Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the kicker of deciding if I want this fork or not. I just need it to be a decent climber. Doesn't have to be the best, but I need some skill out if it. Thx!

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
As far as I know 36 Van's can't climb. Not sure of any fork that can climb :confused: :smilewinkgrin:

Best to let us know what frame it is going on, what fork you have on now, and finally how have you been handling the climbs now ?~?

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
All Mountain said:
As far as I know 36 Van's can't climb. Not sure of any fork that can climb :confused: :smilewinkgrin:

Best to let us know what frame it is going on, what fork you have on now, and finally how have you been handling the climbs now ?~?
darn - you stole my answer! :madmax:

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
The suggestion of the new Nixon on the other post was better than you think. It's the only one that drops about a pound or more over those other forks. Losing a pound helps you climb...but you notice that I said the word "you". Anyway you look at this, you're the motor. All the fork can do is either be lighter to help you climb easier or have travel reduction if you're a rider who needs or wants that feature to help you climb. All decent forks should have enough performance to keep front wheel traction to sustain your climbing effort.

I currently have a Van 36, an '06 66SL, a modified Z150SL, and an '08 Nixon 160. I've run all of them on my Nomad at one point or the other. None of these forks have a true travel reduction for on-the-trail use. The Nixon is the best climber by virtue of being noticeably lighter than the others...5.5lbs for the Van 36...5.7lbs for the 66SL...5.5lbs for the Z150SL...and 4.5lbs for the Nixon 160. Sounds like a better climber to me...LOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
All Mountain said:
oh.... you got this other thread going ... forgot about that....

I take it you decided on the 36 VAN for the Enduro Elite.... but what fork was on it before ?~?
yeah, probably going with the 36. My LBS has one for me for $675 which I think is a pretty good deal. Right now, I have a 07 Float RL (oem) which i don't like at all. My LBS guys tell me the 36 Van is a great match for the 07 Enduro. I'm more excited about shuttle runs, but I want to do some climbing too so I can work for the DH :)

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
mjsca07 said:
yeah, probably going with the 36. My LBS has one for me for $675 which I think is a pretty good deal. Right now, I have a 07 Float R (oem) which i don't like at all. My LBS guys tell me the 36 Van is a great match for the 07 Enduro. I'm more excited about shuttle runs, but I want to do some climbing too so I can work for the DH :)

I will say yes. Seems like it probably should have been originally sold with a 36 talas or simliar, but never rode an Enduro.

You may need to lower your bar to help 'get on top' of the fork for the climbs.

·
Registered
410 Posts
How does the Nixion feel with regards to small bump compression (specifically compared to the 36 talas)

Also the '08 36 vanilla is the same weight as the '07 36 talas, so you could go coil without adding weight

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Just saw this...

socalenduro said:
How does the Nixion feel with regards to small bump compression (specifically compared to the 36 talas)

Also the '08 36 vanilla is the same weight as the '07 36 talas, so you could go coil without adding weight
Been gone riding the last 3 days...on this setup. I'll say at this point that this fork has the best damper I've experienced yet. It's an air fork, but it doesn't dive or blow through its mid-stroke. I can't see how Manitou got such a balance of small bump compliance that still takes big hits with such control. I've had TPC+ carted forks before, but the shim setup in this one is impressive. Coming from the '06 66SL that was on this bike, I can't believe how stiff and precise this fork is for a 160mm travel, 32mm stanchion platform. Frankly I thought it might be a little noodly. I thought I'd try this fork on my Nomad, but then later put the 66SL back on and put the Nixon on my Bullit for a trail bike setup. The more I'm riding this fork, the more I'm seeing that it may be my primary fork. Not what I expected.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts