Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on a a good digital camera to take on a ride? I would like around 4-5 MP, tough-built, easy to shoot, small enough to fit in my Camelbak along with the power bar and the Advil. Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got the Canon Power Shot S500 just for what you mention. It is small, light, and easy to carry around. I vacation trips it can fit in your pocket pants. I rides it can easily fit in most camelbaks or get a small Lowepro case and strap it to the camelback for easy access. Downsides can be the price, around $350, and it has a lot of fancy buttons and settings that can confuse you if you let them. I just put it in automatic mode and point and shoot. Later.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know how big your camelbak is but,

Here are a few suggestions:
If you are looking for ultra compact, I would look at the Canon Powershot SD400/500. They are very small and lightweight, have a stainless steel case, a large LCD and take awesome photos. They are 5mp and 7.1mp respectively. They don't have any manual modes, however, and have a limited 3x optical zoom.
If you are willing to go a little larger Canon has just come out with a new camera the S2. It features a 12x optical image stabilized zoom and 5mp, which would make it awesome for many types of sports photography. It can also take movies in fairly high resolution for as long as you have room on the card. It has replaced the S1 which is of the same design with only a 3mp sensor.
The Canon A series offers a good feature set with the normal compact camera zoom ranges, but they use AA batteries instead of re chargeable proprietary batteries, this can be helpful in a pinch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
liatdraH said:
Here are a few suggestions:
If you are looking for ultra compact, I would look at the Canon Powershot SD400/500. They are very small and lightweight, have a stainless steel case, a large LCD and take awesome photos. They are 5mp and 7.1mp respectively. They don't have any manual modes, however, and have a limited 3x optical zoom.
If you are willing to go a little larger Canon has just come out with a new camera the S2. It features a 12x optical image stabilized zoom and 5mp, which would make it awesome for many types of sports photography. It can also take movies in fairly high resolution for as long as you have room on the card. It has replaced the S1 which is of the same design with only a 3mp sensor.
The Canon A series offers a good feature set with the normal compact camera zoom ranges, but they use AA batteries instead of re chargeable proprietary batteries, this can be helpful in a pinch.
Thanks to both of you who replied. I'll check out your recommendations. I see that someone else asked a camera question in this forum over the weekend and one reply recommended a Nikon 5600. I'll check that out too. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I got a Cannon Powershot a510 recently, and I was amazed at the picture quality at 3.1mp. The advice I got was to not focus on MP, but also all the other features, and at that price range, Cannon seems to have the best bang for the buck (maybe not true at higher end of spectrum).

For $200 including a 128mb card, the thing takes great pictures. I just had a macro shot of dew-drops on a flower blown up to 6x8 and printed, and the guy at the shop was blown away when I told him what kind of camera I had.

You can PM me with your email if you want me email you a sample picture or two. Make sure to use the PM, as I may not check this thread again....

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a Canon Ex-Z55 Exlim 5 megapixal....and i have gotta say, it is an amazing camer, nice BIG LCD screen on the back, and takes wonderful pictures and my favortie feature, its is jsut as thick as 5 credit cards and has the same length and width as a credit card, so it fits almost everywhere and is nice compact so you can take it on your trails or anywhere and if your confident, you can ride with it in your pocket and not even feel it...just dont fall on that side ha...have fun!

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
use the search feature-you'll be surprised!

it works rather well

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=95973

cannon SD200 great cam and easy to use..got it attached to my camelbak strap and a lanyard to keep the cam from flying out. great to snap a shot or two while riding.
this cam rocks and is under 300bucks

·
X-Fusion Enduro Australia
7 Posts
Gotta love the Pentax S5i

I got this for my birthday after my last camera bit the dust. Small tough and great picture quality. Not sure what sort of price in US$ but should be affordable

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.