Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the Camelback MULE as a gift. It looks pretty sweet to me, but just wondering if anybody's had problems with it or has a better one in mind because I can exchange it for a different one. Any tips are apperciated!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a friend with one and he seems to like it. I thought the design was cool, but I think I remember the price being around 100 bucks. I ended up finding a dakine pack with loads more space that holds 3 liters and it was on clearance for 60 bucks at skipro. Depending on where you got it I might go check out what else they have to see if you like anything better. The two important things for me was water capacity and room for tools and other stuff. I like to have at least 3 liters, but 2 is fine.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
been using mine for several years, its carries a lot of stuff, but not enough for multiple layers of clothes and lots more food. If you can afford 2, its a great small pack that still holds 100oz, but too small if your only one imo.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
chollaball said:
been using mine for several years, its carries a lot of stuff, but not enough for multiple layers of clothes and lots more food. If you can afford 2, its a great small pack that still holds 100oz, but too small if your only one imo.
I disagree - the MULE has been my only pack for several years now. I can always fit in food, water, clothes, tools, spare parts, first aid, tampons. ohhh... I guess tampons fit into just about any pack. The straps are super for holding armor on the way up the hill. It's a good place to start and is tons better than what you had a few weekends ago up in Flag! That Mule is a keeper, especially if it was a gift!

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
transientplanet said:
I just got the Camelback MULE as a gift. It looks pretty sweet to me, but just wondering if anybody's had problems with it or has a better one in mind because I can exchange it for a different one. Any tips are apperciated!
I had an older one, and I hated it. I could barely fit a tube, multitool and tire irons in it (with a full bladder). Might have a better design now, but I got a Dakine Nomad for the b-day, and I love it. I can fit so much more in it, and the bladder is easier to get in and out to fill.

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
Hey Kathleen, Are you sure?? I noticed the pack you were using last weekend was the HAWG, unless you are using another Mule on other SoMo rides that I don't know about.

IMO, A HAWG size pack is the way to go for one pack for all types of rides.

DurtGurl said:
I disagree - the MULE has been my only pack for several years now. I can always fit in food, water, clothes, tools, spare parts, first aid, tampons. ohhh... I guess tampons fit into just about any pack. The straps are super for holding armor on the way up the hill. It's a good place to start and is tons better than what you had a few weekends ago up in Flag! That Mule is a keeper, especially if it was a gift!

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
Epicrider said:
Hey Kathleen, Are you sure?? I noticed the pack you were using last weekend was the HAWG, unless you are using another Mule on other SoMo rides that I don't know about.

IMO, A HAWG size pack is the way to go for one pack for all types of rides.
OOOOOOPS!!! You are so right. The HAWG is the one for sure. MULE is too little. My apologies to transient for the misguided information!

·
livin' the dream......
1,969 Posts
Still a fan of the CB Blowfish. I think this is smaller than the Mule, but can get all I need for a few hour ride. It has 100oz bladder and two zipper compartments, compression zipper and a mesh outer pocket. This pocket is handy for picking up others people junk that gets dropped on trai w/o putting it inside your pack.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
I have the mule and am able to carry a full load of water,tube,tools,knee and shin pads,helmet came and camera.

Wish it was bigger but other than that it has held up just fine.

My next pack will be the hawg

·
"Yabut"
838 Posts
I have a newer MULE, and I do not like it. It's way too small for long days, and too big for the quickie rides. I have an older HAWG, and it's perfecto. I also have a large Dakine, and the pack is great! But the bladder is a piece of junk. The hose leaks where it connects to the bladder, and the bite valve is hokey. So I'm going to install a Camelback bladder in it.

·
EDR
10,584 Posts
the Mule is great for what it is but if you need to cram 2nd layer clothing or much in the way of food it is too small with a full bladder. I went from the Mule to the Hawg and the Hawg is perfect. You can even throw a second 100 ounce blader in the main compartment for summer riding and still have enough space for the essential tools/tube, etc.

If you don't do long rides or ever need to carry extra stuff then the Mule is perfect, otherwise trade up to the Hawg (or just do it anyway and be set for the future)

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
Camelbak has yet to convince me that they can design a good backback. I don't think they use the human back as the basis for their designs, I think they use a telephone pole. :D Either that or I'm a weird hunchback. They do great hydration bladders though, the best IMO.

Get an Osprey and put a Camelback bladder in it. I have a Talon 22 that is lighter than my old HAWG, holds the load lower on my body, and is way more stable. Breathes pretty good too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.