Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
Joined
·
11,813 Posts
The bars are kinda like one of those cereal bars while the gels are pretty much what they sound like... Always nice to have them on a ride to keep you going for the whole day and always nice if you're about to bonk.

As for the camelbacks, both of them look like they'll do the job. Not sure which one will be better for your applications though. I'm rocking a cheap one from costco for $20 and am pretty happy... haha
 

·
fuggansonofahowa
Joined
·
1,070 Posts
big_mountain_biker said:
If you intend on riding with a full face helmet/pads at times the higher end Dakine packs have straps for securing armor and a helmet for the climb up.

I've been eyeing the Dakine Apex for a while now.

http://www.dakine.com/bike/bike-packs/apex/
I've got one....haven't put it to the test yet, but I love the layout and additional space. Holds my ff helmet and pads, with enough room to add a twelve-pak (or more). My MULE suits me well for my weekday rides. IMO, It's a little tougher dealing with the bladder with the Apex.

I'll probably be loading up the Apex for this upcoming weekend riding.
 

·
Hardtail Warrior
Joined
·
509 Posts
big_mountain_biker said:
If you intend on riding with a full face helmet/pads at times the higher end Dakine packs have straps for securing armor and a helmet for the climb up.

I've been eyeing the Dakine Apex for a while now.

http://www.dakine.com/bike/bike-packs/apex/
Make sure to check out bags other than just Camelbak. They have great bladders but other companies have better bags. I personall have a Dakine Nomad pack. I've grown to love the thing. It comes with a 100oz bladder. The first one I had had 2 leaks in it. I contacted Dakine about the issue and they sent me a new bladder. In about 3 days I was good to go with a non leaking bladder. It also has a quick release button which is just awesome. What I love most about the bag though is the capacity and the organization. I can fit everything and then some in my bag. When we went to Downieville I fit food, tools, tube, pump, shorts, shirt, a towel, extra gloves, and full water in it. I was shocked that I could make all of that fit.

My brother just recently got the High Sierra bag from Costco. For $20 you won't find a better bag. The bladder opens completely from the top for easy cleaning and its a leakproof design. The bag expands and contracts for comfort based on use. It has a concealable bungee and wings. Mesh straps. Good organization. The bladder is only 2L but good for medium long trips or if you don't drink too much water. I would have almost got that bag if I didn't like mine so much.

It's good for me because I want it for those long days. You should consider your application as already mentioned. Do you want a small bag that you will forget that you even have or do you want a large bag that can carry everything you need for epic day rides? Maybe you want a bag that is in between that two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,253 Posts
Hawseman said:
I've got one....haven't put it to the test yet, but I love the layout and additional space. Holds my ff helmet and pads, with enough room to add a twelve-pak (or more). My MULE suits me well for my weekday rides. IMO, It's a little tougher dealing with the bladder with the Apex.

I'll probably be loading up the Apex for this upcoming weekend riding.
Let us know how that works out, especially if you take your full face. I hate hanging my helmet off my bars and smacking it with my knees constantly.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
64 Posts
big_mountain_biker said:
Let us know how that works out, especially if you take your full face. I hate hanging my helmet off my bars and smacking it with my knees constantly.
waht i do is tie the strap so the helmet sits tight on the bar stem combo in front of the bars... takes a bit of time to get it right but once you do it isnt a problem anymore.... as far as camelbacks go, the MULE RULES! and is super tough. Had mine for 4 years now and still loooks new whenever i decide to clean it :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
64 Posts
opivyattack said:
Make sure to check out bags other than just Camelbak. They have great bladders but other companies have better bags. I personall have a Dakine Nomad pack. I've grown to love the thing. It comes with a 100oz bladder. The first one I had had 2 leaks in it. I contacted Dakine about the issue and they sent me a new bladder. In about 3 days I was good to go with a non leaking bladder. It also has a quick release button which is just awesome. What I love most about the bag though is the capacity and the organization. I can fit everything and then some in my bag. When we went to Downieville I fit food, tools, tube, pump, shorts, shirt, a towel, extra gloves, and full water in it. I was shocked that I could make all of that fit.

My brother just recently got the High Sierra bag from Costco. For $20 you won't find a better bag. The bladder opens completely from the top for easy cleaning and its a leakproof design. The bag expands and contracts for comfort based on use. It has a concealable bungee and wings. Mesh straps. Good organization. The bladder is only 2L but good for medium long trips or if you don't drink too much water. I would have almost got that bag if I didn't like mine so much.

It's good for me because I want it for those long days. You should consider your application as already mentioned. Do you want a small bag that you will forget that you even have or do you want a large bag that can carry everything you need for epic day rides? Maybe you want a bag that is in between that two.
in my MULE:
Shock pump, tire pump not the mini a big one, food, tire levers, tube, wallet keys phone, small first aid kit, small parts kit(IE power link in case someone breaks a chain and few other things, ) basically what you carry other then xtra gloves,,, never thought of bringing xtra gloves.
also i managed to find a way to strap on my armor for the grueling 1.5 hour constant climbs ,,, although 3 litres of water sometimes just isn't enough
 

·
fuggansonofahowa
Joined
·
1,070 Posts
big_mountain_biker said:
Let us know how that works out, especially if you take your full face. I hate hanging my helmet off my bars and smacking it with my knees constantly.
Will do....I'll try and get some pics posted.

I'm dreading moving all of my tools/parts from the MULE. I've got that packed fairly tightly for any Mcgiver moment encountered on the trail.

@jirotrom
Good choice with the Octane. IMHO, "make smaller" usually works....."make bigger" never works. On some day-long rides I need hardware AND eats.
 

·
uhhhhhyea
Joined
·
335 Posts
Don't buy gel. Honey, molasses, and a pinch of salt will give you the same exact thing, nutritionally. All natural, no need to refrigerate and honey is an antibacterial so you can slap it on open wounds ;) actually, i can't confirm that this would be good for a wound, but it's cheap anyways.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
64 Posts
lpranal said:
Don't buy gel. Honey, molasses, and a pinch of salt will give you the same exact thing, nutritionally. All natural, no need to refrigerate and honey is an antibacterial so you can slap it on open wounds ;) actually, i can't confirm that this would be good for a wound, but it's cheap anyways.
another one is powerbars... i really cheap alternative is the Eat More bars... basically same nutrients at a fraction of the cost and no it isnt a chocolate bar.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top