Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be a repetitive post, but here goes...

1. I'm 195-200 lbs and just bought a Giant Anthem X2...

2. The stock WTB Silverado saddle is lite (210 grams), but not as comfortable as my Specialized Avatar Gel (155mm width)...especially for 24 Hour Solo races/training (the WTB Silverado is pretty narrow)...

3. Is there hope for me?...Is there anything out there that might work, but weigh less than my 370 gram Specialized Avatar Gel?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I've done a few endurance events and the saddle is the last place that has ever crossed my mind as a good place to save weight. Run the one that's comfortable for you and you'll be much happier at the end of 12 hours, 24 hours, 100 miles, etc...

By the way, I run the recently ressurrected WTB SST (not light).

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right...endurances races are not the right time/place to skimp on the saddle...

I was thinking of using the lite Silverado for much shorter XC races (like the Sea Otter).

·
Registered
232 Posts
A WTB Shadow V and an old Cannondale OEM saddle (soon to be replaced with another Shadow V). Both of these keep my butt happy. One thing I have noticed during long races where I switch bikes, my rear likes to stay on the same seat. I will agree with everyone here... for endurance mountain biking, the seat is the last place you want to save weight (I also refuse to skimp on grips and pedals).

·
Registered
288 Posts
You might check out the WTB Laser V SLT, it has a claimed weight of 235 grams and at 142mm, it's a little wider than a Rocket V or Silverado. It's also softer. I've been using them for 5 or so years with no complaints... they're durable too.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Also check out the Bontrager Inform saddles. They come in 3 widths. The regular Inform has regular padding, where as the Race Lite and Race X Lite both have a higher density lighter foam. My RL is more comfy than my regular Inform. The varying widths, curvatures and densities really make a difference.

·
Tripolar on most days
440 Posts
Most people look at my Selle Itallia SLR and say ouch. I have to say that for me it is the most comfortable saddle I have used and its only 135 grams. I have done a few 100 milers on it riding both FS and rigid SS and feel no difference on my arsh.
WTB has a demo program at shops just try them out until you find the right fit.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ghostrider said:
Most people look at my Selle Itallia SLR and say ouch. I have to say that for me it is the most comfortable saddle I have used and its only 135 grams. I have done a few 100 milers on it riding both FS and rigid SS and feel no difference on my arsh.
WTB has a demo program at shops just try them out until you find the right fit.
I concur, I just picked up a Selle Italia SLR for my cross bike, did a six hour ride this weekend and never once thought about the saddle. I'm planning on adding one to my Titus now:thumbsup:

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's all about personal preference.

Many people on this site love their wtb's. I have two wtb's and hate them both. Ones on my fixed gear which I only ride at lunch. The other (cf devo) is on my new trance. I'll suffer with the one on my fixed gear because I rarely ride it more than 1.5hrs. The one on my trance will get replaced when I pick up my ride times early next year.

I've always like the sella italia flite for both my road and mtb bikes...

·
Dirt Huffer
1,755 Posts
Not that i've found. I stopped buying light saddles. Not only are they over priced but they're a pain in the ass. This includes Selle SLR and Specialized Phenom SL. I swear they're people on this forum that work for companies and hype their own products. My ass when numb on the Phenom SL with in a few miles yet the saddle is rated very high in the reviews section. Body Geometry hurt my ass more then the standard no cut out style.

·
Registered
686 Posts
AC/BC said:
Not that i've found. I stopped buying light saddles. Not only are they over priced but they're a pain in the ass. This includes Selle SLR and Specialized Phenom SL. I swear they're people on this forum that work for companies and hype their own products.
Sorry, I work for nobody. I was just voicing my opinion.
My favorite saddle from the mid 90's was a Flite and I think it was made by the same company as the SLR, so I've been on the payroll for years now:D :D :D

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Phenom

AC/BC said:
Not that i've found. I stopped buying light saddles. Not only are they over priced but they're a pain in the ass. This includes Selle SLR and Specialized Phenom SL. I swear they're people on this forum that work for companies and hype their own products. My ass when numb on the Phenom SL with in a few miles yet the saddle is rated very high in the reviews section. Body Geometry hurt my ass more then the standard no cut out style.
I do not like Specialized bikes but their equipment makes me happy. I've spent 21 hours on a Phenom and 12 on the toupe. I love 'em for some reason. The Gobi's used to work but they started making me go numb. Now if I get on a curved saddle like the gobi it feels like my prostate is getting crammed up into my throat.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.