Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered several items from Cambria Bike including a Park floor pump. A few days after I place the order I receive an e-mail saying that my items have been shipped. The items were listed, but no pump. Ok no big deal, I must have forgotten to order it or they cancelled it because it was out of stock. They did not mention anything about any backordered items. No problem I just go to my LBS and buy a new pump. Problem solved. My stuff comes from Cambria; all the items listed in the e-mail are there. Then a few days later I get another e-mail from Cambria saying that my order has been shipped, no items are listed. Um ok now I am confused. I drop them an e-mail (at the address they provided a link to in the ship confirmation e-mail) asking what was shipped, no response. Then a few days later I get the mystery pump that I had ordered. I send them another e-mail asking about returning it, no surprises here; I do not get a response. I think that they are trying to send me the message that I am SOL. I have two major gripes here. First they should let the customer know AT THE POINT OF PURCHASE if an item is back ordered. I do not go the gas station, buy a Snapple and then after I pay find out I won’t get it for a few weeks. Second is their complete lack of communication, they did not let me know the item was backordered. Then they will not respond to any of my e-mails. This is not my idea of customer service; they’ve got my money, why should they care anymore? I still have the item in the box if they want to pay for shipping so that I can return it, I will retract everything that I have said on here (and will continue to say). If they do not right this wrong I have to say that I’D RATHER RIDE A HUFFY THAN BUY FROM CAMBRIA AGAIN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
I've had the exact same experiences with them. their email notification system is obviously broken. I got one before that had all the variables in the email instead of what was supposed to be plugged in, tracking #, etc. if you call them they are good, but they must not use computers over there much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
I've got a worse story about Cambria

About a year ago I shopped around for a new custom bike, and complete build kit seperately. Got a detailed quote from Cambria on all the items, as well as others. Wound up buying everything elsewhere. A week later, I come home to find that the UPS man left me a bunch of boxes. From Cambria!!! It was the stuff I called for a quote on, but I never ordered the stuff. I called them and they told me basically "tough, I ordered it" and wanted me to pay return shipping on everything. Funny thing was, I never spec'd tires, stem length, seatpost size, etc as it was just a quote. They just threw whatever they had in the box and shipped it.

They FINALLY took it back after countless calls where I left a msg for a mgr, who was (not suprisingly) never there, and (not suprisingly) never returned my calls. I finally caught him there once, and all he did was insinuate I was in the wrong with a real pissy attitude. It litterally took me 2 weeks of constant BS to get it corrected. In fact, if I remember correctly, I had to take it up with my CC company to get it resolved, as I was getting nowhere with the Cambria Knuckleheads. Once they understood they weren't gonna get paid for any of it, even the return shipping, they finally got the hint.

That was the last time I ever called Cambria, and it's been over a year now. Which is a shame as honestly I have a continuously revolving door of high-end bikes in my house and spend considerably more than the average biker on bike stuff. Road and mountain.

I rank them as an incredibly poor place to do business with, not just for the blatant screw-up, but also for the run-around and countless unreturned phone calls I had to place to get it fixed, as well as for the incredibly sh*tty attitude I got from them. Hey, if you want to be that way, I WILL take my business elsewhere!

I do everything possible to steer people clear of Cambria. Including posting here.

Think of it this way: there are plenty of reputable LBS's out there, as well as mail order companies, that are run and staffed by good people who want to steer you right instead of force a sale. Why shop at a place like Cambria and actually put food on their table when there are so many other better choices out there?

-T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TomFL said:
Think of it this way: there are plenty of reputable LBS's out there, as well as mail order companies, that are run and staffed by good people who want to steer you right instead of force a sale. Why shop at a place like Cambria and actually put food on their table when there are so many other better choices out there?

-T
Yeah I do business with both several LBS's and online retailers other than Cambria. I have never had this bad of an experience with anybody before this. I guess the 30$ on a new pump also includes a free lesson that I plan to spread on: STAY AWAY FROM CAMBRIA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Yeah, Cambria is a mess

