Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a new frame in the near future and the Flux is one of the frames that I am considering. I have been riding a Superlight for about three years now and I have always been very happy with it. I still love the Superlight I just figure it is about time for an upgrade, plus the thing always has had a creek in it that has drove me nuts!

I primarily ride xc with just a small drop here or there if it happens to be on the trail. I do about 10 xc races a year but I do more riding than I do racing so I can't really see buying a race specific frame, I like having 4" of travel. The bike will have a 100 mm fork so please keep that in mind when doing the comparison.

Thanks in advance.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
I think that there is more contrast than comparison. Aside from the fact that they both are made from aluminum, come in polished/ano finish and have 4" of travel, these are very different bikes. Main difference is the linkage. Superlight is a single pivot design. Flux on the other hand is a 4 bar, Horst link design. With single pivot design the rear end stiffens up during braking, causing the so called brake jack. In addition, during climbing, there is feedback to the pedals from chain stretching and lenghtening, depending on position of the suspension. Flux is a better climber, especially in technical terrain. The bushing design is also far more durable than the bearing setup. The strengths of the Superlight are the lack of maintenance (on a Flux you have to squirt a bit of grease into the zerks once a month, which makes the bushings last years and years, whereas on Superlight you basically do nothing until it comes time to replace the bearings, more frequently). Superlight will probably feel a bit more plush, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. The both weight approximatelly the same. Flux has a longer top tube, which will help keep your body weight more centered and more stretched out for a given stem length. Flux has a taller BB, which on one hand will allow you to clear larger obstacles, on the other, will make your ride a bit less stable. Superlight has a steeper head angle, for faster/twitchier steering. Flux has been reported to handle remarkably, so maybe Superlight is just too twitchy?

Anyway, I am sure I missed some other important items, but I have yet to do any work today. Good luck with your choice.

_MK

P.S. You know you just want to try a different bike, don't you? :D

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MK_ said:
P.S. You know you just want to try a different bike, don't you? :D
Of course, I just don't want to end up with a bike I'm not happy with.

Thank you very much for the information.

BTW, has anyone had a problem with creaking with the flux?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thumbs up on the Flux

My main riding partner rides a superlight and I ride a 5-spot. I know it is not a flux, but I'd say you can extrapolate some. Flux would be better climbing and the 5-spot more plush going down. Anyway, we have traded off several times and I know the 5-spot is much more blush (really there is no camparison) and even more efficient at climbing. He definately wants to get a new ride with a bit more travel one of these days. His superlight wants a 80mm fork to be a balanced ride where as the Flux you will be able to go with a 100mm fork which is much more plush without sacraficing the geometry. So I think you will notice the added inch of travel in the Flux and will be extreemly happy the performance up and down.

Maintenance: I am sold on the Turner bushin design. I rode this am and really appreciate that I have had my bike for 3 years and have absolutely no problems with any suspension issues. You do need to perform maintenance by squirting grease in the pivots about every 5 rides or so. On top of that I diss-assemble, clean and re-grease the two small pivots 2 or 3 times per year and all of the pivots maybe once a year. I ride 2-3 times per week and my bushings are still solid.

I think you'll like it, but I'd ride several bikes and make sure it is the one you want.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info. I called Turner a little bit ago about ordering one. They told me they won't have any mediums for eight weeks. :(

Looks like I will have plenty of time to make my decision at least.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
LowCel said:
Thanks for all the info. I called Turner a little bit ago about ordering one. They told me they won't have any mediums for eight weeks. :(

Looks like I will have plenty of time to make my decision at least.
I am not in the know on Flux availability, but you may want to ask some retailers if they can get you one sooner. Start with Larry at Mountain High Cyclery.

I have had two mountainbikes since getting back into dirt after 10 years out of the game. A Superlight and a 5-Spot. Both bikes were great. Even though the 5-Spot is heavier, I can clear more with the 5-Spot on both the ups and downs. The Flux should be a better bike overall and just as good on the racing scene. If price is not a big issue, get the Flux. I suspect you will not be disappointed. The only reason I would get a Superlight is because of the money.

Creaking. My Superlight drove me crazy with its creaking for months. Turned out to be the saddle rails and the seat post. Have you eliminated all posibilities? Perhaps it needs new bearings.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dirdir said:
I am not in the know on Flux availability, but you may want to ask some retailers if they can get you one sooner. Start with Larry at Mountain High Cyclery.

I have had two mountainbikes since getting back into dirt after 10 years out of the game. A Superlight and a 5-Spot. Both bikes were great. Even though the 5-Spot is heavier, I can clear more with the 5-Spot on both the ups and downs. The Flux should be a better bike overall and just as good on the racing scene. If price is not a big issue, get the Flux. I suspect you will not be disappointed. The only reason I would get a Superlight is because of the money.

Creaking. My Superlight drove me crazy with its creaking for months. Turned out to be the saddle rails and the seat post. Have you eliminated all posibilities? Perhaps it needs new bearings.
I plan on buying the frame on employee purchase so going to other retailers really isn't an option. I appreciate the suggestion though.

I looked at the five spot but that wouldn't really be the best bike for me. I need something relatively light weight plus I want to be able to use all of my current parts.

As for the Superlight creaking I have tried everything to eliminate it for about three years now. The only solution I have found is to squirt lube into the hole in the rear triangle below the hole that the cable goes through. Speedgoat told me that there are two pieces of metal that rub in there on some of the frames. Sometimes this temporary fix will get rid of the noise for a ride, sometimes it won't.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
The rear end on the SL is also wicked flexy. You may not notice it now because you're accustomed to it, but you'll notice a big difference in the way a Turner tracks in comparison. I weigh 160# and the difference in flex is quite noticeable.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
The rear end on the SL is also wicked flexy. You may not notice it now because you're accustomed to it, but you'll notice a big difference in the way a Turner tracks in comparison. I weigh 160# and the difference in flex is quite noticeable.
That was a point I was going to make. The rear end on the Flux tracks extremely well for a reasonably lightweight X-C/trailbike. You can hit ruts that are running diagonally across the trail and the suspension will work as intended with little torsional or lateral flex. I was pretty amazed when I went from my old X-C bike to the Flux, how much the old bike flexed. I didn't even notice the flex until I rode a bike that didn't.

The only creak I have heard in mine are in the Horst links because I cannot find my grease injector ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've owned a superlight and now own a flux.

It's getting a bit samey as I make the points between the blur and the flux.

The flux climbs better, goes down hill better and pedals better. I could never tune he SL so it felt correct, it was never good at swallowing big and small hits on the same set-up. It was also a very harsh ride.

It looked nice though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.