Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious, if a bike has a "life time" warrantee, what difference does it make if you bought it brand new or used? If the first owner beat the heck out of a bike and it breaks, he'll probably get it warranteed. If he beats the heck out of it, sells it to another person and it breaks, no warrantee.

Doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe it's the "you didn't pay US so we're not going to back it" reasoning. Or maybe I'm missing something obvious.

I'm having to deal with this right now. Anyone with some insight on the subject?

·
2,548 Posts
Reek said:
Doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe it's the "you didn't pay US so we're not going to back it" reasoning. Or maybe I'm missing something obvious.
Anyone with some insight on the subject?
Can't argue with ya, it doesn't make sense....but, that's the way it has been, is, and will probably continue to be. You're not missing anything obvious....it is possibly a type of "insurance" for companies to do this, so's they won't actually be warranteeing every frame sold, which would end up being expensive.....it's part "insurance," large part marketing (soundsd good to consumers), and in part showing that if you are the original purchaser that they will (or at least should) stand behind their product. Trek offers a lifetime frame warranty (at least on the Fuels), and sounds as though they do stand behind their products - good thing, too, as I don't buy new bikes very often....heh.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Reek said:
just curious, if a bike has a "life time" warrantee, what difference does it make if you bought it brand new or used? If the first owner beat the heck out of a bike and it breaks, he'll probably get it warranteed. If he beats the heck out of it, sells it to another person and it breaks, no warrantee.

I'm having to deal with this right now. Anyone with some insight on the subject?
I deal with warranty depts in other things(outdoor products) . "lifetime" is predetermined by the company, what they percieve as good use out of an item...1,2, 5,10, it all depends on the product. It doesn't mean YOUR lifetime ;-)

Sometime the warrany paperwork that comes with a purchase witll state "orginal owner". This is why it can be a good idea to work through a dealer and not go to a company yoursefl... if you have a good relationship with the dealer, they will go to bat for your, regardless of who bought the thing. Companies tend to ask less question that way also.

Formica

1 - 3 of 3 Posts