Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I will be purchasing my first camelbak for future riding and hiking and noticed that the popular sizes are 1.5 L or 3.0 L. Which size would you recommend @ first? I'm a complete rookie with MTB riding. Thank you all!

Brian M

·
Bloodied but Unbowed
1,498 Posts
3.0L, no question. You'll burn through that easily in 2-3 hours if you're drinking anywhere near what your body needs, even less time on rides with bigger effort.

You can put less water in a bigger container. The inverse of that equation doesn't work so well.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Before you buy a Camelbak go to REI or somewhere that has a selection of different brands and try a few on with a little weight in them.
If you're tall you might not like how Camelbaks fit. I love Osprey packs because they fit great, but hate the Nalgene bladder they come with. So I ride with an Osprey pack and a Camelback bladder. lots of people like Dakine packs too.
Camelbak might be the best choice for you, but do youself a favor and try a few on so you don't end up buying another one next year.

·
Thread Killer
131 Posts
If you don't like the fit or the selection of hydration packs (Camelbaks), try a day pack and purchase the bladder separately. It cost me <$25 to make and its the best pack of the four I've had so far.

·
Dirt Merchant
312 Posts
DesertCrawler said:
You can put less water in a bigger container. The inverse of that equation doesn't work so well.
Then why does my boss always want me to fit 10 pounds of shat into a 5 pound sack?

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you know of anyone in the military, get a Camelback from the local PX. They are awesome.

My GF just got me a HAWG for my B-day. It can hold a ton of stuff, has adjustments for all body types, and can hold a second 3liter bladder (I have been searching for this feature for a while).

The bladder is different than the civilian ones, way easier to use and stronger.

Plus it is almost invisible to IR, and has all sorts of extra tactical features.

Not for weight weenies

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
All good comments....buy based on the pack, not the bladder. For AZ riding 3L is a must...you can always put less in. One thing about bladders I find: Less is more. Valves get screwed up, frozen, hard to clear if you use it in the winter - extra features like a rigid structure to keep the bladder upright, etc not necessarily a good thing - driven by marketing....the simplest design along with a good CONOPS for keeping the funk at bay is the best option....IMHO. This means always putting your bladder in the fridge after use.....if you do this right, you only need to clean twice a year and won't have funk....and I used my camelback 2 out of every 3 days last year...so take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've been really happy with my hydrapak big sur. Plenty of storage, 3L, and I like the bladder design. Being able to turn the bladder inside out to clean is a nice feature. It's also easy to dump ice into the bladder because of the large opening.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
FireLikeIYA said:
Only the items sold under the MIL line, the rest are made in China.....and just because you sew on a bunch of daisy chains to every square inch of the pack does not make it better....it just makes it heavier and functionally absurd.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.