Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum is the closest to anything relating to BMX parts, so hopefully somebody here knows...

I am looking for a nice quality bottom bracket to be used with 1-piece cranks in an American bottom bracket shell. The selection of bottom brackets from the distributors my shop deals with is slim to nil.

What I have is a newer beach cruiser bike and no matter how I adjust the darn bottom bracket, it klunks and groans. I would love to find something with sealed bearings, perhaps of the cartridge variety. Would I be able to find a cartridge bearing that would simply drop in place of my caged balls? If not, what are some good brands.models of bottom brackets to look for?

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, maybe you have a point. I figured there might be some good old school BMX parts floating around from when 1-piece cranks were the norm.

I may see how "de-caging" the balls helps the clunking, but if it doesn't fix it, I am going to go nucking futs.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
There were sealed bearing kits available for one piece cranks back in the '80s, but you'd have to scour old school BMX shops and ebay to find any today. Not much demand for that type of thing anymore.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
How about a conversion

bikerboy said:
This forum is the closest to anything relating to BMX parts, so hopefully somebody here knows...

I am looking for a nice quality bottom bracket to be used with 1-piece cranks in an American bottom bracket shell. The selection of bottom brackets from the distributors my shop deals with is slim to nil.

What I have is a newer beach cruiser bike and no matter how I adjust the darn bottom bracket, it klunks and groans. I would love to find something with sealed bearings, perhaps of the cartridge variety. Would I be able to find a cartridge bearing that would simply drop in place of my caged balls? If not, what are some good brands.models of bottom brackets to look for?

Thanks.
Use this baby and convert the BB to a euro version. It's a little pricey but the results are good.

1G1G, Brad

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aka brad said:
Use this baby and convert the BB to a euro version. It's a little pricey but the results are good.

1G1G, Brad
I don't really want to convert it. For one thing, I don't want to spend the money on the conversion kit, bottom bracket, and crankset. This is a fairly cheap bike, so that would be a little out of hand. I might as well just find some sweet 3-pc cranks for it. The other reason I want to leave it alone is because I really like the sprocket that looks like a disc brake rotor. It is very appropriate for the hot-rod theme of the bike.

·
Registered
512 Posts
If you're hellbent on keeping the 1 pc, then you're pretty stuck with the BB's out there, which aren't all that good, but if you maintain them you shouldn't have much of a problem.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Tioga Beartrap

The old Tioga beartrap was a rather nice quality loose ball bottom bracket that any shop should still be able under for under $20. Just be careful, it's anti-loosening feature makes it too wide for same chainring choices. Or Tioga has a "sealed" bottom bracket for 1 piece. Never seen it in person, but price and picture make it seem cartridge. Once again any shop should be able to to order it probably around $50.

·
Registered
952 Posts
As long as it's Tange or Tioga you're good. Stay away from Wald like it's the plague.

Keep the bearings in their cages. They are a pain to assemble without them. Just make sure you put the bearing in with the big part of the cage facing out, I did it the other way once when I was 10, ended up having to buy another bottom bracket. Also when you tighten them, do the inner cone hand tight, wiggle the cranks, hand tight again, turn back 1/4 turn then install the lock washer and lock nut. This will usually give you proper bearing adjustment on the first try.

Note: Non-drive side is reverse threaded. Clockwise to loosen, Counter-Clock to tighten.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.