Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The girlfriend and a few friends are looking to do a nice camping trip this august for about ten days (leave the 2nd and return to salt lake by the 12/13th)

Home for me is New Jersey; grew up riding the tech/rock xc trails of northern new jersey and still love that riding today. I've been having trouble finding the tech trails of slc so i'm planning this trip to get out and find some stuff that may take 2 or more goes to clean!

So the aim of the trip is probably to head to tahoe first; and camp, possibly car camp, without a campground. So i really need suggestions of where to camp where we can legally be there with fire going. From there i need some trail suggestions. I've got my eye on Grouse Ridge (that ride looks awesome!!!) I'd like to do three or more tech. rides and one kind of leisure ride to relax. We'll be riding hardtail XC bikes; but i'm not scared of few foot drops or stuff like that. The girlfriend is just as strong if not stronger when it comes to climbing (years of soccer and crap) so rides that don't require miles and miles of continuous climbing would be ideal. hopefully i'll become a stronger climber by the time the trip happens. Other rides i've heard of are toads, hole in the ground, and the ridge trail. We'll only have one car and i don't really know anything about the shuttle situation, but driving to a trailhead for an out and back or loop would be best.

We might even hike a bit :eekster:

Then on to yosemite !

havent really researched this area so vastly open for suggestions!

thanks alot!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
we also are a bit into climbing/bouldering so if theres an opportunity to do that it'd be great! trying to see all we can while we're there

·
Fart smeller
Tell us what parts you're using.
18,080 Posts
Skip Yosemite if you want to ride legal mountain bike trails.

·
Registered
764 Posts
climbing/bouldering
Go to www.supertopo.com and download their .pdf climbing books for the areas. The climbs/problems that they cover are more of the classic/fun lines.

0 real riding in Yosemite (super sweet climbing), but you could drive through camp for a day and head out through the Tiaoga Pass and on to Mammoth for some riding. From Mammoth just head north and back to SLC

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,203 Posts
Mr. toads & Hole in the Ground are a couple of my favorites so far. If I was doing a trip there from far away, those would be the classic rides to hit up. Also, it might be worthwhile to somehow arrange a shuttle from Mt. Rose down to the Flume trail and into Incline Village.

It will require a fair bit of climbing to get to the top of Toads if you're not shuttling. Not sure how high SLC is, but the low point at Lake Tahoe is more or less 6K, and trails around there can get up to 10K. So, I'd suggest a day of acclimation before doing anything strenuous, or it'll be headache-ville. Drink lots of water, too.

Save the hiking for Yosemite.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice! thanks for the feedback. any locals have hints of where to find good camping? hiking an hour or less would be fine

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Include The Flume

The Tahoe Flume Trail is very easy but one of the most spectacular you could ride. Plenty of ways to make it very difficult via the Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT). E.g. start at Mt. Rose TRT, do Flume, come back to start north via the TRT above Marlette Lake. Spooner to Kingsbury round trip is fairly technical and lots of fun. Maps, photos, etc. on my bike site.

·
Registered
254 Posts
nice! thanks for the feedback. any locals have hints of where to find good camping? hiking an hour or less would be fine
There's a legal campground on Luther Pass / Highway 89 near the Tahoe Rim Trail Big Meadow Trail head. You could easliy loop Toads camping there. And also loop Xmas Valley trail. It's also very close to Watta Bike. Probably not many people will post on where to get off the grid and car camp for free, but there are places around Hope Valley.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I am no expert on this area so take this with a grain of salt but if you're looking for technical riding you may consider throwing the Graeagle area into the mix. Graeagle is a small town about an hour from Truckee (N. Lake Tahoe) that is supposed to have extremely tech high mountain riding. Some of the people that have helped establish Downieville as a destination are now hard at work turning Graeagle into a destination. This area is a bit more remote so finding a campsite should be fairly easy (or easier) than Tahoe or Yosemite. Keep in mind that both Tahoe and Yosemite are huge summer destinations and campsites can fill up fast in both places.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
There's a legal campground on Luther Pass / Highway 89 near the Tahoe Rim Trail Big Meadow Trail head. You could easliy loop Toads camping there. And also loop Xmas Valley trail. It's also very close to Watta Bike. Probably not many people will post on where to get off the grid and car camp for free, but there are places around Hope Valley.
Hope Valley is a beautiful area south of Tahoe. I think there is also some rustic / low improvement camping between Tahoe and Truckee. Around Tahoe itself, you pretty much will have to be in a campground. There are both state park and national forest campgrounds. Fallen Leaf Lake is one spot I've stayed. The national forests allow camping outside campgrounds in a lot of places, usually all you need is a shovel and a fire permit obtained from a local ranger station. You should be able to find specifics on the web.

Wherewolf's suggestion about the Flume Trail system is a great one. There's even a shop that runs shuttles, so you can do some great point to point rides.

Camping in Yosemite is very regulated and gets booked up fast. But you could easily access the high country and climbing around Toulomne Meadows via Tioga Pass, camping somewhere down in Lee Vining Canyon or maybe somewhere between there and Bridgeport.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NICE. think we might take some time to get after some trails around mammoth (no tickets) gotta get a good map to see what the tahoe area really looks like

·
Paper or plastic?
10,015 Posts
Take into account that drive time from south lake Tahoe to Truckee is about an hour or so. It's a 2 lane road around the lake and packed with tourists.

If you want tech riding, you can go shuttle at Northstar, but it'd suck on a hardtail (in my opinion, everything sucks on a hardtail, so take it for what it's worth).

Consider riding Downieville (www.yubaexpeditions.com). It's about 2ish hours from Truckee (haven't done it in a while). Wherewolf best described it as shuttle assisted XC. Very fun.

·
Feral Roadie
735 Posts
The national forests allow camping outside campgrounds in a lot of places, usually all you need is a shovel and a fire permit obtained from a local ranger station. You should be able to find specifics on the web.
Many of the obvious forest service roads are now off limits to overnight camping in the Tahoe Basin itself. A lot of places I could camp in the 90's are now off limits. However, once
you get out of the Basin, general forest service rules about car camping still apply.

If you don't have reservations now, it's unlikely you'll get a legal camping spot in Yosemite. Especially in the Valley. But get outside the park and forest service camping is still possible.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'd suggest camping at Big Meadow one night and riding Toads, Xmas or Hawley (ride a tech waterfall) which are all next to the campground. Head to Lover's Leap in Stawberry which has some of the best climbing in the state. It's got lots of exposed 3 pitch moderate routes and really short approaches. You can ride to the top of the wall and Sayles Canyon is in the area which is really tech. You can camp at the climbers campground for a fee or drive 10 minutes to Phanton Spires for some great free camping. The Spires also has great climbing and very cool to hike around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts