Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bikecurious
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to be a fair bit of similar posts here, so I apologize if this has already been brought up. A friend and I are planning a 2-3 day camping/biking trip at the end of July and are looking for a good place. We've been riding the GWNF around Narrowback and Todd Lake areas a lot and are looking for something new. We live in the Harrisonburg area and would like to keep it around a 1-2 hour drive. We'll be towing a pop-up camper so the campsite will need to be fairly easily accessible. Probably looking at 25-35 mile rides each day, so if there is a centrally located camping area that we can make different loops from would be perfect. I've been considering somewhere around Braley's Pond, or maybe going down and checking out Douthat (by the way, what's the proper pronunciation of that, is is Dow-that, or Dout-hat, or something more obscure?). Also would consider some places in WV, just don't know too much about the trails in the area. Thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dow-that is close enough. You would hit a home run there. Campsites are well cared for and very level with gravel for the ground cover. Water for showers is always hot. But the best part are the trails. They are well maintained and you could be well entertained for an entire weekend. Terrain will be similar to Todd Lake area.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Another :thumbsup: for Douthat. This time of year try White Oak (Campground C) rather than Lakeside (Campground A) - more shade and fewer bugs. Lakeside has a great view, though.

·
Bikecurious
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PennyRich said:
Another :thumbsup: for Douthat. This time of year try White Oak (Campground C) rather than Lakeside (Campground A) - more shade and fewer bugs. Lakeside has a great view, though.
Good lookin' out on the bugs. Everywhere we've parked in the GWNF lately has been swarming with flies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.