Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I have an 09 that is currently set up as a 1x9. I put a new rear wheel on it, a derailluer and hanger off my Trek 69er, and a SRAM X9 shifter pod. The Rigs earlier than 08 will be more difficult since they don't have a derailluer hanger or cable stops. You might try building with an old Shimano Saint hub to get around the hanger issue and full length housing would also be necessary. You also might want to try running a bigger cog in the rear. They come with an 18 Tooth. I switched mine to a 20, and you could even go to a 21 o 22 with Surly cogs. Running 32 x 20 on my local trails as been pretty good - I don't tend to spin out much, and it makes the climbing more manageable. It is noticeably slow on the roads to the trails. For that you could add 36 T ring on the front and a 15 to the rear to get a second speed. This gives you a slightly slack chain when combined with the 32x20, but you won't have to readjust the EBB to use it - just pop the rear wheel and move the chain to the other combo, then reinstall and ride.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
'08 and '09 Rigs can be if they have a derailer hanger. It then needs cable and housing the full length of the system from shifter to derailer. Earlier Rigs have no provisions for a derailer hanger to be mounted. But all could have a internally geared hub installed.

But gop427 got it right as far as the stock gearing, and my sig below bears that out...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.