Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good campsite to hit Spooner-Kingsbury TRT and also Kingsbury TRT-Toads.

The FS website says camping along the TRT is cool. I'm looking for a place where we could do one of these rides w/o additional driving.

I'm familiar with all of the official campsites in Tahoe.

Anybody have any thoughts? Any spots along Forest Service roads that parallell the TRT?
What about on the TRT near Hwy89?

Thanks for the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
Brah said:
I'm looking for a good campsite to hit Spooner-Kingsbury TRT and also Kingsbury TRT-Toads.

The FS website says camping along the TRT is cool. I'm looking for a place where we could do one of these rides w/o additional driving.

I'm familiar with all of the official campsites in Tahoe.

Anybody have any thoughts? Any spots along Forest Service roads that parallell the TRT?
What about on the TRT near Hwy89?

Thanks for the help!
Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but Zephyr Cove has campsites right across from their beach. Drive to both Spooner and Kingsbury is not too bad as you probably know already. Added bonus is good sand volleyball, beach, cocktails, etc, within walking distance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ebo said:
Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but Zephyr Cove has campsites right across from their beach. Drive to both Spooner and Kingsbury is not too bad as you probably know already. Added bonus is good sand volleyball, beach, cocktails, etc, within walking distance.
Thanks, that's the Nevada Beach campsite... we're actually hoping to avoid the south shore scene, so we'd like to camp near/on the TRT. I'm sure we'll find space, but I'm hoping someone can share experiences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,817 Posts
There is a forrest service rd.

just east of the summit parking area....on the south side of hwy that ends up at the TRT just before you start the final steep rocky climb up to Bliss Peak....You can also access from west of the summit near the spooner lake turnoff.....this rd. crosses the the TRT.....if you have ridden spooner to kingsbury you probably know where I am talking about.

I have seen people camping here before....there is a large clearing just east of the trail. Looks like a great spot.

Here is the rub......If you are planning a two day ride doing the east side of the TRT....you will be left with about 13 miles (11 on the TRT) before you even start up towards Monument Pass......with a long way to go to Toads. I have been thinking about doing this ride (mt rose to toads) for a couple of years....just have not got around to figuring it out. I think the place to camp would be closer to the kingsbury if there is access to the TRT on the south side of Bliss Peak (if I had my handy Tahoe Rec map I would be looking at it now...).

The other alternative as stated before is to bomb down the Chinese downhill to Nevada Beach....then have someone take you up to the top of kingsbury for the secong leg.

Please let us know what you end up doing....my brother has offered to support a two day ride for me and friends this summer and I am leaning towards trying to do this ride.

A couple friends of mine did Mt. Rose to Toads in a single day last year (64 miles 9.5 hrs) Thats not for me! Ouch!

s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bigboulder said:
just east of the summit parking area....on the south side of hwy that ends up at the TRT just before you start the final steep rocky climb up to Bliss Peak....You can also access from west of the summit near the spooner lake turnoff.....this rd. crosses the the TRT.....if you have ridden spooner to kingsbury you probably know where I am talking about.

I have seen people camping here before....there is a large clearing just east of the trail. Looks like a great spot.

Here is the rub......If you are planning a two day ride doing the east side of the TRT....you will be left with about 13 miles (11 on the TRT) before you even start up towards Monument Pass......with a long way to go to Toads. I have been thinking about doing this ride (mt rose to toads) for a couple of years....just have not got around to figuring it out. I think the place to camp would be closer to the kingsbury if there is access to the TRT on the south side of Bliss Peak (if I had my handy Tahoe Rec map I would be looking at it now...).

The other alternative as stated before is to bomb down the Chinese downhill to Nevada Beach....then have someone take you up to the top of kingsbury for the secong leg.

Please let us know what you end up doing....my brother has offered to support a two day ride for me and friends this summer and I am leaning towards trying to do this ride.

A couple friends of mine did Mt. Rose to Toads in a single day last year (64 miles 9.5 hrs) Thats not for me! Ouch!

s
Excellent info -- thanks!

Damn! Rose-Toads in one day.... that's an epic ride!

My goal for this trip is to do my last two remaining sections of the TRT: Spooner-Kingsbury (as an out an back ~25 miles), and Kingsbury-Toads (point-to-point~30miles).

Technically, I would still have one, small bikeable section of the TRT to do in the future, from Big Meadow towards Echo Summit, although only part is rideable.

There doesn't appear to be any camping near Kingsbury Grade... I know the area fairly well, and I haven't seen any indications on the topos (unless one were to ride in a few miles)... so Spooner will be the spot.

I haven't been on Spooner Summit for a while, and am hoping to get my friends up there w/o having to do recon beforehand. I think what you're telling me will be enough to go on. I've checked out the FS road on topos, and it's good to know that there's a good clearing to camp on. We don't need much!

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
There is also a short forest road right about across from the entrance to Spooner Lake. Supposedly at the end, there is a primitive campsite where others have spent the night. "Radair" over on Passion stayed there before last years Downieville gathering.
 

·
NedwannaB
Joined
·
12,784 Posts
Good intel. Hopefully the OP found a place to camp soon after they started thread 14+ years ago. 😀
 

·
Hella Olde
Joined
·
2,541 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out - I was reading this thinking they will be at/near Freezing Balls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, hardcore emeffurs wether they were camping OR riding!
Yes we are, thank you very much.

One cool place to camp are the two Cabins that Nevada State Parks rents out right there at Spooner. One is about 0.5 mile in on North Canyon Road, the other maybe 2 miles in.
The have propane stove to keep you warm even through tonight's storm!
 

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
Joined
·
19,859 Posts
Yeah, I think I'll head up tonight. I hear conditions are good and I won't need chains or nuthin'. Got a fresh pair of shorts to put in the duffle, along with some tank tops and beach towels.

Should I even bring a tent, or can I just lay out in the hammock under the stars?

Lots of restaurants up there, so I won't even bother bringing food. Now, where did I put them flip-flops?
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top