air.

I also have a 2015 Fuel EX 9. I prefer the Fuel for rolling and XC style rides. I prefer the Slash for more technical rides, and Enduro style rides (social pedal up to the top and bomb down). I also love the Slash for park riding and never felt I was missing out not having a full DH bike.

The Slash pedals well (it feels just as efficient as any bike I’ve ridden that was more than a xc bike - including my old Fuel EX). The biggest difference I notice between it and shorter travel bikes is the additional weight and the slacker geometry (feels less spritely on climbs). I demoed a Hightower and felt that it still had most of the drawbacks of the Slash, but less of the benefits (stability over chunky terrain and ability to soak up big hits).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've had the new Slash 8 for about a month. Three or four bike park sessions and several XC rides lasting 3+ hours. Technology has come such a long way. The bike pedals really well uphill when seated or standing for short distances. It's a better tech climber than my Top Fuel. The good news is it doesn't make easy trails boring. They'd certainly be more exciting on the Top Fuel or a HT, but they're not boring. That might change if you put on more DH oriented tires, though.

I'm not some master at the bike park, but it seems to do a very good job. You're not going to confuse it with a full on DH bike on old school chunky/techy/rocky descents, but it's more than adequate. Better than a DH bike on the flow-type jumps. As with any of these do-it-all bikes, you're stuck with giant derailleur sticking out just waiting to be bashed off.

Can't make any direct comparisons.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had the new Slash 8 for about a month. Three or four bike park sessions and several XC rides lasting 3+ hours. Technology has come such a long way. The bike pedals really well uphill when seated or standing for short distances. It's a better tech climber than my Top Fuel. The good news is it doesn't make easy trails boring. They'd certainly be more exciting on the Top Fuel or a HT, but they're not boring. That might change if you put on more DH oriented tires, though.

I'm not some master at the bike park, but it seems to do a very good job. You're not going to confuse it with a full on DH bike on old school chunky/techy/rocky descents, but it's more than adequate. Better than a DH bike on the flow-type jumps. As with any of these do-it-all bikes, you're stuck with giant derailleur sticking out just waiting to be bashed off.

Can't make any direct comparisons.
That's really my question / concern - is it a DH rig .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Community Manager at Trek
604 Posts
Quick review: 100% RAD

Standard review: My 2021 Slash 9.9 is my favorite bike, hands down. The steep STA and HTA have grown my confidence on the trail which has made it easier for me to challenge myself on bigger rock gardens and steep/fast descents. Jumps have also become more fun for me and less of a fear. As for trail riding, the suspension setup is plush and the pedaling efficiency hasn't been lost with the STA either. I find I can still keep up with my friends on their smaller travel trail bikes on climbs (rear shock locked out of course) and sprints - but can push faster downhill. It certainly favors the downhill runs, but that is the nature of the bike. If you're buying it for a XC rig, you're looking at the wrong bike. If you're buying it because you want to have fun, ride more exciting trails, and push your limits, then it's the right bike.

That's really my question / concern - is it a DH rig .
Definitely not a DH rig unless you slap a 180mm fork on it and that is all you want to ride. But it will hold its own in a bike park.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.