Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone do with their cameras when they are riding. A lot of people have some neat pictures from when they are riding, but I am scared to take my camera with me (I tend to crash a lot). Do you have a crappy camera you take with you or where do you put your camera when you ride. The other day I bought a little disposable camera to stick in my camelback, but it's not the same as have a nice digital camera.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Bsktball55 said:
What does everyone do with their cameras when they are riding. A lot of people have some neat pictures from when they are riding, but I am scared to take my camera with me (I tend to crash a lot). Do you have a crappy camera you take with you or where do you put your camera when you ride. The other day I bought a little disposable camera to stick in my camelback, but it's not the same as have a nice digital camera.
put your camera in Pelican case. It's bomb proof, water proof.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i bring my nice canon 5 megapix with me. i bought a small samsonite camera case. it was 5 bucks and it has toons of padding. i keep it in my hydropack when riding. I think with the pack and case it should hold up to a good beating. Plus, the best pictures i have ever taken are from my rides so i wouldnt risk my picture getting screwed up with a cheap camera, thats why i take my nice camera with me

·
Banned
640 Posts
No Bike

After looking at sweet bike pics, when you see pics of singletrack without a bike in them. After seeing a few, you start to go, hay man a hiker took this pic, which is cool and all, but it was taken by someone without a bike.

·
Inflexable...
1,901 Posts
I use something like this (an older version)

that expands enough to hold my camera. I attach it to the harness and insert the camera. I also tie the strap on the camera to the harness just to make sure it is not going anywhere. I position the camera pouch so that when it is taken out (still tied to the harness) the camera can be positioned perfectly at eye level. I use this same configuration skiing and hiking.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Wherewolf said:
I bought a little case at Walmart for $0.97 and I attach it to my Camelback chest strap. If your camera is packed away you tend not to use it very much. I fall all the time.
I use a cheap padded case, but I hook it on the Camelbak near the hip. In case of falling I don't want to crack a rib on something strapped to my chest. Worse yet, a chest blow can stop the heart.

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
pacman said:
I use a cheap padded case, but I hook it on the Camelbak near the hip. In case of falling I don't want to crack a rib on something strapped to my chest. Worse yet, a chest blow can stop the heart.
I'd say your more prone to injury on your hip. If you put it on your chest, your arms will catch you by reflex. I know people break ribs while riding, but that is usually from side impact.

One word of caution though. If you use the chest strap (as I do), be sure to run a tether from the camera to the camebak. I had a buddy go OTB, the chest strap broke and he lost the camera. We looked for hours, and never did find it (still look every time we ride there, two years later...).

I agree, keep it out where you will use it. (I put it IN the pak if it rains, or if I am sure I won't pull it out til the next stop.

Anyhow, I've thought about this a lot, and my opinion is that there is probably not a safer place for the camera or the rider than on the chest strap... (with a tether).

·
Inflexable...
1,901 Posts
bmateo said:
...Anyhow, I've thought about this a lot, and my opinion is that there is probably not a safer place for the camera or the rider than on the chest strap... (with a tether).
Exactly!!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I got my boyfriend a pelican micro case--the 1010 I think--the smallest one we could find, and also the pick and pluck foam. The case is a little bulky and bigger than we necessarily needed (Canon digital elph), but it will fit in a jersey pocket and it just feels so much safer than the previous case I got him (a really nice crumpler case, but you can't drive over it like the pelican). I got him bright yellow so it will be harder to lose. I just did a yahoo search for pelican micro case and a bunch of online stores showed up. I think I bought from this place. http://store.yahoo.com/pelican-flashlights/microcases.html I highly recommend the pick and pluck foam, just so it is not rattling around at all.

·
Registered
129 Posts
triscuit said:
I got my boyfriend a pelican micro case--the 1010 I think--the smallest one we could find, and also the pick and pluck foam. The case is a little bulky and bigger than we necessarily needed (Canon digital elph), but it will fit in a jersey pocket and it just feels so much safer than the previous case I got him (a really nice crumpler case, but you can't drive over it like the pelican). I got him bright yellow so it will be harder to lose. I just did a yahoo search for pelican micro case and a bunch of online stores showed up. I think I bought from this place. http://store.yahoo.com/pelican-flashlights/microcases.html I highly recommend the pick and pluck foam, just so it is not rattling around at all.
Well Triscuit,
Being the very gulable person I am, I attempted to drive over my Pelican (with camera inside) with my buddys Hummer. Well needles to say I no longer have a camera or Pelican Case anymore. The camera is completely ruined, thanks to you. I will send you a copy of the receipt so i can be reimbursed,

Take care,
Jay

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
agreed

Wherewolf said:
I bought a little case at Walmart for $0.97 and I attach it to my Camelback chest strap. If your camera is packed away you tend not to use it very much. I fall all the time.
I use a LowePro attached to the chest strap. I have kept a camera in my camelback before, but you know how it goes, out of site, out of mind. With the chest strap (or anything else that allows quick and convenient access to your camera), you are able to take a lot more pictures of your ride.

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
I guess the camera dictates how you take care of it. I have a nikon f3 and f4, the f4 is too heavy to ride with but I'll stuff the f3 minus the motor drive in my camelbak mule any time I feel like taking pictures. I shoot cheap neg film and have it scanned at development at wal mart, costs like 3.50. I've taken the f3 up mt elbert in the rain before in a plastic bag and it was fine. These digitoys might as well be made of balsa wood how they hold up.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'm not an agressive rider, so I just carry my smaller Fuji digital cam in a handlebar bag. I carry my larger Fuji S5000 in a fanny pack.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.