Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
yelgatgab
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I know is that it has a good cancer hospital and housing seems pretty reasonable.

Clearly, the most important question is, how is the riding in (or just outside) town?

Second to that...school system? eats? cost of living? air quality? etc, etc...

How's life for a couple borderline crunchy folks that like to eat organic and other such nonsense? :D

Thanks

·
Registered
875 Posts
My first question to you is, where are you moving from? It is a lot easier to compare Nashville (Middle TN) if I know what I'm comparing it to. :thumbsup:
My second question is, what parts of town have you been house hunting in?
Franklin, Cool Springs and Green Hills will be the most expensive parts of town.
Clearly, the most important question is, how is the riding in (or just outside) town?
Depends on what kind of riding you do.
We have several XC trails around here. Only one is in Davidson County itself, Hamilton Creek. It's VERY techical; plenty of rock gardens.
DH is more or less non existent, as we don't have that much elevation.
The closest DH trail would be Windrock, just outside of Knoxville.
FR is also in its infancy around here. However myself and a few other Xtreme riders are trying to fix that.
Here's a local site that I also belong to:
www.nationalmountainbike.com (NMB)

Second to that...school system? eats? cost of living? air quality? etc, etc...
School system isn't bad from what I hear. I have no children so I can't give you an accurate assessment, but my friends on NMB who are 'rents can.
Cost of living is very reasonable. It is one of the main reasons that Nissan chose to close up its HQ in LA and move to Cool Springs (the Beverly Hills of Nashville).
I have a 1200 sq ft. house on a 1/4 acre in a decent, quiet neighborhood and I paid $125K for it. A general rule, I've found, is that housing here goes for between $80 and $130 a sq foot. You won't find that in FL or CA.
Housing here is only a fraction of what you'd find in FL, NY or CA.
Surprisingly enough, health/organic food here isn't exactly uncommon. We have a plethora of Sushi bars, and there is a store in Green Hills (a slightly ritzy section) called Wild Oats, that sells organic/health food. I like it pretty well, but it's a good 15 miles from my house.

·
yelgatgab
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, Mike.

I'd be moving from Utah, but I'm originally from WV. I suppose I lean more towards the FR/DH side of things, but I'm not opposed to some XC riding. I think I could handle the 3 hour drive to Windrock, though. I've always wanted to ride there, so having it "local" would be pretty cool.

My wife was doing the house hunting, so I'm not sure where she was looking. I just know I saw some really nice houses on decent sized plots of land for well under 200K, which is basically non-existent in SLC.

·
Registered
875 Posts
bagtagley said:
Thanks for the response, Mike.

I'd be moving from Utah, but I'm originally from WV. I suppose I lean more towards the FR/DH side of things, but I'm not opposed to some XC riding. I think I could handle the 3 hour drive to Windrock, though. I've always wanted to ride there, so having it "local" would be pretty cool.
WV? One of my buddies that I ride with here is from WV. When you get here, I'll have to introduce you to him.
Very good news you lean towards the FR/DH side.
Go dig up the Insane Stunts thread in the DH/FR forum. All the pics posted by me in that thread are at my friend Kenny's house in Mt. Juliet, about 20 miles east of Nashville.
There's also Hurricane Creek park in Cullman, AL; about 2 hours south of here. They have a big ass 'jungle gym' setup that includes a 12 foot drop, a down ramp into a wall ride, a huge wooden berm, and a gap jump. They also have a nasty little 'mini DH' section called the Gauntlet.
I went there a couple of weeks ago, with the guy from WV in fact.
Haven't been to Windrock yet, but every single person that I know that has, says it's no joke; really.
But the best thing I'd suggest is signing up on NMB and start chatting with those guys. My screenname is the same over there. They are a very stand up bunch of guys and gals more than willing to offer advice and assistance.

My wife was doing the house hunting, so I'm not sure where she was looking. I just know I saw some really nice houses on decent sized plots of land for well under 200K, which is basically non-existent in SLC.
What areas have you been looking in?
Even the ritzy areas like Franklin, Cool Springs, Bellevue and Belle Meade are still fairly affordable compared to FL, CA, etc.
One thing you might want to consider and get used to is the humidity. We have nasty humid summers and fairly mild winters here.
When will you and the Mrs. be in town?

·
Only One Way
287 Posts
Hey man welcome to Nashville…

I am from WV also and live in the ville (RMB told me you where moving in) I am from Charleston WV – and used to go to Snowshoe about once a month (ahh the old days)

I would be happy to chat via phone if you want just send me a PM..

Lets see if I can duplicate what RMB said..

Trails – tons of good XC riding from Local (Monty Bell, Chickasaw, Lock 4) in Nashville but if you want to do a little road trip you can get the Tsali trail system, DuPont Trail System, and Ocoee Trail System – Sweet ass single track I have been doing more endurance MTB riding lately and really like the travel to new stuff.. For Local FR / DH – let me start with Hammy – not any elevation change but very similar to Lower Beaver Damn at SS – Rocky Rooty and we have built in a few drops from 3 – 5 feet a real fun place to ride and have fun. We have WindRock about 3 hours from my house that is the real deal and a ton of fun I can not ride very trail there but if you are a good DH’er you probably can the “Pro level” DH runs are that a bit above my head the others are hard and fun, RMB mentioned Hurricane Creak Park that place was fun but somewhat limited ie if you are looking for gravity you will be board if you want to jump off of stuff you will have some fun – and no one can forget RMB’s place just outside of Nashville you would be impressed with what those guys have done there.

Housing really hard to do over the net but I have been here for 7 years and could help guide you to what you are looking for (area wise that is)

Schools – I moved to Franklin (Williamson County) because the schools system here is better than other parts of Nashville. Davidson County (Nashville) has gotten some pretty poor scores as of the last few years. Now there are some Magnet schools that are FANTASTIC if your kids can get in..

Anyway shoot me your number and I will give you a call..

C

·
yelgatgab
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info, thanks a ton!

rmb, I had seen that thread before, but didn't realize that was near Nashville. Nice work, that looks like a hoot.

MT, I'm from Charleston as well. Maybe we know each other? PM sent.

Also, we haven't actually moved yet, we're just scoping out locations. We've got some basic criteria (good cancer hospital, good riding, etc.) and Nashville fits the bill pretty well. It's a bit far from Charleston, which is where our families are, but it's a shload closer than SLC.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.