Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Plain and simple..........I Dread it!
Anybody a procrastinator with this issue or are you faithful to not let it sit with fluid in it after use?
I put water only in mine and I would say 70% of the time it sits with water in it for a day or two before I clean and air it out. I once pulled the Lizard skin off and revealed to me was a black hose line.....I didn't like that to much. Needless to say, I started airing it out after every ride.
I should be ashamed of myself ! :(

·
wawe member
892 Posts
Konapdlr said:
Plain and simple..........I Dread it!
Anybody a procrastinator with this issue or are you faithful to not let it sit with fluid in it after use?
I put water only in mine and I would say 70% of the time it sits with water in it for a day or two before I clean and air it out. I once pulled the Lizard skin off and revealed to me was a black hose line.....I didn't like that to much. Needless to say, I started airing it out after every ride.
I should be ashamed of myself ! :(
Like the Barenaked Ladies sing, It's all been done...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've never had any nastiness growing in mine..

I believe it was my procrastination that led to how I keep that from happening.

Every time I ride I fill it with Ice and water, flip it upside down, and get all of the air out. I ride, and when done I lock the bite valve, and the remaining water in the bladder. When I'm ready to ride again I empty the water, rinse it a few times with very hot tap water, and make sure I run plenty of it through the hose.

I fill it up again and I'm off.

I think it's the lack of air bubbles that keep it from growing anything crazy. I'm not saying it doesn't need a washing every time... It's just never like opening a tupperware that has been in the fridge way too long..

Joe

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
I've been pretty neglectful of the ole camelbak bladder recently. The last time I cleaned the hose with my handy-dandy piece of paper towel tied to fishing line it looked like the paper towel was covered in snot. It disgusted me so much that I couldn't bring myself to drink on the next ride. ewwwwww

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
I allways refill it after a ride, purge the air, wash the bite valve with soap and hot water then stick it in the fridge
going on 2 years with no nasties. I also only fill it with water

·
i want spring!
480 Posts
water

dan0 said:
I allways refill it after a ride, purge the air, wash the bite valve with soap and hot water then stick it in the fridge
going on 2 years with no nasties. I also only fill it with water
i think filling it wit water is key. the other sticky things, like gatorade is bad. Ever see the disposable premixed bladder (just add water), i think gatorade made em and at one point in time Performance was selling them.

db

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,165 Posts
Quick, complete rinse post ride, sometimes wash with soap and hot water then always store in the freezer. No problems for, well.... ever.
Gave up on the neophrene hose holder. That was a PITA to dry and clean

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
I agree with keeping it in the fridge. We don't refill ours before we store them in the fridge. Get done with the ride and into the fridge they go. We have gotten years out of them without any funk.

mtnbikej

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Mine is so insanely nasty. I just do what I can throughout the year, hope I don't die from the black stuff growing in the tube, then buy a new bladder at the end of the year. I do admit, that the flu has been going around, and I haven't gotten it. Coincidence? I think not.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
he he mine is gross too, more often than not the last ride of the season's water is still in the bladder on the first ride of next season. i won't comment on whether i still use the water or not...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Here's what I do...

I usually end up with one of these scenarios:

1) Get home, immediately take bladder out, stuff a rag up in it, and dry it out. 2) Get home, throw gear bag into closet and forget about the Camelbak, resulting in a heavy film of plankton in the bladder.

#2 usually happens more times than #1. When it does, I fill the bladder with warm water and dump in a cap full (as in the bottle cap) of bleach. Shake like heck and dump it out through the hose. After which, I rinse out a couple of times. Been doing this for years without any harmful side effects...effects...effects...effects. Really, it works.

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Black Bart said:
Like the Barenaked Ladies sing, It's all been done...
Black Bart, maybe you misunderstood my post. I did not start this thread to find out how many other bladder threads there are. You could pretty much pull up previous threads for every topic (thread) currently posted on MTBR. If I was researching something inparticular like say "Shimano vs. Sram derailers", I would look for all previous posts/topics/threads So, in short, thanks for your input but it had nothing to do with this thread. I know HOW to clean my bladder and I know HOW many other discussions of hydration packs there are. I was just curious if anybody else shared my same bad habit.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
Make sure you clean those things out!! I always dump mine out after a ride and let it air out so the issue is not with the baldder or the tube. The problem rests with the mouthpiece. I got really sick this summer after using a mouthpiece that had not been cleaned for quite some time. Never do that one again..........

·
Registered
270 Posts
Take care of your stuff and your stuff will take care of you. After 20 years of riding I have developed some routines. At the end of a ride I clean my bike, clean my stuff (including bladder) and clean myself. I never get mechanicals, cooties in my bladder (s) or saddle sores. And my bladders, chains and drivelines last for years.

·
All bow down to pigeontoe
90 Posts
I haven't cleaned mine in over two years and I use it 3-4 times a week, weather permitting.

I only use Brita filtered water.

I don't put anything else in it to contaminate it.

I don't even dump out old water, just drink it. Never been sick from it.

·
Combat Wombat
1,850 Posts
Used to have problems.....

MOMBIOUSHIBACHI said:
I haven't cleaned mine in over two years and I use it 3-4 times a week, weather permitting.

I only use Brita filtered water.

I don't put anything else in it to contaminate it.

I don't even dump out old water, just drink it. Never been sick from it.
Seemed like something was always growing in mine, but haven't had problems in a year or so. I now use only water and limit that to almost entirely destilled bottled water, the stuff at the local grocery store that comes in the gallon jugs for .98 cents. Come home, wash off the bite valve and hang on the door in my hallway. Have used the same water after hanging there for a week, with nothing growing in it and no change in taste.

Brian

·
Just win baby!
360 Posts
I never clean it. After a ride I just empty whatever water is left, blow out the water in the hose and throw it in the freezer. Nothing grows when it's froze. :D

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,393 Posts
Tryin to keep up...

I'll agree with DrJ its either immediate dump/rinse/dry or its go get the camelbak and say "oops" - just depends on energy level after ride. For short rides in cool weather I run tap water, all others get koolaid/electromix/sugar. You must realize that the black ick is from your own mouth - and if your mouth hasn't killed you yet, well.....I don't drink out of a black lagoon either. Triple rinse with hot water, then hang to dry takes care of most, but a shot of bleach/fill with water- let set overnight cures rest. The long brush thru the hose is needed once a year or so.

I also keep multiple bladders so an "oops" is not a major rideblock.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.