Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some friends and I are looking to get up to Mt. Hood next weekend for some good old family car camping. I'd love to avoid the big RV type spots which seems to be just about all I can find on the internet. Ideally, I'd love to find something similar to the trailhead at 15-mile. It'll be two families with two children and four dogs. A shaded area is pretty important and a lake or stream nearby would be ideal. Any advice on info sites or personal experiences would be a huge help.

Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Camp Creek campground just outta Rhododendon is nice. The sites along the creek are the best. The Pioneer Bridal trail goes right by it. There's also a trail over to Still Creek Rd. Lotsa "off-the-grid" camps along Still creek as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I really like Eight Mile campground up hwy 44 (I think) towards Dufur. It is a primitive campground (no running water, pack out your trash) which deters the RV crowd.

An added bonus is that it sits at the trailhead for 8-mile/Knebal trail. you can ride these loops right out of camp. 15 mile and surveyors are also close.

·
Registered
105 Posts
How about Timothy Lake?

It is about ten or so miles east of the Hwy 35 junction off of Hwy 26. There is a 15 mile lake loop that is pretty fun (fast and tight or slow and easy for younger ones) and the lake is beautiful with a huge view of Mt. Hood, nice camp sites on the lake and I think there are showers - not positive on this.

Seems like the perfect car camping spot and the loop trail runs through the camp ground. Should be perfect right about now. Good swimming and a really fun ride. Get a solid map as there is one tricky intersection - you can't get lost, but you might miss some of the single track if you get it wrong.

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, we still have a week to sort it out, but right now the plan is to head up FR44 and stop at each consecutive site until we find one. If Knebal Springs has an open site, that's where it'll be, otherwise we'll just keep heading east. Seems that we have eight or so possible stops before we run out of choices.

Does one need to reserve any of these primitive sites or can you show up with a forest pass and be good to go?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.