Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I don't have one but have been seriously considering getting one to replace my Rogue. The only concern I have is how restrictive/hot it might feel with those front pockets, but it sure would be nice to be able to access stuff without taking the pack off.

The reviews on the web have all been really good. There's even an MTBR review.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Looks nice, a bit expensive though.

I like front pockets to stash food and eat on the go. The hip storage on the Osprey has been very convenient. 1.5l is adequate for a moderate length ride. But convenient enough instead of a bottle on questionable days.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have one and have used it for about one full season. It doesn't move at all when riding. I went with this after using a Skyline pack. Much more minimal. The front pockets are great but can get a bit tight depending what you put in them. I do wish it had some kind of belt to secure the bottom part instead of just across the chest. I wind up tying the two straps that hang down a bit over my stomach. This season I decided to try going bladder-less so to speak and replaced this with a Bontrager hip pack. Now I carry a water bottle on my bike on one in my pack. If I feel I need more water for a ride I use my Chase. As much as I like the Chase over a bigger pack I really am getting used to having nothing on my back.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I have one and have used it for about one full season. It doesn't move at all when riding. I went with this after using a Skyline pack. Much more minimal. The front pockets are great but can get a bit tight depending what you put in them. I do wish it had some kind of belt to secure the bottom part instead of just across the chest. I wind up tying the two straps that hang down a bit over my stomach. This season I decided to try going bladder-less so to speak and replaced this with a Bontrager hip pack. Now I carry a water bottle on my bike on one in my pack. If I feel I need more water for a ride I use my Chase. As much as I like the Chase over a bigger pack I really am getting used to having nothing on my back.
Is a spare tube going to be too bulky to pack in?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Is a spare tube going to be too bulky to pack in?
Depends on how much other stuff you carry. I could fit a spare tube, zip lock bag of first aid items, small multi tool, snack, money clip and phone but it was pushing it a bit. When the bladder is full it can make for feeling like you have a tumor on your upper back but obviously it is a bit more form fitting as you drink and the bladder gets smaller. I have since transitioned to carrying a tube, pump/multi tool (OneUp) on my bike and only the first aid, digital gauge, CO2, snack, keys, money clip and phone in my Bontrager fanny pack.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^ Is there enough room in the back pockets to store less frequently used items like a tube, mini pump/CO2, levers etc? The only things I'd really prefer to have in the front pockets would be my phone, small food items....

1.5 liters is equivalent to two large 24oz water bottles so plenty of H2O for most all of my rides. In many cases (cooler/shorter rides) I wouldn't have to fill it to capacity. I can put a bottle in the cage for additional water if needed.

·
Registered
564 Posts
^^^ Is there enough room in the back pockets to store less frequently used items like a tube, mini pump/CO2, levers etc? The only things I'd really prefer to have in the front pockets would be my phone, small food items....

1.5 liters is equivalent to two large 24oz water bottles so plenty of H2O for most all of my rides. In many cases (cooler/shorter rides) I wouldn't have to fill it to capacity. I can put a bottle in the cage for additional water if needed.
There is room for the mentioned items. Also, the less water you fill the bladder with the less bulky it may feel.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have one, love it tbh. I use it often to carry 30-40oz in the bladder and pair it with an on frame water bottle for 3 hour rides. I throw a quick stow flask in it for 4 hour rides for some extra. I usually carry a small multitool, a dynaplug, WT quick link pliers, 2 co2 canisters and some tire patch kits as well. I do carry a 27.5 tube in it on occasion but mostly i strap the tubes to the my frames.

It carries surprisingly well while fully loaded. I tend to carry some snacks in the front pockets along with chapstick and some other misc items. I feel that it wears well with a balanced load but also wears just as well with all of the back.

One nice thing is that I am still able to use jersey or bib pockets while wearing this. I use a specialized and patagonia storage bib for most rides whether I'm wearing a pack or not. This allows me to carry a stowable rain jacket in my bib pockets and also wear the chase vest.

Overall I'm a pretty big fan. It's a better option then a hip pack for me as I have a bad back and any leveraged load on my low back is bad mojo.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I got one this year for BC Bike Race and have become a fan. It's less bulky than my Osprey Raptor for ~3hr rides and it stays in place much better than some of the other minimalist Camelbak packs that don't have the two sternum type straps. I don't feel it move around.

Other things I like about it: you can store things like clif bloks or a phone on the front and they are quick to access without removing the pack. I also second what was said about them not interfering with the jersey or bib pockets. I found that really handy for putting thing like sunglasses where I could quickly get them back out.

I have tried going packless and using hip packs + bottles only, but I find I end up not drinking as often or as much as when I have a bladder tube I can quickly take a hit on while riding versus reaching for a bottle...

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,168 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
So, does it fit an average-sized modern smart phone in the front pockets?
I have a pixel 2 XL that I can fit into the front pocket (just barely, any bigger it would be tough. I have a slim case on mine as well. My outside to outside dimensions of my phone and case are 6-7/16" Tall x 3-1/4" Wide x 7/16" Tall.

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
So, does it fit an average-sized modern smart phone in the front pockets?
I have an iPhone SE (5 size) and it fits easily. I was carrying in the unsecured, external pocket for awhile, but then I lost it riding bike park! Luckily someone turned it in. Super convenient to have it close at hand.

To echo others, I love this pack. Came from a very small USWE pack that I also liked, but it didn't have room for much. Works awesome for enduro racing.

·
West Chester, PA
5,005 Posts
The osprey duro is very similar but they're only marketing it for running, and missing out on a lot of sales in my opinion. I got one for road biking and I'm never going back to trying to carry everything I need stuffed in jersey pockets. I was able to ditch the saddle bag and really enjoy drinking from the hose rather than reaching for the bottles.
It's 1.5l like the chase, but I feel that the osprey bladder and bite valve is superior to camelbak. The osprey bladder is easier to fill completely and has a quick connection for the hose that makes removing it easier. It also comes in 2 sizes instead of just one

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I bought a Chase and have one good ride on it. It took some adjusting so that it didn't feel like it was constricting my chest. I undid the lower elastic strap and have the upper strap nearly fully extended. I'm not huge at 5'9" and 41" chest so if you're bigger it may not work. Side straps are also adjustable.

The bladder is a big improvement over my 4-5 year old CB Rogue. The lid is easier to get on-off and the hose flows a heck of lot more water, which is really a big improvement. The Rogue has a 2 liter bladder but it's a tight fit in the backpack and generally only really fits 1.5 liter. The Chase easily takes the full 1.5 liter. A nice feature of the Rogue is you can fill the bladder without removing it from the pack. Not so with the Chase.

The Rogue storage and pockets were perfect for my use. The Chase has more pockets with the main feature being the front pockets. I put phone, keys, wallet, spare tube, levers and mini tool in the front pockets to counterbalance the weight on the back and it does feel more comfortable this way. The Rogue straps felt like they were cutting into my shoulders to a degree. The chase is much more comfortable in this respect. I very rarely use a tool on a ride, but I did have occasion to use my mini tool to make a quick adjustment to my levers after a mishap and it was great not having to take the pack off to access it.

The construction of the front pockets is a more elaborate than necessary IMO, perhaps to a detrimental degree. The left has two zippers and the top tucks under a flap. The right has a combo elastic drawstring and zipper and the zipper tends to open on its own.

First putting it on fully loaded the weight of the pockets covering part of my chest felt weird, but once riding it was less noticeable and more comfortable than the Rogue. It was fine in temps in the mid 60s. IDK if it would be hot on warmer days.

·
No Clue Crew
7,633 Posts
Used mine for the first time today. Still not appropriate weather in Phoenix for this bag -- it was 90 degrees and humid half an hour before sunrise when I started -- but with a bottle it was OK for a 10-mile ride on South Mountain.

When I got the bag, I was shocked at how small it actually is.

That said, I really like the way it fits and how it keeps the mass higher up on my shoulders; I don't like having weight around my waist or lower back. Tons of storage options, enough water when combined with a bottle and reasonable weather.

Happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Yeah. 1.5 liter is equivalent to 2 large water bottles at 24 oz each. That's good for most my rides and I'll supplement it with a 24 oz bottle on my downtube when needed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.