Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Camelbak Classic from 4 or 5 years ago (but it had seen almost no use until a couple of months ago). It looks similar (but less fancy) than this one:

I really like the idea of Camelbaks, but I have two problems with this one.
1) Whenever I hit any kind of jump or drop (even a 3" curb) it bounces around on my back, which I can't stand.
2) Since the pack is basically a cloth sack around the reservoir the bottom rounds out when I fill it, pressing awkwardly into my back and causing back pain.
It also doesn't have a waist strap, although I've never ridden with a pack with a waist strap, so I don't know if they're any good.

My question is if I buy a Camelbak like the Mule (or some similar pack with cargo space), are my two issues likely to be resolved?

·
College Boy
772 Posts
well the waste strap on the MULE does help out and when riding over rougher areas I feel it tug there a little but less bouncing. The padding on the bottom help out but when you fill your pack make sure that you remove all the air from the pack so it makes less of a bulge at the bottom.
The trick to getting the air out is after you fill you pack flip it up side down and suck the air out of it. Also on all packs make sure you have the straps pull tight so it has less room to move around.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
Yea the waist strap does help with the bouncing but I took mine off as I cant stand it around my waist. I do hate when riding down a steep hill it slides into the back of my head but I hardly ever go down steep stuff anymore. :p

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've got one with a waist strap and a sternum strap and don't have any of the issues you mentioned. Also, mine has a plastic frame of sorts that keeps the bladder off of my back, that might help your back pain issue. It's a camel back, something like ventoix? I picked it up on clearance a while back...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Timeless said:
The padding on the bottom help out but when you fill your pack make sure that you remove all the air from the pack so it makes less of a bulge at the bottom.
The trick to getting the air out is after you fill you pack flip it up side down and suck the air out of it. Also on all packs make sure you have the straps pull tight so it has less room to move around.
I think I usually manage to get all the air out (although your trick is definitely better than the one I've been using!). It definitely seems to be the lack of padding that lets it round out at the bottom.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wreckedrex said:
I've got one with a waist strap and a sternum strap and don't have any of the issues you mentioned. Also, mine has a plastic frame of sorts that keeps the bladder off of my back, that might help your back pain issue. It's a camel back, something like ventoix? I picked it up on clearance a while back...
The waistband + plastic frame sound like the perfect fix. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Yeah, the basic model you show, is nothing like the high-end packs like the Mule. Also other brands like Dakine Nomad are very good too. The larger packs have more structure to the padding, like was said, and the combination of sternum and waist belts keeps it from flopping around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts