Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
Jonnyboy said:
190 x 50 are hard to come by 2nd hand in UK, so just wondering could a 200 x 50 do?

A question for Twisted I suppose
I wouldn't do it. You'd still have the same 5" travel, but would end up with a steeper head angle. If someone is just giving you the shock or you've already got it, you can go ahead and put it on so long as you've got the necessary 22mm x 6mm mounting hardware.

If you ran the Sin relaxed geo shock cleat, you'd get decent geometry, but shorter rear travel.

If you ran a big tall DH fork, this shock would balance out the angles, but still give just 5" in the rear. Always better to just run the 200" x 2.25" if you are going to run the eye-to-eye, so you'd get the 5.625" rear travel from it.

I think the Fury is too steep anyway stock.

Hope this helps.
 

·
Maaaaan
Joined
·
4,259 Posts
TWISTED said:
I wouldn't do it. You'd still have the same 5" travel, but would end up with a steeper head angle. If someone is just giving you the shock or you've already got it, you can go ahead and put it on so long as you've got the necessary 22mm x 6mm mounting hardware.

If you ran the Sin relaxed geo shock cleat, you'd get decent geometry, but shorter rear travel.

If you ran a big tall DH fork, this shock would balance out the angles, but still give just 5" in the rear. Always better to just run the 200" x 2.25" if you are going to run the eye-to-eye, so you'd get the 5.625" rear travel from it.

I think the Fury is too steep anyway stock.

Hope this helps.
That makes me wonder, what the geometry would be with the 2.25 X 7.87" shock and a 150mm fork.
Could someone build a "Super Fury"? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
Ericmopar said:
That makes me wonder, what the geometry would be with the 2.25 X 7.87" shock and a 150mm fork.
Could someone build a "Super Fury"? :D
.

For me, the head angle would be way too steep. The 7.875" shock might work pretty good if you put a 170mm or 190mm front fork. That would give you 5.6" rear travel.

My Fury has a 160mm 36rc and the 7.5" rear shock. I thought the head angle was still too steep, so am using a custom MC spacer under the shock cleat to slacken the angle a little.

If I get boored, I could bolt my Dorado and a 7.875" shock on my Fury to see how it works.
I still also need to see how a Sin shock cleat works. It might go well with the longer rear shock,
 

·
Maaaaan
Joined
·
4,259 Posts
I should have said 160mm. I was thinking of the Fox 36s when I wrote the above.
I was looking at the shock cleat on my San An and it got me to wondering.
It seems like they should be able to make one, that slackens the geometry some, without decreasing the travel.
Hell, if MC chose to do an in house Super Fury, they could make an entirely new shock cleat to go with a 160mm fork and / or slightly modify the upper shock mount.
Can you tell, I'm thinking of the future replacement for my San An Classic. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
Ericmopar said:
I should have said 160mm. I was thinking of the Fox 36s when I wrote the above.
I was looking at the shock cleat on my San An and it got me to wondering.
It seems like they should be able to make one, that slackens the geometry some, without decreasing the travel.
Hell, if MC chose to do an in house Super Fury, they could make an entirely new shock cleat to go with a 160mm fork and / or slightly modify the upper shock mount.
Can you tell, I'm thinking of the future replacement for my San An Classic. :D
Good News!
The next batch of Furys will have a slacker head angle by a couple degrees. These should be nice frames.

No "Super Fury", but would you be interested in a bigger Battery?;)
 

·
Maaaaan
Joined
·
4,259 Posts
TWISTED said:
Good News!
The next batch of Furys will have a slacker head angle by a couple degrees. These should be nice frames.

No "Super Fury", but would you be interested in a bigger Battery?;)
Hmmmmmm... I want a Fury with a little more travel and a 14.5" BB height for Bootleg...or new shorter shock mounts for my San An. :D

Super Fury would sound good I bet, if translated to French.
Or we could call it, Le Mirage...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
Ericmopar said:
Hmmmmmm... I want a Fury with a little more travel and a 14.5" BB height for Bootleg...or new shorter shock mounts for my San An. :D

Super Fury would sound good I bet, if translated to French.
Or we could call it, Le Mirage...
Kinda, but a Heckler doesn't come with an interrnal gearbox.:thumbsup: :eek: :D

hint
 

·
Maaaaan
Joined
·
4,259 Posts
TWISTED said:
Kinda, but a Heckler doesn't come with an interrnal gearbox.:thumbsup: :eek: :D

hint
You must have read my original post before I edited it for sacrilege. :rolleyes:
I'm not sure what to make of the internal gearbox's. In some ways they are really cool, but they don't pedal as efficient as a traditional drivetrain.
Nope...I definitely want a Super Fury.
We can rebuilt it...to make it better...stronger...faster than before ( insert Six Million Dollar Man music. )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
TWISTED said:
Kinda, but a Heckler doesn't come with an interrnal gearbox.:thumbsup: :eek: :D

hint
Your singing my tune!!!:thumbsup:
So let's see... We got the Grumble & now a Super Fury... I can hardly contain myself!
What's next???? Looks like I will have to sell the house to finance a few new purchases come the end of year:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
masnumata said:
How about a 140mm fork with 2.25 x 7.875 rear shock?
Personally I think you would be better off with the stock 7.5 X 2 shock.
The 7.875 shock would steepen the head angle quite a bit.
I'm running a 145mm fork,7.5 shock, and the head angle feels about right.
 

·
Bike Crusader~
Joined
·
240 Posts
I've changed my rear shock to a 7.875 x 2.25 (2006 Fox Vanilla R with Propedal) with stock cleat!
I'm running a modified Fox Vanilla R at 5.5" in the front, and this evens out the 5.5-5.6" rear travel with the 2.25 stroke rear shock.

Had a night trail ride last Saturday and I can say that the ride is SUPERB!!! The ride just feels balanced, it climbs well, descends well, corners well ! I've measured the head angle and it's around 69.5deg, feels very natural.... I've got a 5mm stem spacer below my stem (5deg, 75mm) and the ride is extremely good for trail riding and jumping.....

I've never been so satisfied with a frame before, thanks Mountain Cycle!

Cheers!
Mas :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
masnumata said:
I've changed my rear shock to a 7.875 x 2.25 (2006 Fox Vanilla R with Propedal) with stock cleat!
I'm running a modified Fox Vanilla R at 5.5" in the front, and this evens out the 5.5-5.6" rear travel with the 2.25 stroke rear shock.

Had a night trail ride last Saturday and I can say that the ride is SUPERB!!! The ride just feels balanced, it climbs well, descends well, corners well ! I've measured the head angle and it's around 69.5deg, feels very natural.... I've got a 5mm stem spacer below my stem (5deg, 75mm) and the ride is extremely good for trail riding and jumping.....

I've never been so satisfied with a frame before, thanks Mountain Cycle!

Cheers!
Mas :)
Cool.. Can you measure the bottom bracket height?
I should be trying a 7.875 X 2.25 shock and a few different forks (160mm RS Domain,150mm Marz Z1,145mm Nixon)out with the Sin relaxed cleat shortly and I'd like to compare the differences..:thumbsup:
 

·
Bike Crusader~
Joined
·
240 Posts
mcrumble69 said:
Cool.. Can you measure the bottom bracket height?
I should be trying a 7.875 X 2.25 shock and a few different forks (160mm RS Domain,150mm Marz Z1,145mm Nixon)out with the Sin relaxed cleat shortly and I'd like to compare the differences..:thumbsup:
Just measured the BB height at 14.3 inches unsagged...
Should be around 13 inches with sag.... I don't feel the high BB at all when riding or cornering...
(Kinda explains why i didn't hit my pedals on rocks/ obstacles the last trail ride I went... Would have hit my pedal on some rock or high root on my previous Specialized FSR XC; my friend who was riding a stumpy was complaining of hitting his crank 2 times in one ride hehe.... Rather deep scratch into the crank too oops...)

Cheers!
Mas :)
 

·
Bike Crusader~
Joined
·
240 Posts
mcrumble69 said:
Cool.. Can you measure the bottom bracket height?
I should be trying a 7.875 X 2.25 shock and a few different forks (160mm RS Domain,150mm Marz Z1,145mm Nixon)out with the Sin relaxed cleat shortly and I'd like to compare the differences..:thumbsup:
Any update?

I just went riding up a hill twice yesterday night on the Fury, and what I can say is....

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

I was going up all the way in my middle chainring as compared to previous frames where I had to use the granny!!!!!! [Average gradient: 5.5%. (Steepest: 9%)]

Good mono pivot frames are super underrated IMO..... The ride characteristics on the Fury feel very similar to VPP to me.....

Also I think 5inch travel is too little for the Fury, it really needs a 2.25" stroke shock (5.5-5.6inch travel) instead of a 2" (5 inch travel) to bring out its full potential...

Cheers!
Mas (Damn Happy MC Fury Owner-Rider) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
Nice!!!!
I haven't had a chance to try it with the longer shock yet. I still need to get the mounting hardware.
On Sunday I rode mine with a 7.5 Air shock and the Sin relaxed geometry cleat.
It lowers the rear and slackens the head angle. I really like the feel.
The trails I rode were all tight,twisty,and super technical rocky singletrack. It felt incredible on the downhills,slickrock,and flat sections.
The downsides are that combo lowers the BB so I hit my crank arms quite a bit at first.
Once I got used to it it wasn't too bad though.
It also didn't climb as well as stock, but that doesn't mean much because stock the Fury is the best climbing bike I have ever ridden. :thumbsup:
The Sin cleat also drops the travel quite a bit, but I really didn't notice it. The only drop I did was a 1 footer? to flatish and I didn't use full travel. I would have gone bigger but I didn't want to destroy my 24 spoke wheelset. :D I'm going to run my freeride wheelset on my next ride.

That said, Just so everyone knows, The main reason I'm trying this set up is because I'm short and with the stock cleat the bike sits a "bit" too high in the rear. It can feel awkward on "some" local technical trails,and on the downhills even with the seat dropped all the way.
The Sin cleat cures this.
 

·
Bike Crusader~
Joined
·
240 Posts
Super Fury Ver.MASA

Update! Thread resurrection time!!!

I've just installed a Rockshox Domain 318 160mm (6.2inch) fork in the front, while keeping the 7.875x2.25 fox vanilla rear shock with stock cleat (to get 5.5-5.6inch of travel), and........

IT'S AWWWWWWWWWWESOMEEEEEEE!!!!!

It's soooooooooooooo much better than the previous setup (140mm fork in front) Now the bike feels like it will take on anything the rider throws at it..... Just raise the seat to ride long distance, and lower it for street riding/jumping.....

Steering is awesome, it's not twitchy at anymore, most probably from the slackened head tube angle..... I had to move the stem to the lowest position to compensate for the increased crown to axle height, but this height is spot on!!!! Now I can cycle the bike without my hands, while previously I had to keep a hand on coz it wasn't too stable...

BB height is no issue as I still feel stable cornering at speeds, plus I can still put in some pedal strokes when cornering hard!! Cornering is seriously stable and sick.... Even better than with the 140mm fork and 10mm worth of spacers under the stem....

So far I've only been able to test it out on the street, but I will be bringing it to the trail and some small dirt jumping this weekend..... It will be a Beast UNLEASHED.......

Till the next Update!
Cheers!
Mas :D

P.S: I will go measure the BB height and update again~
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top