Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
carpe mañana
Joined
·
7,297 Posts
classic implies non-disc, so just to reiterate your point, QR cannot be converted to a 20mm, different axle gap in the shell. QR ISO shares the axle with the classic hub. And yes, 20mm can use the 24mm axle.

_MK
 

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
Joined
·
1,750 Posts
JRM,

How it going man? I ran into the same problem when I got a Pike for my 575. Ended up getting a Hugi Freeride, which can be converted from QR to 20mm. Hope also makes a hub that can be converted. What new fork are you getting that needs a 20mm axle?

Rode that trail you and I rode from the top of Mt. Wilson years ago. [email protected] that thing is fun. That was back when you had that black Heckler and Tacoma.

BTW Where are you living these days? I remember seeing a post a while back that you might be moving to SLO.
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,395 Posts
MK_ said:
classic implies non-disc, so just to reiterate your point, QR cannot be converted to a 20mm, different axle gap in the shell. QR ISO shares the axle with the classic hub. And yes, 20mm can use the 24mm axle.

_MK
I guess I was thinking of my own setup, thanks for the clarification.
 

·
Do It Yourself
Joined
·
5,720 Posts
Final nail...

jrm said:
without doing anything to the hub shell?
You couldn't do it even with a new hubshell. The 20mm hub bearings are much bigger than on the ISO/Classic. You're looking at a new hub to go to 20mm.
 

·
...
Joined
·
415 Posts
This might be a dumb question (but one I've been meaning to ask) but can you convert a king "classic" front to a disc hub ? If so does anyone know how much the conversion costs ?
 

·
carpe mañana
Joined
·
7,297 Posts
(Tom) said:
This might be a dumb question (but one I've been meaning to ask) but can you convert a king "classic" front to a disc hub ? If so does anyone know how much the conversion costs ?
You can by swapping the classic shell to a ISO shell. Cost is something in the neighborhood of $60 or $80. Contact King, they'll gladly let you know. You can make a salt shaker out of the old shell, King might sell you the plugs as well ;)

_MK
 

·
Do It Yourself
Joined
·
5,720 Posts
(Tom) said:
This might be a dumb question (but one I've been meaning to ask) but can you convert a king "classic" front to a disc hub ? If so does anyone know how much the conversion costs ?
It's closer to ninety something for the hubshell alone plus labor to replace. The rear you just need to change the hubshell but the front needs a new axel and axel caps which adds quite a bit to the deal. Go see you favorite King dealer for details. You'll have to go through them anyway since King quit dealing direct.
 

·
ಠ_ಠ
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Is there a stiffer/more robust option over a standard quick release or bolt-on skewers for standard Chris King ISO hubs?

I know they have a fun-bolts option for the rear, but is there anything for the front?
 

·
Do It Yourself
Joined
·
5,720 Posts
dulyebr said:
Is there a stiffer/more robust option over a standard quick release or bolt-on skewers for standard Chris King ISO hubs?

I know they have a fun-bolts option for the rear, but is there anything for the front?
20mm :p
 

·
ಠ_ಠ
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
I've read about some people using BMX bolt axles instead of skewers on Shimano Deore hubs. Is this possible with Chris King ISO's?
 

·
kneecap
Joined
·
1,642 Posts
I've had good luck with the specialized "stout" hub in the front, fits any size dropout, & axle size is the same all the way through the QR to the nut @ the other end. They feel stiffer to me, anyhow.
 

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
Joined
·
8,847 Posts
dulyebr said:
I've read about some people using BMX bolt axles instead of skewers on Shimano Deore hubs. Is this possible with Chris King ISO's?
nup. though you could use a steel non-QR allen bolt skewer to stiffen things up a bit. i've done that in tha past. seemed to make a difference, or maybe it's just in my head. not 20mm stiff, but moreso than a standard QR.

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/COMPHUSKWNQR/QR8000
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top