Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how long a ride should be to need to use a hydration pack. I have one, and find it very nice no matter how long the ride is, but I also find i drink more water than I need to when I use it, but it is so much more convenient.
I was just wondering when i should use it, and when not, because I am pretty much a newbie about long distance riding.

·
Registered
308 Posts
oilerfan30 said:
I was just wondering how long a ride should be to need to use a hydration pack. I have one, and find it very nice no matter how long the ride is, but I also find i drink more water than I need to when I use it, but it is so much more convenient.
I was just wondering when i should use it, and when not, because I am pretty much a newbie about long distance riding.
The rule of thumb is 1litre per hour. If you drink more than that it's okay to a point. Then your body will tell you to cool it with stomach cramps. I tend to drink a bit less per hour, using up 3.0litres in just about 4 hours. Your best bet is to experiment. With discipline one can go to about 600ml per hour, but be aware of the signs and symptoms of dehydration.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well see its all up to your body.. Take a drink when you need it. Personally dont drink when i dont need to at all. For example, lets say if i have a huge ass intsense downhill coming up... Very technical, i may not even drink before it. SO then ill ride it. Then by the time i finish it, lets say 20 mins, an easy ride comes up, i may not be feeling the water, so just drink a lil bit, when you need it. If your body doesnt need it, dotn use it. Also a tip which i use for rugby, drink like a litre before you go biking. This way you are all ready hydrated. I do that when i play rugby and everyone questions y i dont need water, simply b/c ive already hydrated myself up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.