Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the lower parking lot at White Ranch?

I rode there today and had many dabs. I seem to recall riding this clean MANY years ago. From the state of the trail, I doubt I'll ever be able to clean it again.

Just curious if anyone can still do it.
 

·
not actually bad :)
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
Just session it a few times - you'll get it.
I used to clean it all the time, then hadn't for a long time, and it was p!ss!ing me off, so that's what I did (last year), and got it after the 3rd time (both directions).
Haven't been there since early spring though, and haven't gotten it on the SS.

EDIT - Oops - just re-read your post and I'm not sure if I know what you mean.
You mean clean (from the parking lot) the whole trail all the up to the Longhorn turnoff?
Or do you mean clean the 1st rock garden right after the 2nd gate?
 

·
Heathen
Joined
·
768 Posts
Last time I was there only 1 dab. Only been there a few times though.

Hit it after a rain so the sand is washed off the rocks. Much easier.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,883 Posts
bad andy! said:
Just session it a few times - you'll get it.
I used to clean it all the time, then hadn't for a long time, and it was p!ss!ing me off, so that's what I did (last year), and got it after the 3rd time (both directions).
Haven't been there since early spring though, and haven't gotten it on the SS.

EDIT - Oops - just re-read your post and I'm not sure if I know what you mean.
You mean clean (from the parking lot) the whole trail all the up to the Longhorn turnoff?
Or do you mean clean the 1st rock garden right after the 2nd gate?
Coming back to the TH, yes. Away from the TH, no. It just seems to roll better in one direction than the other. Besides, it gets too crowded there to keep trying over and over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bad andy! said:
Just session it a few times - you'll get it.

Or do you mean clean the 1st rock garden right after the 2nd gate?
I'm talking about JUST the rock garden. It's the bane of my existence :madman:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
I can do it both directions and that is without resorting to any trials type hopping. Add in trials maneuvers and it becomes easier. Not to brag but I've actually almost cleaned the whole trail up from the bottom parking lot to the upper without stopping when going Belcher, Longhorn, Shorthorn, Longhorn to the upper parking lot. There is just one section on Shorthorn that I can't get that is pretty rediculously hard, especially without rest.

I will say that the increased equestrian use from the nearby ranch has really destroyed that lower section after the second gate. I think it's a bummer that a private company is allowed to run guided tours on public lands like that. c'est la vie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
about two weeks ago- no dabs in the rock garden. last time at least three dabs. try a bigger gear (thing ss gearing).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
Crit Rat said:
Not to brag .
How about those freaking waterbar steps on Dakota Ridge?

Heading south, the first batch is ok, but that second bunch are impossible.

That ride kicks my butt and makes me consider body armor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
crashtoomuch said:
How about those freaking waterbar steps on Dakota Ridge?

Heading south, the first batch is ok, but that second bunch are impossible.

That ride kicks my butt and makes me consider body armor.
Haven't ridden it in 11 years or so! No idea but I've heard it's more technical than it was in the late 90's.

I think a big part of cleaning stuff is fitness. The skill-set needs to be there but without enough power AND endurance then obstacles will continue to stop riders.
 

·
I dream on two wheels
Joined
·
763 Posts
I cleared the water bars at Dakota for the first ever time this year. Felt pretty good about that.

-Simon
 

·
Heathen
Joined
·
768 Posts
Crit Rat said:
I think a big part of cleaning stuff is fitness. The skill-set needs to be there but without enough power AND endurance then obstacles will continue to stop riders.
Completly agree. I make the first half without a problem but have to stop or pass out. With fitness they'd be purty easy.
 

·
percocet pioneer.
Joined
·
931 Posts
TooManyToyz said:
Completly agree. I make the first half without a problem but have to stop or pass out. With fitness they'd be purty easy.
respectfully disagree. for me it's about momentum and not going about it like a pansy. picking the best line in/out of the rocks combined with the right speed is more important than endurance in my opinion. the better line you pick = less energy spent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
$ally Hu$tle said:
respectfully disagree. for me it's about momentum and not going about it like a pansy. picking the best line in/out of the rocks combined with the right speed is more important than endurance in my opinion. the better line you pick = less energy spent.
You're not talking about the same thing. He is talking about the water bars at DR. You're talking about some rock garden.
 

·
Old, stale, negative
Joined
·
800 Posts
Yep. Gear up a bit and session it. It becomes rather routine after a few rides. My claim to fame was busting a drive train on the way up Belcher and somehow cleaning the rock garden on the way down with nothing but flow and pump(and luck for sure). Could probably never do it again but wow what a sweet feeling when I was through it.
 

·
Heathen
Joined
·
768 Posts
$ally Hu$tle said:
respectfully disagree. for me it's about momentum and not going about it like a pansy. picking the best line in/out of the rocks combined with the right speed is more important than endurance in my opinion. the better line you pick = less energy spent.
Let me clarify, I'm talking about DR here, not WR. The stairs at DR, for me anyway, are 75% endurance. Going up little wooden things isn't a big deal. The very last section though, where they get steep, close together and followed by rock, is more skill, more power and a whole lot harder.
 

·
Heathen
Joined
·
768 Posts
$ally Hu$tle said:
it's the same concept
Maybe if you already have the fitness. The rock garden at WR is flat, there's no endurance part to it. It's all skill. Same for cleaning most of SSV..unless you are trying to go UP..which I'm sure some around here can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
TooManyToyz said:
Let me clarify, I'm talking about DR here, not WR. The stairs at DR, for me anyway, are 75% endurance. Going up little wooden things isn't a big deal. The very last section though, where they get steep, close together and followed by rock, is more skill, more power and a whole lot harder.
I was talking on a more broad scale myself. I think a good rider is someone who keeps going through everything. They clean the technical stuff after long hard climbs, they clean the technical stuff in the middle of climbs and keep motoring, they clean the technical at the bottom of stuff and keep going.

Someone who can clean tech stuff but has to rest before and after needs to do more climbing :p

This is why I think the real White Ranch challenge would be to clean the route I highlighted below without any dabs and zero stops. Who's up for it?
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top