Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends and I are planning a trip down to ride at Pisgah and/or Dupont the weekend of November 13th, 14th and 15th.

I was looking for recommendations for a campground for a pull behind camper trailer (electric or water hook-ups nice but not necessary) that would be a good location for riding.

Also, recommendations for mtb routes in both Pisgah and Dupont would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We normally stay in the Davidson river campground. Showers are a bonus at the end of the day, black mountain ends right across the street.
They are weirdly strict at the gate though lol.
thank you for the recommendation and that's one of the campgrounds I see on the map.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where are you coming from and what kind of rides are you looking for?
We are coming down from Spotsylvania, VA and looking for all mountain trail rides, I personally like big climbs and then nice flowy descents!!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
We are coming down from Spotsylvania, VA and looking for all mountain trail rides, I personally like big climbs and then nice flowy descents!!
Pretty good rule of thumb, looking for deh flow, go to Dupont. Davidson River (if they have any spots left!) would be good access to Pisgah and a 15-20 minute drive to Dupont. Some of the other campgrounds (I'd rec N Mills River) will be good Pisgah access, but further to Dupont. Something to consider.

Not sure of anywhere closer to Dupont that offers camper sites. Do some reading on this sub, a ton of "where to camp" threads. Enjoy man, beautiful time of year to be riding in WNC.

There are a ton of best ride threads as well, but I'll leave my $0.02 here.

Current Favorite Pisgah Loop
Park at Fish Hatchery
Davidson River trail/475 to Daniel Ridge Parking
Right onto the gravel and through the gate, ride the gravel up past Daniel Falls, keep going
Right onto Daniel Ridge Trail (some hike a bike here)
Rip it down Daniel Ridge, back to the parking lot
Right onto 475
1st left onto Searcy Creek Road
At next junction (2-3 miles), left onto Long Branch Trail
Left onto Butter Gap
Left onto Cat Gap (soooooo fun!!!!!)
Back to Hatchery

12 miles, 1600' climbing

Current Favorite Dupont Loop
Park at Lake Imaging lot
Start out on Lake Imaging Road....then....
Jim Branch
Issac Heath
Buck Forest (gravel)
Sky Valley Road
Rocky Ridge
Rifle
Hickory Mtn Loop (CCW most fun IMO)
Ridgeline
Back to parking

11-12 miles, 1400' climbing

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty good rule of thumb, looking for deh flow, go to Dupont. Davidson River (if they have any spots left!) would be good access to Pisgah and a 15-20 minute drive to Dupont. Some of the other campgrounds (I'd rec N Mills River) will be good Pisgah access, but further to Dupont. Something to consider.

Not sure of anywhere closer to Dupont that offers camper sites. Do some reading on this sub, a ton of "where to camp" threads. Enjoy man, beautiful time of year to be riding in WNC.

There are a ton of best ride threads as well, but I'll leave my $0.02 here.

Current Favorite Pisgah Loop
Park at Fish Hatchery
Davidson River trail/475 to Daniel Ridge Parking
Right onto the gravel and through the gate, ride the gravel up past Daniel Falls, keep going
Right onto Daniel Ridge Trail (some hike a bike here)
Rip it down Daniel Ridge, back to the parking lot
Right onto 475
1st left onto Searcy Creek Road
At next junction (2-3 miles), left onto Long Branch Trail
Left onto Butter Gap
Left onto Cat Gap (soooooo fun!!!!!)
Back to Hatchery

12 miles, 1600' climbing

Current Favorite Dupont Loop
Park at Lake Imaging lot
Start out on Lake Imaging Road....then....
Jim Branch
Issac Heath
Buck Forest (gravel)
Sky Valley Road
Rocky Ridge
Rifle
Hickory Mtn Loop (CCW most fun IMO)
Ridgeline
Back to parking

11-12 miles, 1400' climbing
thank you very much!!! these look great!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Black Forest campground is closest to DuPont and has hookups. It's a nice place, but it's a haul to pisgah from there.
Thank you for the suggestion! I do want to go to Dupont but will probably camp at Davidson River and then drive to Dupont.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion! I do want to go to Dupont but will probably camp at Davidson River and then drive to Dupont.
Most Davidson River sites are first come, first serve. If there's one available, reserve it now. If not, you will have to get down here during the week or right when they start letting campers in on Friday to get a spot.
It's the perfect base camp. I live in Asheville less than an hour away from the campground and drive there to camp just because it is so relaxed and close to both trails and the fun spots in Brevard. You can ride your bike to a bike shop/bar and a brewery, both without seriously interacting with traffic.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most Davidson River sites are first come, first serve. If there's one available, reserve it now. If not, you will have to get down here during the week or right when they start letting campers in on Friday to get a spot.
It's the perfect base camp. I live in Asheville less than an hour away from the campground and drive there to camp just because it is so relaxed and close to both trails and the fun spots in Brevard. You can ride your bike to a bike shop/bar and a brewery, both without seriously interacting with traffic.
yeah we are going to reserve a spot asap! thanks for the suggestion and I was already so excited about riding to the hub from the campground for beers after we rode!! :D

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,218 Posts
If you want a big climb with flow going down Bracken Mountain is pretty much that and loopable from Davidson River. 276->475 to Hatchery->475C->Bracken->Brevard Bike Path->Beer->276 back to camp

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you want a big climb with flow going down Bracken Mountain is pretty much that and loopable from Davidson River. 276->475 to Hatchery->475C->Bracken->Brevard Bike Path->Beer->276 back to camp
that sounds great, thank you very much for the suggestion!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Only been down there once, but have plans to return. Stayed at N. Mills River campground. Decent digs and you can put some rides together right out of the campsite. From what I recall, not a bad drive to Dupont from there.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
X3 for Davidson River. Seasonal trails are now open and you can get some killer DH in your rides at that location. Cat Gap, Butter, Cove Creek, Daniel Ridge, Farlow are all accessible from here. Check www.mtbproject.com out for trail profiles. Although many Pisgah trails still have not been added.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
despite the great advice provided and sent to my friends, they didn't try to make reservations until today...FAIL...and Davidson River is booked up...

Anyone know of any other campground that might be open and have availability?

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
despite the great advice provided and sent to my friends, they didn't try to make reservations until today...FAIL...and Davidson River is booked up...

Anyone know of any other campground that might be open and have availability?
Well, you could try the ones suggested in this thread.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, you could try the ones suggested in this thread.
Well, I did try the ones I saw suggested in this thread and since they are either booked (Davidson River) or closed N. River Mills & Black Forrest I thought I would ask for any other possibilities. Thanks!

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
Well, I did try the ones I saw suggested in this thread and since they are either booked (Davidson River) or closed N. River Mills & Black Forrest I thought I would ask for any other possibilities. Thanks!
North mills is closed? Dang. You could always do the free roadside camping. You can try lake Powhatan at bent creek, but they're likely closed then as well. Bummers dude.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts