Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s the deal: Karate Monkey singlespeed, with a 130mm Bomber Z2 fork, and some pretty beefy enduro-type Raceface 30mm internal rims.

Almost all of my riding is on primitive, rocky, natural trails on the East coast. When I say rocky, I mean relentless slow rock gardens that a lot people can’t clean. Sometimes the trails also get a little muddy.

My stipulation is that I want big volume tires. I want to max out the Karate Monkey specs, so definitely a 29x2.5 in the back and a 29x2.6 or bigger in the front. I also want super durable tires, weight doesn’t matter a ton. Rolling resistance is somewhat important, but meh.

Any recommendations? Maxxis Assegai or Aggressor? Minoon DHF/DHR?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
It’s hard to go wrong with the Schwalbe Magic Mary. I had sworn off them years ago due to lack of durability but tried them again this year and they absolutely defeat the Minions in mud and steep tech. I use the Addix Soft version (orange stripe) and they held up very well and had insane traction in the dry or wet. The wetter it is, the more they pull away from the Minions I’ve always used. The Ultra Soft (purple stripe) version is even softer and has more grip, but at the expense of longevity. Personally I think the Soft version has good enough grip. The only other tire I’ve used that has equivalent traction in the wet/mud and/or unpacked dry loam is the Maxxis Shorty. Those only come in 2.4” though. 2.35” Magics are close to 2.5” actual; the 2.6” version must be huge.

Since you mentioned rolling resistance, I’d worry more about that in the rear. Maybe a Hans Dampf or Minion DHF (better rolling than a DHR II; same cornering grip).

Assegai will pack up in the mud; then you’ll have a semi-slick tire. Aggressors— same.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.