Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to buy a bike for my dad and I don't know much about the Santa Cruz Superlight other than that it's a well-regarded bike from a respected brand.

Things I know:

frame size: medium

What I'd like to find out:

1) model year - sellers says she thinks it's 4 or 5 years old.
2) disc brake type (hydraulic/mechanical)
3) rear shock type (fox rp32?)
4) Do they make women's specific models? I am thinking about buying this from a woman, after all. Don't want to end up with something like that when I'm getting it for my dad. He's 5'10 ~210 lbs.

Thanks a ton, guys.

Sorry about the huge images.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
The only "Women specific" model that SC makes is the Juliana, which is basically identical to the superlight with different sizing.

I can't tell the rear shock, but I don't think its an RP23 . . . looks like a Float with ProPedal.

Brakes look to be hydraulic.

Dunno what year.

·
Registered
560 Posts
As said it looks like an '04 - '06, it has the older swingarm. I would bet '04.

I'm 6'0" - 215 lbs. and I have a medium '04 superlight. The frame has been absolutely bombproof, and I ride it way more AM than XC. The frame sizes run a bit big, so that medium should fit your dad fine.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
looks like a 03 or 04 Superlight with an RP3 on it. tough to tell exactly what brakes they are but they look to be hydros definitely. Look like Juicy levers, but no idea if theyre Juicy 3, 5, 7 etc...

That fork he's got on there (Fox Vanilla) is too tall for that frame unless hes got some internal spacers. The Superlight should only have a 120 or less fork. That Van is 140 (at least my friend's old Van that looks the exact same was 140). Obviously this thing is way past warranty, but if it were me, I'd drop it down to 120.

Ive ridden the last 4 years on a large 01 Superlight. Its been a fun bike and I've treated it to more abuse than it was designed for. im 5'11 175 and felt good on a large. 5'10 is kind of no-man's land when it comes to SC bikes. if he feels too cramped on it, put a longer stem and a setback seatpost and he should fit fine

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
That fork he's got on there (Fox Vanilla) is too tall for that frame unless hes got some internal spacers. The Superlight should only have a 120 or less fork. That Van is 140 (at least my friend's old Van that looks the exact same was 140). Obviously this thing is way past warranty, but if it were me, I'd drop it down to 120.

Ive ridden the last 4 years on a large 01 Superlight. Its been a fun bike and I've treated it to more abuse than it was designed for. im 5'11 175 and felt good on a large. 5'10 is kind of no-man's land when it comes to SC bikes. if he feels too cramped on it, put a longer stem and a setback seatpost and he should fit fine
I think the '04 Vanilla was internally adjustable 80/100/125 and the '05 (and '06?) was internally adjustable 100/130.
So, that fork should be fine for that bike, but you might need to open it up and adjust it down to 100.
I have a 90/110/130 Talas on my Superlight. The 130 setting is great for downhills, but a bit too floppy feeling for general purpose. It's not terrible, but 100mm feels noticibly sharper in the handling department. Strengthwise, I think the Superlight can handle the 130mm as long as your dad is the cross country type rider and not into catching air etc.

The other thing about the fork is that it might have a light spring in it if it was set up properly for a girls weight. You can get a different spring from Fox, but that's just something to consider.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I think the '04 Vanilla was internally adjustable 80/100/125 and the '05 (and '06?) was internally adjustable 100/130.
So, that fork should be fine for that bike, but you might need to open it up and adjust it down to 100.
I have a 90/110/130 Talas on my Superlight. The 130 setting is great for downhills, but a bit too floppy feeling for general purpose. It's not terrible, but 100mm feels noticibly sharper in the handling department. Strengthwise, I think the Superlight can handle the 130mm as long as your dad is the cross country type rider and not into catching air etc.

The other thing about the fork is that it might have a light spring in it if it was set up properly for a girls weight. You can get a different spring from Fox, but that's just something to consider.
ok, this guy is probably right. :D

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
$400 is a good deal but make sure its going to fit him.

Edit: I just saw that you posted his size at 5'10, 210 lb. A medium should work. I'm 5'9" and 190 lb and ride a medium. Weight is not a problem for the air shock, but for the front, as I mentioned, you might need a stiffer spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.