Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a shopping spree and bought a few things including the Camelbak Mule which seems very popular. Stuffed it with a few things I usually carry in my fanny pack, filled the bladder with water and off I went on my usual 15mile ride and realized why it's called Camelbak Mule...

Omg, it made me feel as heavy as a Camel and slow as a Mule! =( I usually feel great after my ride.. but today, I just felt weighted down. Yeah, I was drinking more often and it kept me well hydrated... but you know what happens when you are filled with water... =p just wasn't a pleasant feeling.

At the end of my ride, my hands and back were aching and so was my butt! This never happened before so I have to attribute it all to the extra weight I was carrying on my back.

Came home and weighted the Mule... it was still over 3/4 full of water.. and that sucker weighed 8lbs!

My question is... do you guys just get used to the weight..? Fill it with less water..? How much water do you guys usually carry?

I'll give it a try agin with alot less water and see how it goes... but maybe I'll just go back to my fanny-pack and a 64oz gatorade mounted to my frame.

Phil.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,203 Posts
Prexus2005 said:
Went on a shopping spree and bought a few things including the Camelbak Mule which seems very popular. Stuffed it with a few things I usually carry in my fanny pack, filled the bladder with water and off I went on my usual 15mile ride and realized why it's called Camelbak Mule...

Omg, it made me feel as heavy as a Camel and slow as a Mule! =( I usually feel great after my ride.. but today, I just felt weighted down. Yeah, I was drinking more often and it kept me well hydrated... but you know what happens when you are filled with water... =p just wasn't a pleasant feeling.

At the end of my ride, my hands and back were aching and so was my butt! This never happened before so I have to attribute it all to the extra weight I was carrying on my back.

Came home and weighted the Mule... it was still over 3/4 full of water.. and that sucker weighed 8lbs!

My question is... do you guys just get used to the weight..? Fill it with less water..? How much water do you guys usually carry?

I'll give it a try agin with alot less water and see how it goes... but maybe I'll just go back to my fanny-pack and a 64oz gatorade mounted to my frame.

Phil.
I never noticed the weight when I went to the MULE from having everything mounted on the frame. In fact, my pack keeps getting heavier each year and now I haul around the HAWG.

I have found on some epic rides I have come close to killing the whole 100 oz.

Kapusta

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been usin a Mule since my very first ride. I use it when I go to the California State Fair, amusement parks, dayhikes, etc..I empty my 100 oz. bladder almost everytime I use it(my second ride was only about a 10 mile in-and-out trip, but I was thankful there was a campground at the turn around point, because I had managed to drain the thing and needed to fill it). I think remember the sore back/butt, shoulders also for me, but I got used to it quick(broken in if you will), and don't really notice it anymore( I should mention, I also am somewhat of a backpacker, and my pack weight on weekend trips is about 40 lbs). I would say if you're not drinkin all the water, then don't take as much, I bet if you removed and filled the bladder and weighed it alone, it would be responsible for 70-80% of those 8 pounds...

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
*nod* I did weight the bladder filled with 3/4 full water and the pack w/out the water. The pack with my stuff in it weighed 3lbs and the bladder/water weighed 5lbs.

So I guess I'll get used to it... and think about the benefit of having the extra weight on my back to give me a better workout. =)

Oh, do you guys usually just carry plain water? I'm thinking of dumping in a 32-64oz of Gatorade or something instead. Would that promote bacteria growth if I do that every ride? Looks like it's easy enough to clean so that shouldn't be a problem right?

Phil.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Prexus2005 said:
*nod* I did weight the bladder filled with 3/4 full water and the pack w/out the water. The pack with my stuff in it weighed 3lbs and the bladder/water weighed 5lbs.

So I guess I'll get used to it... and think about the benefit of having the extra weight on my back to give me a better workout. =)

Oh, do you guys usually just carry plain water? I'm thinking of dumping in a 32-64oz of Gatorade or something instead. Would that promote bacteria growth if I do that every ride? Looks like it's easy enough to clean so that shouldn't be a problem right?

Phil.
I like mine, you get used to it. :) I've put "rocket fuel" in mine from time to time but mostly water. I did "lose" a bladder once years ago in an older Camelback, it started growing stuff and always tasted funny after that. I think the new ones have something to help prevent any growths...

·
_
850 Posts
Phil, I have a M.U.L.E. and love it, yes, it gets a tad heavy, but I don't mind. I'd rather have a heavy pack full of stuff that will save me in an emergency situation than a lightweight pack that doesn't hold much.

Regarding the Gatorade, I use Gatorade and Powerade, sometimes diluted with some water on every ride. When Im done with the ride, the bladder goes straight into my freezer with the remaining gatorade in the bladder, or you can empty it, whatever you prefer. The best thing about having some left in the bladder is that it freezes, and on your next ride, you have nice big ice cube to keep your beverage of choice cold. I'm pretty sure that by putting it in the freezer, bacteria can NOT grow. I've been doing it for the past two years so far.

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
Lobo

You'll probably find the Camelback Lobo the right size for most daily rides. For me the Mule is a bit too much pack, lends itself to longer epics where you really need to carry lots of stuff. Even with the Lobo's 70oz reservoir, I rarely suck up all the water nor fill it completely. The lobo is great because I can carry the essentials like a extra tube, my pump, keys/wallet/phone and it doesn't feel like you're wearing a backpack. Lobo is my recommendation.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I ride with a mule......

and twenty three pounds of additional duty gear (23+8=31lbs) while on bicycle patrol......you get used to it.:D

I will empty my mule (100oz) several (2-3) times during an 8 hour shift on the bicycle.

But hey, where else can I do what I enjoy for a living and get to ride also! ;)

Gordi

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
you guys should have bought the Deuter pack. It doesn't make you feel like a camel :) I only need 3liters of water , first aid kit, high power flashlight, xtra food. It doesn't even reach 23lbs like MTB50 mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Picard

My 23 lbs of gear is in addition to the 8 lbs of the MULE.

I ride bicycle patrol at work (Deputy Sheriff) and my vest, duty belt, 2 handcuffs, OC spray, firearm, baton, small flashlight, radio, glove pouch and CPR mask weigh in at approximately 23 lbs.

Then the usual ticket book, fingerprint supplies, FI cards, spare tubes, tire patches, tire levers, multi tool etc are in the MULE.

You get used to it real quick. :D

Plus, when I ride off duty the 8 lbs feels like nothing on my back.

Gordi

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
what flashlight do you use ?

MTB-5O said:
My 23 lbs of gear is in addition to the 8 lbs of the MULE.

I ride bicycle patrol at work (Deputy Sheriff) and my vest, duty belt, 2 handcuffs, OC spray, firearm, baton, small flashlight, radio, glove pouch and CPR mask weigh in at approximately 23 lbs.

Then the usual ticket book, fingerprint supplies, FI cards, spare tubes, tire patches, tire levers, multi tool etc are in the MULE.

You get used to it real quick. :D

Plus, when I ride off duty the 8 lbs feels like nothing on my back.

Gordi
Oh, ok. You didn't mention you have to carry police gear. What kind of flashlight do you use overthere? I heard some police depts are issued with high power LED lights ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Our department issues us a rechargeable Mag-Lite flashlight, however; I purchased a Streamlight Stinger with the HP head upgrade.

http://streamlight.com/sting_hp_info.htm

It is almost as bright as the Mag-Lite, but weighs much less.

Most of the LED lights are not rechargeable and only put out from 40 to 60 lumens. Most of the high end rechargeable flashlights put out 90 to 110 lumens.

Gordi

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Inova T4 LED

MTB-5O said:
Our department issues us a rechargeable Mag-Lite flashlight, however; I purchased a Streamlight Stinger with the HP head upgrade.

http://streamlight.com/sting_hp_info.htm

It is almost as bright as the Mag-Lite, but weighs much less.

Most of the LED lights are not rechargeable and only put out from 40 to 60 lumens. Most of the high end rechargeable flashlights put out 90 to 110 lumens.

