Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some good camping suggestions/advice...Heading to Trestle/Keystone in July.

We are interested in camping, doing some fishing on our down time while we rest between parks and we are looking for the best place to camp. I figured I might as well ask to see what you guys have done in the past.

I'm not sure if it is available but I am envisioning, Camping near a river or lake, cooking some freshly caught fish over a fire pit, and possibly even heading out on an evening xc ride or something along those lines...

Does anyone have any suggestion that may have those things we are looking for.

We will need a place a car can access also, no 4wd on this trip.

I'd appreciate any helping finding a camping spot. We're open to hammock camping also so if it has good trees and not so much the flattest spots to throw down a tent then that is fine also.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
There's a couple campgrounds north of Dillon on highway 9. Also, some primitive spots up montezuma road.,

·
Woohooo!
5,104 Posts
dillon reservoir has campground camping, off swam mountain road.
If you don't already have a reservation, good luck... Plus there isn't actually access to the Resivoir from the campground--it's an off trail free-hike down.

What about Steamboat Lake and riding Steamboat? I haven't been to the lake in years, and I've nervier ridden the Boat, but it sounds like they have don a bunch of trails.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see "Fraser River" on the map which is closer to the park. Anyone fish in it? The lake is about an hour drive to Trestle so i'd like something closer of possible. I wonder if you can camp near this river?

Primitive camping is just fine also.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
If you don't already have a reservation, good luck... Plus there isn't actually access to the Resivoir from the campground--it's an off trail free-hike down.

What about Steamboat Lake and riding Steamboat? I haven't been to the lake in years, and I've nervier ridden the Boat, but it sounds like they have don a bunch of trails.
Steamboat Lake is 40mins away from the resort, but only 10mins from Seedhouse Rd trails by Clark, CO. If you go up to the lake, play on the N Routt trails. If you're near town, then all sorts of options are open w/o driving.

Edit: oh yeah, and the place has a ridonkulous amounts of snow this season. I don't see their high country ride being accessible until late June...either that or the valley will be under water from a rapid melt.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts

Not that I'm real familiar with the layout of all the campgrounds around Dillon, but access to the reservoir is pretty easy from all of them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fraser is fly and lure only. Try St Louis Creek, no shade, next to creek, trails with loops leaving the campground.
Thanks, checking into it now. This might be our best bet, I guess it all depends on what is available when we arrive. Thanks for the help, I welcome any other suggestions, we may head up to Estes for a day or so when we rest between parks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There is camping along the Blue River north of Silverthorne, mostly primitive but right next to the hwy with bathrooms. Great river to fish and swim in. 30 min from Keystone and probably an hour from WP.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts