Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks,

I'm considering buying a slim digital camera to take pics and movies on my MTB adventures but I'm leary of spending too much money on a camera that won't last very long given the physical abuse that it might endure in my camelback. I do a mix of XC & moderately technical singletrack riding but nothing too hard core. Any jumps or drops not likely to exceed 3 feet (if I can help it).

Do any of you have any experiences you can share (good or bad) with hauling a camera in your pack during rides? Your responses will help me determine how much money I might want to spend on a new camera. Though I suppose a good extended warranty might do the trick assuming MTB rides don't void the warranty.

Thanks!

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Don't "haul" it in your pack

Don't "haul" it in your pack. If it is put away you will not use it as much. Just attach it to your camelback chest strap in a small soft case. Nobody falls more than me, and I've rolled over my cameras hundreds of times. It's nothing to worry about and you don't need an extra warranty. Buy a cheap camera and you get cheap photos.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Or get a somewhat cheap camera specifically for the rides. You can also put it in a more accessible spot in your pack and get one of those hard cases they sell for storing stuff for kayaking.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I started using the tip wherewolf gave this is the result:

This was taken while moving after snapping the photo I just slipped the camera back in the case on the chest strap and off I went. Most do not turn out as well.
Its a good tip for fast access to the camera if its small the bulk of a larger camera would get annoying after awhile

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ive been using a Sanyo Xacti 6 which is a solid state video camera with 5mp stills (they also do a weatherproof version). Its proved very robust over the last two months, I have hand held it while riding a track and had brilliant results.

Its so tiny no one knows what it is, so you can film covertly ;) 5 optical zoom and you can download it as an Mpeg to some websites (if you can work such things!). The photos are really good, much better than expected (I also own a Canon digital SLR and several conventional film SLR cameras, so Im happy with the results from a fairly cheap video camera).

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
Cameras are so small now and the protective cases are even smaller than in the past. I've seen semi hard shell water resistant ones that fit super snug around a camera that would be perfect to attack to the chest strap of a bag. Either way good luck camera hunting!

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I'm with Wherewolf on this one.....

don't haul it in you pack, you won't use it or be able to use as often. And don't get the latest and most expensive SLR either, too bulky for carry on the chest strap of the camel back and too darned expensive!

Over the past few years I've been using a Canon A70, which they don't make anymore. But it takes good pics and for the time was a full featured mid range compact. Since then they've gotten smaller yet and lighter to boot. The Canon A series of digies still give a good amount of features. They run anywhere in the 7.1 to 4.0 mp range and range in price from $130 for the low end 5mp A460 to around $300 for the top end 7.1mp A710. The 460 and 430 are smallest and least expensive of the A series, but have fewer features of course. And they are TOUGH! I've hauled mine all over the place, crashed on it, took it to Iraq and back, and generally not been very nice to the camera. It's survived it all so far. My son has a newer Canon A95 that he hauls around. He's even strapped it to his bottle cage and taken videos to analyze various settings on his shock and visually compare them. I.e. propedal on, propedal off, etc. And his has been subjected to various crashes and calamities as well. So they do hold up. I think most do hold up well.

Anyway, don't go too cheap or, as stated previously, you get cheap shots. But don't go too high end either or you loose a MAJOR investment if you do happen to crash hard enough to destroy it. And generally, the smaller the camera the harder it'll be to destroy it in a crash, smaller target, and the easier it'll be to carry. So, figure out the features that you want, the price range you're looking for, and start shopping around. And remember, you can have all the latest features and dodads on your camera, but they won't do you a bit of good if it's stuck in back in your camel back and you can't get to it. Unless you plan to stop and partially disrobe every time you want a pic. You'll miss allot of good shots that way. So smaller and on the c-back shoulder or chest strap is a great way to go. Depends on you and what you want to do.

Good Dirt

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Dslr

Nocturnus said:
I'll be taking my Digital Rebel w/50mm 1.8 with me on some ride soon. I'm just gonna rig my shoulder sling camera bag with my camelbak. Going to keep the sling pack in front for easy access.
I have taken my SLR on the trail a few times and I use a holster type case and wear it around my waist with the camera at my lower back like a fanny pack. When I stopped it was easy to swing the case around and whip out the camera. But 99% of all my trail photos have been taken with two small Canons, first an S410, and more recently a SD 800IS. The SD 800IS has a true wide angle lens and that's what I found lacking on most every other P&S camera. When you are on scenic trails you really need a wide angle. It also has nearly no shutter lag so I can actually get some decent action photos.

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
Nocturnus said:
I'll be taking my Digital Rebel w/50mm 1.8 with me on some ride soon. I'm just gonna rig my shoulder sling camera bag with my camelbak. Going to keep the sling pack in front for easy access.
careful with that 1.8....the plastic mount breaks very, very easily. don't ask me how i know...

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I just got an Olympus Stylus 770 SW. Not exactly cheap, but waterproof to 33', droppable from 5' and crushproof to 220#. I suspect it'll actually stand up to more than that. I read one review on a dive site where they took it to 67' and it was still dry.

I'ts small, fairly light and takes pretty good outdoor pictures. The reviews don't give it very high marks for indoor stuff other than snapshots, but I have another camera for that kind of stuff.

It's a 7.1MP camera with a very nice screen to take pics or review them. So far, I'm pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I take a Cannon SD 550 with me in a Camelback "comm pouch" that is mounted to my left shoulder strao. I also have the lanyard clipped onto my the shoulder strap to keep it from popping out and hitting the ground at high speed.

I had an SD230 that did just that. I though it was clipped in, hopped some horse dung at 20 mph and away went the camera. Worked for another 2 yrs until it got dunked last summer for the last time.

I also have a pelican case to keep it safe when the weather is sketchy.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Quick question

danyiluska said:
Canon IXUS sd600. It's tiny and pretty cool. Also, get a baggy for it and
you can put it on your belt.
I have the US version of this camera (PowerShot SD600) - what mode are you using for action pics? Are you using the full auto mode, or do you use the manual settings. I haven't played around with the different settings enough to be considered proficient, but I'd really like to start getting some good ride pictures with this camera.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a $300 Samsung NV3, its made of stainless steel and is very small, but takes great pictures. I keep it in my "under the saddle pack". its safe there being protected by the saddle and the seat post, also the pack is very water resistant and durable. I also have a three year warranty on the camera so thats always good too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've used a Canon S30 now replaced with a S70. It's a little larger than the Elph's but have many of the features and manual settings of a larger DSLR. I've used an Elph but not on the trail. They make great pics and and are built pretty well. Hard to go wrong with one, IMO.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
I use a older Cannon Powershot. someone on your local craigslist probably has one for like $20.00 they're small and take halfway decent pictures if you know what you're doing. I dont want to take my 20D on rides with me, so I just use a smaller type of digital camera.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts