Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to camp there this weekend but all that is available is the area for horse camping. The lady on the phone said the horse smell can linger. im taking my GF camping for her birthday and I'd prefer to avoid the smell of **** if possible. Can anyone tell me if this will be a problem?

·
Registered
636 Posts
If your GF may be concerned by smells, you may want to reconsider roughing it. Summer heat in FL and camping can yield some interesting smells and bugs.

Overcoming smells is the sign of a long relationship

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just hoping that someone has camped there and their experience was pleasant. I think i will chance it and hope for the best. maybe there will be a cancellation at the other loop.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I know a few people that have tented it during Nov - Feb and they had a decent time. The couple of people that I know that have done it over the summer had an AC camper and were fine. I couldn't imagine it being enjoyable during the summer in a tent in FL. Good luck with it though.

·
Dirt Eater
301 Posts
I wouldn't take her camping there in the summer. I wouldnt take anyone camping there in the summer. I just spent two night on the Dry Tortugas, and even with the sea breeze and being on the water, it was a little too hot at night for my tastes. Alafai would be brutal. If it's her birthday, find a nice hotel room and treat her to diner. If you want to run her off, take her to Alafai.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TheBigC said:
I wouldn't take her camping there in the summer. I wouldnt take anyone camping there in the summer. I just spent two night on the Dry Tortugas, and even with the sea breeze and being on the water, it was a little too hot at night for my tastes. Alafai would be brutal. If it's her birthday, find a nice hotel room and treat her to diner. If you want to run her off, take her to Alafai.
We went camping there about a month ago and had a good time. I was just concerned with the smell. In any case, she just texted me and isn't feeling well. Maybe it's preemptive heat stroke.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
We were there abut a monh ago in the horse loop. no one had horses the weekend we were there. They were mostly MTBers and a few older couples. the heat wasn't bad for us cause we were in a winabago. I would make ssure you bring a fan to put in your tent. I kknow my tent has that little opening for a power cord.

Have fun!

·
turtles make me hot
11,519 Posts
Stay at Barefoot Bay Marina over in Clearwater Beach. Have breakfast at the luncheonette across the road by the Post Office and drive over to Alafia for some biking.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
NYrr496 said:
Stay at Barefoot Bay Marina over in Clearwater Beach. Have breakfast at the luncheonette across the road by the Post Office and drive over to Alafia for some biking.
How far of a drive is that?

·
Cannondale Snob
715 Posts
NYrr496 said:
forty five min??
Over an hours drive from Clearwater Beach to Alafia. Stay in Appollo Beach and you're less than 20 minutes away.

·
Motobey
276 Posts
Sarasota, Long boat are better places to stay. Close to Alafia, and Boyette. Camping here in Fl in the summer? why? when you have the beaches so close. I live here and I wish I could go to a cooler place during the summer. Plus you don't want to be on a tent when the storms come by, bad idea. If you plan to ride due early in the a.m. If you do it in the afternoon watch out for the storms (in FL. most storms produce lots of lightining bolts. Pretty to see from indoors. Dangerous outdoors).

·
turtles make me hot
11,519 Posts
RiskEverything said:
Over an hours drive from Clearwater Beach to Alafia. Stay in Appollo Beach and you're less than 20 minutes away.

Sorry. That's the only place I know for sure is nice. Figured it was close enough. I'm from out of town, but I stay there quite a bit because I hate getting covered in cat hair if we stay at my mother in law's house.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts