Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never really rode a FS bike more than an hour in my life and when i did i wasn't terribly impressed with it (just didn't like the bouncey feel). I was wondering if you can hop higher than lets say two feet on a FS bike and do manuels and stuff... i never saw anyone do this type of stuff and thats why i never got into FS bikes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
dukeblaster said:
I never really rode a FS bike more than an hour in my life and when i did i wasn't terribly impressed with it (just didn't like the bouncey feel). I was wondering if you can hop higher than lets say two feet on a FS bike and do manuels and stuff... i never saw anyone do this type of stuff and thats why i never got into FS bikes.
I can do it up 3 stairs and across maybe 30yds

·
I HUCK WITH CHUCK
1,319 Posts
I can manual far, and hop okay. At some point the travel becomes so much that you lose that "bounce back" advantage and you just get sucked in. I can't bunnyhop more than about a foot on any bike though. I can go up a high sewer drain thats about it. My bike has 7 inches travel.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Pre-jump it

Bunny hopping is much easier on a FS than a hardtail. If you pre-jump it, ie. compress the suspension before you start pulling up, the rebound helps launch you as well as the suspension compressing slightly at the top. I can hop my 50 dh bike around 8-12 inches no problem.

Wheelies and manuals just take practice. Lots and lots of practice

·
always learning
539 Posts
Prechrysler said:
It is? Not if you know how to bunnyhop. You don't see many people doing 3 foot bunnyhops on a FS. Whereas, 3 foot bunnyhops on a hardtail are commonplace.
I think it just depends on your technique. If you hop with both wheels leaving at similar times then a FS is easier because you can compress to get higher. If you do a proper bunnyhop and lift the front way up before the back leaves the ground I think a hardtail is better. It allows you to use the rear of the bike to push off of, whereas a FS would suck it up a bit.

I still haven't dialed in a proper bunnyhop so for now my FS gets me higher.

--Taylor

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
Prechrysler said:
It is? Not if you know how to bunnyhop. You don't see many people doing 3 foot bunnyhops on a FS. Whereas, 3 foot bunnyhops on a hardtail are commonplace.
i can bunnyhop 2 1/2 foot loading docks on my stinky. :) so 3 wouldnt be that much harder. and manualing is just as easy on a fs as a hardtail for me. ive gone 2 blocks without tapping the brakes(my back brake doesnt work).

·
My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
576 Posts
You can bunny hop more than 12" easy on a cheap walmart fullsusp, since theres no dampening, it gives back all you give it. Kinda fun.

IMO FS rigs are far better than a hardtail. A lot more fun .

Thats my opinion. No flame wars

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
summitlt said:
IMO FS rigs are far better than a hardtail. A lot more fun .
not trying to start a flame war, but the reason why i dont like my fs rig for urban is because on my hardtail i can ride for way longer, and its just easier to move around.

you probably dont have a good hardtail. ;) :D jk

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
konabiker said:
i can bunnyhop 2 1/2 foot loading docks on my stinky. :) so 3 wouldnt be that much harder. and manualing is just as easy on a fs as a hardtail for me. ive gone 2 blocks without tapping the brakes(my back brake doesnt work).
Yes, yes; there are exceptions to the rule. However, generally people that know how to bunnyhop can bunnyhop higher on a hardtail than on a full suspension, for obvious reasons. I'm just saying that FS freeride and downhill bikes aren't going to be breaking any bunnyhop records anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
well, hardtails are definatly better when it comes to bunny hoppin and wheelie/manual...but you can do it on a FS as well, but not as high or as good on a hardtail...anyway, its best to learn bunny hops/all basic skills on a Hard tail...here i am doing what looks like 10 inch on my FS-pic is a bit old. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Prechrysler said:
well i (j-hopped) bunny hopped? whatever you wanna call it, in az we call it j-hop. anyhow i jhopped a three stair on my fs bike and it had shitty suspension all the way around. and i am really not that good, i think its easier to j-hop/bunnyhop on ht's.

But manuling is a different story. The rear shock abosorbs enough movement you might try to apply a force on the back wheel to keep in the air (either moving foward or backwards) FS bikes are usually way too long to manual.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Easier on a Fully?

Bodhi3 said:
Bunny hopping is much easier on a FS than a hardtail. If you pre-jump it, ie. compress the suspension before you start pulling up, the rebound helps launch you as well as the suspension compressing slightly at the top. I can hop my 50 dh bike around 8-12 inches no problem.

Wheelies and manuals just take practice. Lots and lots of practice
Since when is bunny hopping on a fully easier than a hardtail. I ride a 7" Joker and can bunny hop a foot high consistantly. When I was riding a rigid and hardtail I could bunny hop two feet easy. Full suspension bikes can be hopped easily but are no where close to a hardtail in this department. Just watch a trials rider or go to a skatepark. Some of those guys are bunnyhopping like 4ft high sometimes.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
Prechrysler said:
Yes, yes; there are exceptions to the rule. However, generally people that know how to bunnyhop can bunnyhop higher on a hardtail than on a full suspension, for obvious reasons. I'm just saying that FS freeride and downhill bikes aren't going to be breaking any bunnyhop records anytime soon.
i dont think i can go higher on a hardtail, but im more consitent(sp) on one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
hardtails are easier

i think i'm pretty decent at bunnyhopping and i gotta say its much easier to bunnyhop higher on a hardtail. also hardtails are generally lighter than FS bikes. the highest i can hop on a FS bike is only about 6 inches to 1 foot maybe, where i can get way higher on my hardtail and bmx bike. i wish i had a pic of me hopping on my hardtail, but this is from my bmx bike the other day, i don't think theres anyway i could get that high on a FS....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.