Gordi
The new Inova T4 produce 100lumens and rechargeable too. this is the URL http://www.defensedevices.com/inova-t4-rechargeable-tactical-led-flashlight.html

This light has excellent reviews by flashloholic. (flashlight experts) . I will order one for myself. It is cool. It produce true white light like HID light for cars.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We had a couple of guys who had LED lights like to T4's, however, the main complaint they had was the LED lights were kind of like a spot light with very little surrounding coverage.

They were great to "blind" subjects with, but made clearing a house or building difficult.

The weapon mounted LED's like the Surefires were labled as having a "diamond" type pattern for additional coverage which were better, but not quite as good as a flood type light.

Then again, lights are just like grips, chains, tires, saddles etc., everyone has their own favorite. :D

Gordi

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Getting back to the original subject! =p What all do you guys put in your Mule? Do you still keep tools and such in the seat bag? I could stick the minitool, spare tire, tire lever and patch kit in the mule and get rid of the seat bag... and also stick the frame mount pump in the Mule... The bike would be lighter but I would be heavier...

Thoughts?

Phil.

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
CamelBack Hawg

For riding:
Camera
Ritchey cpr 21
pocket knife
folding allen wrench
tire irons
spare tube
mini-pump
patch-kit (w/ extra glue)
CO2 inflator and 3 or 4 bbgun cartridges
garbage bag (for garbage or sudden downpours)
Water
Pen - fischer space pen
lighter
Powerbars, Cliff Bars or gels
Led Flashlight

For Patrolling (NMBP) - at races, Interbike, Etc.
same as above plus
medium sized First Aid kit
Spare rubber gloves
Spare gauze pads
Spare Med tape
eye wash
Patrol Log Book
2 way Radio (talk about type or bigger)
space blanket
sunblock
Extra Power Bars, Cliff Bars or gels
Trail Maps

Yep, it can weigh a ton. Lately I've rediscovered the joys of travelling light. Shorter rides are done with a water bottle & a seat bag w/ tube, Ultraflate (an two cartridges), patch kit, ritchey tool.

mc

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sorry for the OT Prexus....

I carry all of my "stuff" in my MULE (except for the hand tire pump - frame mount) and have ditched the seat bag.

I usually carry....
Water (DUH)
Spare tube
Patch kit
Chain links and Masters
Multi Tool - Topeak Alien 27
Multi Tool - Gerber
GPS - Magellan Meridian Gold
Tire Levers
CO2 Inflator with spare cartridges
Flashlight
Pen
Notebook
Cliff bars
Cell phone - Nextel

I have gotten to the point the weight does not bother me anymore....kinda weird when I ride without it.

Gordi

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
since i've been road cycling a lot I've been used to 1 water btl and that's it. i've wore a loaded mule and cloudwalker many times while mountain biking--I've always found I go somewhat faster and feel more free without the 'bak.

But---well just today I had the Stumpjumper up in the forest above the Kaena Point Satellite Tracking Station --USAF Space CMD--here on Oahu---5% grade 10 miles and drank almost the entire 70 oz bladder---

So I still like the Mule for liquids, tool carrying,--and 1 never knows when it will save your back in a crash.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
mule--45 to 70 oz 67% strength gatorade
bandana-electrical tape-chain tool-master links-mini mini pump-2 tubes-multi tool-money-id card-keys. gps gets clipped to the front left Camelback circular plastic bit. other stuff? I'd have 2 look and I'm lazy--Clifbars and gels go in the jersey---no seat bag on the mtb--

unless I'm riding on post Thurs mornings for PT--then it's back to 1 water btl and a seatbag--mini mini pump and patches but no tube--the chain tool, master link, id card and key.

Prexus2005 said:
Getting back to the original subject! =p What all do you guys put in your Mule? Do you still keep tools and such in the seat bag? I could stick the minitool, spare tire, tire lever and patch kit in the mule and get rid of the seat bag... and also stick the frame mount pump in the Mule... The bike would be lighter but I would be heavier...

Thoughts?

Phil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.