Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Decapatator said:
Like say a firefly over a Fox-v
Absolutely. Not only does travel effect ride height, but some fork companies make taller forks. See if you can get the axel to crown measurement on the new fork and compare it to the old one. Marzocchi's A-to-C heights are taller than most other brands, regardless of travel. When you go with a taller fork, the front end of the bike will tend to wander or lift on steep climbs.

Also, consider that some bike makers put limitations on fork height/travel - so make sure your warranty won't expire with a longer fork (i.e. Santa Cruz Blur max fork travel 105mm). A longer fork can act as a lever and put increased stress on the head tube junction.

Does this answer the question?

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Sure it can.

Decapatator said:
Like say a firefly over a Fox-v
My Marzocchi Z1 FR SL raised the front end of my Enduro quite a bit. Of course, I went from 4" travel (Marzocchi MX) to 5".

Worth it, except on the climbs, where the front end tends to wander. The Z1 has a lockout, but it focks the fork up and I have to work on it later. :mad:

fp

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DLine said:
Absolutely. Not only does travel effect ride height, but some fork companies make taller forks. See if you can get the axel to crown measurement on the new fork and compare it to the old one. Marzocchi's A-to-C heights are taller than most other brands, regardless of travel. When you go with a taller fork, the front end of the bike will tend to wander or lift on steep climbs.

Also, consider that some bike makers put limitations on fork height/travel - so make sure your warranty won't expire with a longer fork (i.e. Santa Cruz Blur max fork travel 105mm). A longer fork can act as a lever and put increased stress on the head tube junction.

Does this answer the question?
I have a med Heckler and the fork is a 130mm firefly. I just had the bike built and I thought they gave me a large frame and not a med one. I like to have at least 1 inch clearence when standing over but now I have no clearence at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.