Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well I love to go camping and mountain biking, so I am planning a trip where I can do both.

I want to go where temperatures will be cooler and the mountain biking won't be the same old local stuff I can get here.

I decided the tahoe area is best, for it's mountainous regions and cool temperatures in the summer. Only problem is, I have no clue where to look or where the good places are. All I know is that I want to sleep in my tent, get up, walk out, and go ride trails right from the campground, if that's possible.

So I turn to many of you who probably already know/have been to the best places like that int he tahoe area. Any help is GReatly appreciated.

P.S - anyone is welcome to join!

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Lotsa places to ride at Tahoe, although there is still lots of high altitude snow. The problem with your scenario is wanting to ride from where you camp. Hmm.

firs thing that comes to my mind is that there is a Nevada State Park that is the jumping off point for one end of the Flume Trail. Spooner Lake, I think, although I'm not sure that is the park name. From there you could do the Flume Trail as an out and back or one way and ride the shuttle back. And I think you could hit some toerh trails as well.

Check with Wherewolf; he knows that area.

·
Hill crawler
314 Posts
An obvious one is Watson Lake in the triangle between Truckee, Tahoe City, and Kings Beach. Let me know and I'll go up and clean up the garbage left by prior visitors. It's a mess up there :madmax:

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
Do you want to drive to the camp site or bike in? If you bike in Marlette Peak Campground is right on Tahoe Rim Trail above the Flume and Marlette Lake.

Nevada State Beach is nice because it is so close to StateLine.

Spooner Lake has some very nice cabins to rent and you are right on a network of trailheads.

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how it works up there, but I am looking for something like you pay per night to camp, and you get a paved space for your car Right next to where you camp. So I can park my truck there, and unload everything right next to it in the dirt (with a firepit) and set up camp, then drive to trailheads that are within 5 miles, unload the bikes and ride some trails, and then go back to camp whenever.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Damn it.

We need a focking Tahoe board, then right after that, a Downieville board.

Wayyyy down the list, a Rockville board.

Nothing personal, but :madman:

fp

·
Lightly salted
1,388 Posts
Try icehouseresort-dot-com There is a lodge or pay per night camping which is pretty nice and you should have no trouble pulling right in with a car or truck to the camp site. Camp sites have a table and benches with a fire pit with a lake near by. From there web site theres a list of all the bike trails in the area with directions from the camp site. I was up there a few months ago with my bike but got snowed in and we ended up leaving early so I have not tried any of there trails yet.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Check out ZephyrCoveResort.com. Pretty close to Flume and other sections of the Tahoe Rim trail. Camping is good, showers clean, beach and volleyball across the street.

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I liked the icy resort one, and I briefly looked at the zephyr one. Which one would have more mountain bikers and be catered more towards mountain bikers / location of trails.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Only know TRT from Mt. Rose to Kingsbury

HarryCallahan said:
Check with Wherewolf; he knows that area.
I only know TRT from Mt. Rose to Spooner to Kingsbury, and I am now wealthy enough to afford Motel 6 ;) So I don't camp. I suspect if the trailhead has to be right next to the tent then his options may be limited, at least for something higher up. Google reveals lots of information, but there does not seem to be that many camping areas there. Here is one source: http://www.explorer1.com/tahoe/camping.htm

·
Registered
6,176 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Last summer we camped at the Mt. Rose campground and were able to ride from our campsite directly to TRT. Some will suggest shuttling it, but we just did it as an out-and-back + loop to Marlette.

Close to Ice House is Loon Lake and either doing the loop around the lake plus the Rubicon (jeep) trail, or riding straight to the granite slabs for some Moab-like quasi-slickrock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.