Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I already made a thread about thinking about buying a bmx bike, but I had one more question: I just started riding park, urban, etc, and what I was wondering is will I ever be limited by my bike while trying to learn stuff in the park. the only reason I would ever get a bmx bike is if there was stuff I needed a bmx bike to learn. Aside from stuff involving pegs, is my bike ever gonna keep me from progressing in the future, or learning now for that matter. Thanks

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
The theory behind the 24" wheel bike concept , for me at least was the bigger wheels go faster and therefore let you go higher and bigger the suspension was the added "cush" to help control this . I have always looked at riding my 24" bike as progression after riding bmx for years .
I can do everything on my bigger wheeled bike that I can do on my bmx .

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BikeSATORI said:
IMO you should rethink it as, "can I do as much on a 24" street mtb as I can on a BMX?"

it depends more on you, than the bike. :)
I know, but as long as its possible for me to do something I'm willing to work towards it. What I was asking is if there was stuff that I just would not be able to do/learn on the 24"

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
you can actually do more, as 24" bikes allow suspension forks. This isn't really any skill or anything, but it's nice to not have the wrists hurting . . .

But as far as tricks go, anything on a BMX can be done on a 24", depending on what the 24"er is running . . .

·
brooklyn bike rider
506 Posts
well, you can look at darren berrecloth and see how his bmx skills transfered over to mtbs.

but then you can look at all the top bmxers and see how much further they're progressing.

i'd like to see the top mtb freestylers ride park or street or dj with the top bmxers.

bmx bikes are much much much more flickable than mtbs.

mtbs can go bigger more easily; they're more forgiving.

it might just be a tad harder to do a frontflip from a tailtap or whatever.

but some mtb riders can do it; they're getting there.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
It depends. On big open DJ lines if anything IMO a BMX bike would hold you back, because it's just easier to go big on a 24. But in the park, I think that tech tricks are way easier on a BMX. If you're not going to be doing 540 tailtaps and t-whips than either one will work great though.

·
Registered
916 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ I agree with Ojai. But I don't think a bmx would hold you back on big open dj's if you have the nerve and skills. True the sus forks would be more forgiving but not easier. Bmx lately is seriously tech, way more than mtb freestyle is right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.