Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Tent Camping

There are lots of great tent sites around Moab. What you'd like best is going to depend on services you need and what you want to be close to. Here's a very general breakdown of options and areas.

Up the Creek Campground in Moab is by far the best commercial tent campground. Commercial sites (found in town only) are going to be the only place you'll get running water, showers, or any kind of services beyond pit toilets and picnic tables.

Sites at Sand Flats, along Kane Creek rd, and Willow Springs rd (north of town) are popular and have good riding options close by.

Sites along the Colorado river and in the National Parks can be really nice camping wise, but aren't close to riding or town.

I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite (specific) spots among these choices. Good luck with your trip.

FW

·
Registered
332 Posts
Tent Camping with Benefits

The Portal RV Resort - North Section is my favorite location if you want a tent site at a descent price and all the amenities a biker needs. Located on the edge of town and far enough back from the main road. They won't let you cross the fence into the South Section for a dip in the pool or hot tub but they have a clean clear water pond you can jump in on a warm day. The deer come in from the river to visit at night also.

Portal RV Resort, Moab Utah Page 12.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check if Up the Creek and the Portal RV Resort are available.

I don't need anything fancy but something with running water, hot showers, and somewhat clean would be good. I'll be staying during Outerbike so I'm guessing a lot of the campgrounds may already be filled.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
A couple of the bike shops in town--as well as other places--have showers, so you don't necessarily need running water at your campsite. There is an RV campground with a gas station just north of the Outerbike site where you can buy showers. It's very clean. Generally, showers cost $5-$10.

For drinking water, the climbing shop next to City Market offers free filtered water. City Market is on Main St. near the south end of town. As you face City Market, the climbing shop is to the right across the street.

I don't think anyone mentioned it yet, but the biggest camping area in Moab is up by the Slick Rock trail (not to be confused with the Slick Rock Campground). There must be a hundred numbered campsites up there. I believe your camping fee includes the entrance fee to the Slick Rock trail area.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Up the Creek is booked but Portal RV is still available. Any other specific camp sites (in town or along Kane Creek or Sand Flats) that I should look into?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Up the Creek is booked but Portal RV is still available. Any other specific camp sites (in town or along Kane Creek or Sand Flats) that I should look into?
im headed to moab the first week in Nov, and am also looking for a good campsite for a couple of us. i got a heads up from a client that said that there is a site just over the bridge on the left after the colorado river. I looked things up online and saw that it might be called Goose Island campground. My client said the views of the 1000 ft red clif walls are awesome.

i plan on making some phone calls soon, but would also like to hear from others with good recommendations

·
Registered
242 Posts
The SLC MTB meetup dot com group just camped at Goose Island. Wasn't with them, but the feedback I've seen shows it to be quite good.

I've camped at Sand Flats just past the Slickrock trailhead multiple times. Plenty of good spots up that way.
Also camped at Goldbar (on the Colorado, west of town, near Poison Spider Mesa) and that was very nice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts