Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@ JensonUSA

Not a HUGE deal but a nice one if you're already going to order from Jenson.

It's limited for 4 units of each color...(you can find it for 5 USD on other places).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
I've had this bottle for a few weeks and the spout has been growing mold, even if I clean it religiously with dishwashing soap after using it. Immersing in boiling water or vinegar doesn't help. You can really get rid of the mold by taking it apart, but it's a real hassle to disassemble the spout.

Few online reviews have pointed out this flaw, but maybe I've just had bad luck with mold. It smells the same as the the stuff that grows in high-efficiency (front-loading) clothes washers. Sorry to crap on the thread, though it is a good deal if you don't get mold.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
I got one from a friend, doesn't seem to grow mold (and my GF has a biology doctorate, she is the biggest germophobe/moldophobe that exists). I don't do anything special, and I only put water in it. In fact, I am actually pretty bad at leaving water in it for weeks; no mold.
 

·
Bicyclist
Joined
·
2,849 Posts
Same here

ettore said:
I got one from a friend, doesn't seem to grow mold (and my GF has a biology doctorate, she is the biggest germophobe/moldophobe that exists). I don't do anything special, and I only put water in it. In fact, I am actually pretty bad at leaving water in it for weeks; no mold.
I've got 4 of these since shortly after they came out which is well over a year. None of them have a mold growing problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
501 Posts
Same here, no mold. Been using 3 bottles for the last 3 months plus. It might be that they are stored in a A/C room and its dryer than hell in Socal's inland valleys.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
5b00 said:
I've had this bottle for a few weeks and the spout has been growing mold, even if I clean it religiously with dishwashing soap after using it. Immersing in boiling water or vinegar doesn't help. You can really get rid of the mold by taking it apart, but it's a real hassle to disassemble the spout.

Few online reviews have pointed out this flaw, but maybe I've just had bad luck with mold. It smells the same as the the stuff that grows in high-efficiency (front-loading) clothes washers. Sorry to crap on the thread, though it is a good deal if you don't get mold.
Mine grew mold in a month or so, too. Only used water in it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,198 Posts
No mold in any (6) of mine , made me look though .
 

·
Bicyclist
Joined
·
2,849 Posts
I'd take it back or call Camelbak

shiggy said:
Mine grew mold in a month or so, too. Only used water in it.
Since so many people have ones that don't grow mold it's probably a materials problem. I'm in humid Michigan btw, not a 10% humidity South Western desert area. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
tl1 said:
Since so many people have ones that don't grow mold it's probably a materials problem. I'm in humid Michigan btw, not a 10% humidity South Western desert area. :)
Bought it on a lark, and tossed it just as quick. I have dozens of Specialized Big Mouth bottles, which remain the best bottle available, overall. Have not needed to buy any of them, either.
 

·
Disgruntled Peccary
Joined
·
3,452 Posts
No mold here, and I like them much better than the Speccy bottles.. which were previously my fave... if you're having issues with funk in them try soaking the tops in denture cleaner once every couple weeks or so, or better still wash them in the dishwasher, they are dishwasher proof (cept the insulated bottles themselves.. but ALL the tops are).

And I do use mine with sugar filled, home made electrolyte and koolaid goodness.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
I wonder if it's a source of water problem? In Whistler, our water is largely unmodified water; the source is very clean (and cold!). In Windsor, our water is all reverse osmosis cleaned (IIRC); it's less tainted than even the cleanest bottled water (from the source, not sure about my tap).

Maybe the mold growing is just a function of certain combinations of minerals or chemicals added to desalinate or clean the water.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top