Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would be sweet, when you look at the super record road 11...
yet that could be achieved, all needed is the RD shifters.
11 speed chain works well on standard 9/10 speed chainrings, even if it doesn't suppose to.
may be nino can figure something?
especially since campy released a 12-27 cassette now.
advantages: very light weight, ceramic pulley bearing, very precise grear ratio, killer look.
what do you reckon?

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
campagnolo use to make MTB groupo late 1980...

but discontinued, sniff, sniff.
yet there was a flat hb carbon brake/shifter (chorus 10 speed) that came on the market a few years ago, even V brake if i remember.
so it is all possible, well at least believing may bring campagnolo to think about it and be the first 11 speed mtb groupo on the planet...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chain wear

they say the same when a chain goes narrower, but...
10 speed don't wear faster than 9, on the road.
yet campy said that the component for the 11 record chain is way stronger than the previous 10 speed.
i have to say that the first, very first thing you notice on super record 11 is how silent your bike become. a friend of mine has done over 2000 miles on that SR 11 set up and it is just as good as day one.
a cyclist without a dream, a project is a dead cyclist...

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
oh boy....

Didier Carpentier said:
they say the same when a chain goes narrower, but...
10 speed don't wear faster than 9, on the road.
yet campy said that the component for the 11 record chain is way stronger than the previous 10 speed.
i have to say that the first, very first thing you notice on super record 11 is how silent your bike become. a friend of mine has done over 2000 miles on that SR 11 set up and it is just as good as day one.
a cyclist without a dream, a project is a dead cyclist...
just today i was ordering a 10s 11-32 cassette to try it on my MTB....now you already start with 11s...i am behind the time i think;)

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Tiffster said:
2010 XTR is going to be 10spd too - do Campag even make MTB stuff ?
Not being able to mix and match XTR, XT and SLX will suck big time.

I hope it will quickly go the way of RapidRise and integrated shifters.

Though I have nothing against the idea of 10sp on MTB. I would prefer the road and MTB stuff to be unified when possible.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Curmy said:
I love my road fixie, have no desire to get any other road bike, but after trying a few times I have decided against that idea for off-road. Single speed works fine..
Wow, you are so rad! Why is it that fixed gear and ss people always feel the need to trumpet their obvious lack of usefulness (My car has one gear, I rock). Who cares if you are too cool for school, the OP was questioning making Campy 11 speed work in the dirt...?

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
MessagefromTate said:
Wow, you are so rad! Why is it that fixed gear and ss people always feel the need to trumpet their obvious lack of usefulness (My car has one gear, I rock). Who cares if you are too cool for school, the OP was questioning making Campy 11 speed work in the dirt...?
haha it was a joke from the other end of the spectrum:thumbsup:

campy will work on mtbs once the 11spd flat bar shifter is released, you could do it with the 10speed right now if you wanted too, same with sram.

or jeez, there's lots of guys,especially 29er guys using dirt drops, just use the whole 11speed setup as is,totally do able. just need a bike with canti posts.

im sure it would hold up ok for XC riding.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
MessagefromTate said:
WTF are you rambling about? Did you actually read the thread?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nino said:
just today i was ordering a 10s 11-32 cassette to try it on my MTB....now you already start with 11s...i am behind the time i think;)
I MIGHT EVEN GO 14 SPEED... roloff...
that is what i would love to see:
a true hub 15 speed that work well, good ratio and lightweight. that would be the way for MTB use really. shimano has to invest in that technology in full, than it would stand a viable chance to work 100 %, witch is very far from the current gearhubs on the market (shimano 7 and 8 speed nexus/14 speed Roloff)

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Didier Carpentier said:
I MIGHT EVEN GO 14 SPEED... roloff...
that is what i would love to see:
a true hub 15 speed that work well, good ratio and lightweight. that would be the way for MTB use really. shimano has to invest in that technology in full, than it would stand a viable chance to work 100 %, witch is very far from the current gearhubs on the market (shimano 7 and 8 speed nexus/14 speed Roloff)
Why isn't Rohloff 100%?

Personally, I think for AM use it is more about range, then number of gears. I will be perfectly happy with a light geared hub that covers only 2:1, 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, 1:4 ratios...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Curmy said:
Why isn't Rohloff 100%?

Personally, I think for AM use it is more about range, then number of gears. I will be perfectly happy with a light geared hub that covers only 2:1, 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, 1:4 ratios...
it seems that you have not ridden a rohloff... ratio is ok, yet:
speed 7 and 8.... horrible
drag and especially concentrated heavy weight just on rear hub......terrible
fragile, some you fall on the side and it does break the shifting system too.
cost.... hum!
plus, oil change every 5000 km, oh well.

anyway, ride one and talk, you'll see by yourself:
lot's of work to improve the existing internal shifting system on the market...
or else we'd have dropped derailleurs ages ago, wouldn't we?

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Didier Carpentier said:
it seems that you have not ridden a rohloff... ratio is ok, yet:
speed 7 and 8.... horrible
drag and especially concentrated heavy weight just on rear hub......terrible
fragile, some you fall on the side and it does break the shifting system too.
cost.... hum!
plus, oil change every 5000 km, oh well.

anyway, ride one and talk, you'll see by yourself:
lot's of work to improve the existing internal shifting system on the market...
or else we'd have dropped derailleurs ages ago, wouldn't we?
I did ride with Rohloff on my friends bike and besides cost and a small weight penalty I did not see any serious drawbacks. It shifts better then derailleur system, it requires far less maintenance, and it is much harder to break then an expensive derailleur, and it does not wear out like expensive cassettes. I keep derailleurs because they are good enough for the price.

It they just drop half the gears, keeping the overall range (unlike Alfine) it will be lighter, and for AM duties, with 2:1 ratio made lossless, almost just as useful. Not for a race bike of course..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Curmy said:
I did ride with Rohloff on my friends bike and besides cost and a small weight penalty I did not see any serious drawbacks. It shifts better then derailleur system, it requires far less maintenance, and it is much harder to break then an expensive derailleur, and it does not wear out like expensive cassettes. I keep derailleurs because they are good enough for the price.

It they just drop half the gears, keeping the overall range (unlike Alfine) it will be lighter, and for AM duties, with 2:1 ratio made lossless, almost just as useful. Not for a race bike of course..
ok it does work ok, so so.
but as you say not on a race bike, not on a performing bike, not on MINE... or yours or on most people's bike in fact... why?
it is the future, not the present, coz derailleurs are so vulnerable, so old in terms of concept, but works so well at present.
I'm convienced for years that internal gearing system is the futur.
I think it should be developped around BB and than frames should be build around it, so it would be really well balanced. they should inverse the situation and make 3 speed rear hub basic flowless, light and reliable, and than 6 front speed internal around a large BB shell. something like that. anyway, we'll see how the future goes, and let's see how the electric durace pick up and work in 2009.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.