Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Camera Work

6K views 63 replies 32 participants last post by  40hills 
#1 ·
Have seen some great pics posted here. Are you guys using point and shoots? Do you just carry them in your pack all the time.

What camera are you using?

Mikesee - you've got some great pics posted - what are you using?

#2 ·
I wouldn't call most of my biking pictures great, but I will try and give some input. I had to choose between a new bike and a new camera, so I still have my old Canon Powershot point and shoot but I make do with what I have. I have a padded soft case that I keep in my Camelbak. I would prefer a hard case but I haven't spent the cash on one yet.

Bright, sunny days can give you pictures that really pop, but the summer sun here in California is really harsh and you won't have a full, even range of highlights and shadows. Color can look washed out too. Partly cloudy days make everything easier, especially for a closeup of a bike. Early in the morning and late in the afternoon can also provide less harsh light

I also like to play around with my pictures on the computer to take them to the next level (or try to salvage a bad one). Its amazing how much better a photo can look with some contrast and color correction and adjustments to the lighting. I like Photoshop, but Picasa also has easy to use tools that cover most of the basic adjustments you need

#3 ·
Although I was a pro photog for many years, lugging around a big, bulky DSLR can lead you to not always have it with you so I have a nice little 7.2MP P&S that I always have with me. This way I never don't bring it because it's heavy or a PITA to pack and having a some what decent camera with you all the time is better than having a much better camera with you some times - you take more pics and always have it there, so you don't generaly miss that shot.

Also knowing a few things about camera makes a world of difference - someone using a P&S who knows what they're doing can produce an good photo, but someone with a very expensive, fancy camera that doesn't know jack is likely to produce mediocre images. When it came to buying equipment I always bought the cheaper body, but the better lenses.

#5 ·
Enel said:
Fixed it for you.

For me the answer was to get a small camera, have it with me always, take lots of photos, and throw away lots.

I am no great photog, but the P&S gets it done.
I've had a handful of Olympus and Canon P&S POS's through the years. My theory is eloquently summed up by Enel above, and to some extent Lynx: take lots, jettison most, and touch up the remainder once you get home.

My most recent camera (until yesterday:mad: ) was a Canon SD900. Loved everything about it except the proprietary batteries. Hoping to remedy that this PM with a very similar camera that uses AA's.

Cheers,

MC

#7 · (Edited)
sthrnfat said:
Have seen some great pics posted here. Are you guys using point and shoots? Do you just carry them in your pack all the time.

What camera are you using?

Mikesee - you've got some great pics posted - what are you using?
I've always used a point and shoot.

however, i am partial to Canon's, as i'm most comfortable with the menu layout.

Attachments

#8 ·
mikesee said:
My most recent camera (until yesterday:mad: ) was a Canon SD900. Loved everything about it except the proprietary batteries. Hoping to remedy that this PM with a very similar camera that uses AA's.
Just be warned that the Canon's that use two AA's have stupid long flash recharge times. Good thing I don't like to use flash

That said, it would take a lot to convince me to buy anything besides another Canon. This is my 4th

#9 ·
Camera's and bikes - A good combination

Oh how I love this topic. I'm at best an enthusiast photographer, but I like to take pictures, especially when riding and exploring. For me which camera depends on the ride and the purpose.

For adventuring, tours, and general exploring I take my DSLR. I like to try new routes, hike, push, explore, rest, etc. I'm shooting an Olympus E420 w/25mm pancake lens. I've got a nice pack for it and depending on which bike I ride, it's either in a case on my Wingnut back or in my Lowe camera pack. This isn't very convenient for on the fly photos. I've ridden with Mikesee and that guy can take his P & S out faster than a cowboy in an old west pistol fight.

For anything else where stopping isn't part of the plan, I take my point and shoot. They are lighter and give me more options for carrying.

FWIW, I've wrecked two P & S cameras in 2008 either in crashes or by dropping them. Dooh! Be aware that always taking your camera with you can result in needing to spend more money.

Check my blog(s) and click on E420 in the right side links to see my reviews and why I chose a DSLR.

www.gnatlikesbikes.wordpress.com

www.gnatlikespictures.wordpress.com
Gnat

#10 ·
I count myself with Jason up there. I love photography and riding, and try to combine the two. Sometimes with success. I use a Nikon D50 I've had for a few years now. It works well. But like others have said, its all about the eye. A good camera will only make a bad picture....umm....badder? I carry my camera in my Wingnut Pack.

#11 ·
Gotta agree with a lot of what has been said above. I'm no pro, but photography and mountain biking two of the things that bring me the greatest joy. I always have one of my Canon point and shoot cameras (SD series) with me on a ride. I also have a Nikon D80 and an assortment of lenses, but I only take that on a ride if my primary objective is to take pictures and I'm just using my bike to explore or get to a location.
A good picture is more about lighting and composition. So if you can't take a good pic with a point and shoot, a "better" camera is not going to make that same picture any better. Besides, I've found plenty of "keepers" on my P&S simply because it's convenient to carry and I always have it on me at opportune times.

Snap away and have fun.

#12 ·
I take my pictures with a holga 135 plastic toy camera, it uses good old 35mm film. Award winning ultra sharp action shots, no. Take tons of pics and just delete the bad ones, no. Every once in a while get an awesome shot that defies the suckiness of the camera, yes. You can get some funky double exposure and weird effects with it. Cheap, durable, fun. Every mtber I know thinks it sucks but I like it.

#13 ·
wes m. said:
I take my pictures with a holga 135 plastic toy camera, it uses good old 35mm film. Award winning ultra sharp action shots, no. Take tons of pics and just delete the bad ones, no. Every once in a while get an awesome shot that defies the suckiness of the camera, yes. You can get some funky double exposure and weird effects with it. Cheap, durable, fun. Every mtber I know thinks it sucks but I like it.
You can't say Holga, and then not post some. :madmax: Although the Holga's I've used were 120 film...

#14 ·
Get a good quality point and shoot and make sure it has a wide lens.

Lots of Canons have a 28mm equivalent on the wide end and it will make a dramatic difference in your shooting and ability to create the perspective needed for a good shot. I find long zooms to be of little value, yet zoom length is often what consumers judge their camera by.

Same with megapixles, for most of us it's a waste over 5 or 6 mp. Many of my best shots were taken with a crappy 4.0 MP P&S.

Like the old photography joke - Q: Whats the secret to great photos? A: F8 and be there! With a quickly accessible point and shoot, it guarantees I'll "be there" which is 90% of good photography.

#15 ·
i generally carry a powershot 800 IS. the IS is canons Image Stabilizer. it makes a world of difference. I think its an 7mp, but the quality is pretty high.

a good lens will make up the difference in quality versus more pixels.
I have a friend with a cheap nixon 10mp p&s. it takes terrible pictures.

Look for a camera with good manual setting, so you can control the speeds and flash for action shots.

Or go full dSLR if you can carry it. My d40 have been on a few rides. takes amazing pics. but heavy and bulky to ride with. plus i worry about crashing on it.

#16 ·
Any recommendations for a reasonable p&s that has proved to pretty durable? I guess a camera that has some kind of lense cover or that would slide closed when turned off would protect a little better.

So many cameras on the market its tough to tell which will be half decent.

#17 ·
olympus makes a few cameras that can be dropped and get wet. not sure on quality though.

I found a hard molded case for my camera. My canon PowerShot is just a touch bigger than a deck of cards, so the hard case protects it well in my camel back. from internal stuff rubbing or beating on it, and incase of a fall, i feel the case I have is pretty sturdy.

This Case Logic molded case

should work for almost any smaller p&s

#19 ·
i use a canon s3, same as hizzity who takes some great pics. it's taken quite a few monster hits over the last year and works like new still.

the real secret to photography and bikes is taking A TON of pics. on an average 6hr. ride i'll take around 200 pics....lucky to have 20 of them really good pics, and another 20 worth keeping. don't be afraid to experiment with weird angles, and don't be afraid to either ride really far behind or really far ahead just to get that riding shot with a good background.

#20 ·
EGF168 said:
+1

That's the best camera I've ever had the pleasure of using, it's light, compact, reliable and the results are consistently amazing compared to my dads other cameras.:thumbsup:
Wow. I just looked that Olympus up and it does look ideal.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0803/08030501olympuse420.asp

Smallest DSLR you could take along I suppose. If I were shopping for a new camera and wasn't already invested with several canon lenses I'd look at that.

I currently use a Canon Rebel XT (350D) with a 50mm 1.8 lens. I'd like a wider angle lens in the future but this is the cheapest/lightest/smallest fast lens that I already own. It's a small light package by SLR standards. I also carry a Lensbabies 2.0 manual focus lens for cool effects since the lens is also very small. Here is a picture from a bike/trailer adventure with my 2 year old daughter for reference.

I definitely prefer having the D-SLR and my rides are usually solo and generally not fast so the extra heft or time removing the camera from my Hawg is not usually a problem. I'm thinking about making a foam cutout insert for my camelbak to help protect it.

Attachments

#21 ·
My old Canon SD1000 point & shoot seems to work well enough in "high iso" mode if there is enough light. I always tweak the shots slightly in Photoshop though. Make them "pop" a little more. Levels, saturation, resize, USM.

It's a cheap camera so I just toss it in one of my jersey pockets so I can grab it while I'm riding. It would never get used if it was in a case in a camelbak!

#23 ·
I took these with an older 2 MP Canon Power Shot

It was a little bulky to take on rides so I picked up a cheap Kodak P&S at Circuit City.

Like others have said, the trick (for me, anyways) is to take a lot of pictures. Most of them end up in the bin but there's always a couple gems in the lot.

#24 ·
jmilliron said:
Olympus E420 with 25mm f/2.8 does look like a sweet setup. IS would be nice but the extra size, weight and price of the 520 make it a lot less tempting. Besides, IS doesn't do anything to "stop" a moving subject (ie a person riding).
The E420 is about the only camera I've used that I really don't think would benefit from IS but I've yet to use a 520 to see if there's any difference...

#25 ·
I have a Panasonic LX2 that I bought for taking on rides, and sometimes I take my Ricoh GRD2 although it's kind of too precious and nice for mountain biking.

Then I also use an old Canon 10D with a 50mm f/1.8, which is cheap enough to take riding and also fairly light (the lens weighs almost nothing).

#26 ·
i like my canon sd1100 ($169 or so) point and shoot- small, easy to carry, and pictures turn on nice! takes a proprietary battery, but i just bought a couple cheapo generics on ebay ($5/each) and they work extremely well!

funny, i've found people who have issues taking decent pics with point and shoot cameras, usually just don't hold down the button halfway to set the focus :)

i take a boatload and after downloading, pick the best.

enjoy. mtb and photog go well together!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.