Everything is OK if they have all you ordered in stock, but watch out if they have the item back ordered, or it is not where the order picker thought it should be. What a mess that becomes, they ship what they have in stock, ship what they get in stock later, and in one case shipped what they had in stock and then on top of that shipped what they got in stock later.
My friend ordered a SRAM hub with disc adapter along with some other stuff. He got his whole order, and then a couple of days later he received another SRAM hub with an invoice that said here is your backordered item. He tried to return it but in the same manner as other Cambria screw ups, he could never talk to anyone that wanted to help him. So he ended up with 2 hubs for the price of one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha Ha he got a free hub? Must be nice, I just got stuck with a pump that I don't need (which I paid for). You said to watch out if something is backordered? There is no way to know, even after the order is placed. They didn't even let me know that my item was backordered. I thought that I had a "brain fart" and forgot to order it. Oh well I guess buying from Cambria in the first place was an even bigger case of mental flatulence. On the topic of reputable and not reputable online retailers, anyone ever deal with bicycletires.com? I just found a pretty good price on a torque wrench from them. I have very little faith in some of these operations thanks to this experience.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Merrimack Dave said:
Exactly what I was wondering. :confused:
Does seem strange. I would not have given a CC# for a quote request. Heck, I would not have given an address!. If I had not supplied a card number and the place shipped the stuff anyway I would have given them 1-2 chances to send a call tag. If they say "no" to that, the parts are a gift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
shiggy said:
You gave them your CC# when getting just a quote? :eek:
My bad on not including one very important point. I should have made it clear that I WAS a regular customer of theirs up to that point. I was on a first-name basis with Penelope there, although she was not the one who messed the order up. They had all of my info on file including my CC info of course, and when I called for a quote I used my name to keep a record of the spec so that once I decided to place the order--IF I decided to place it with them--it could be pulled up from the system easily.

-T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone see an issue here when it seems like we as the consumer are expected to jump through rings with these companies just to get our orders right? What ever happened to "the customer is always right"? I've seen people in various posts on this page who feel that if you don't take every action possible, short of tattooing your dissatisfaction on your behind and faxing a picture of it to customer service, that you deserve to get scammed by these companies? I have just sent a 3rd e-mail to the address that they provided. This time asking for better contact info. If I get nothing, then I will call, but if they do not respond to my questions when they are asked in the method they recommend, what kind of service will I get when I try another method? For a 25$ pump it hardly seems worth it anymore. They have just lost me and hopefully a few other people as potential future customers. I'd rather support businesses that want my business.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
FWIW I bought a bunch of stuff from Cambria when building up my bike this year. Got SRAM, Titec, ODI, Park, Topeak, etc., that is, a wide variety of gear. I guess I was lucky because they gave me good prices on things and delivery was on time. I also did well with BlueSky and Airbomb because no one place had all the products I needed. Note that all 3 dealers were willing to meet their competitors' lowest prices which were found by searching the web.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Similar experiences with Cambria Also.

Once with incomplete orders with no mention of a back order or time frame to expect the completion of the order. But at least in my case I did successfully cancel the back order by phone and purchased the item elsewhere.

The reason I won't purchase from Cambria again is because on two separate occasions I received items that were apparently ravaged for parts by someone in the shop.

I purchased a "New Set of Rollers", but what I received was an opened box that had been stripped of the leveling legs and the belt that drives the front roller. When I called Cambria, at first they thought I must have miss-placed them, then they wanted me to ship the entire unit back before they would ship me a new one.

After I explained to the manager that one of two things would be happening (ie..once I received a new complete roller along with a prepaid return lable to ship the other one back, I would send the incomplete unit back; or secondly I would simply have my CC company reverse the charge and put in a disputed claim against Cambria). The manager sent me out a replacement unit and a return lable.

The second time I ordered two of the "Head-lock" stem bolt systems, and both of them were missing the bottom nuts, and the blister packs had clearly been opened & re-stapled shut. Again I gave the manager the same two options to correct the order.

I biggest problem I have with Cambria is that there is a clear lack of control at thier shop. If someone in their shop opens a package to take a part to use in the shop or on someones bike, they should have the common sense to take the item off the floor. Also the moron who was packaging the items for shipping shoud have clearly noticed that the blister pack had been opened and re-stapled, and a critical component of the part was missing.

Cambria needs to clean up their act.

I have not purchased from them since and will never purchase from them again.

The likewise goes for a LBS in my area for really bad service and bad communication.

Good service is still out there but you have to look for it, and once you find it you should support that company whether it's a LBS or Online retailer.

Just my .02
 

·
...
Joined
·
493 Posts
dumpy said:
I recently ordered several items from Cambria Bike including a Park floor pump. A few days after I place the order I receive an e-mail saying that my items have been shipped. The items were listed, but no pump. Ok no big deal, I must have forgotten to order it or they cancelled it because it was out of stock. They did not mention anything about any backordered items. No problem I just go to my LBS and buy a new pump. Problem solved. My stuff comes from Cambria; all the items listed in the e-mail are there. Then a few days later I get another e-mail from Cambria saying that my order has been shipped, no items are listed. Um ok now I am confused. I drop them an e-mail (at the address they provided a link to in the ship confirmation e-mail) asking what was shipped, no response. Then a few days later I get the mystery pump that I had ordered. I send them another e-mail asking about returning it, no surprises here; I do not get a response. I think that they are trying to send me the message that I am SOL. I have two major gripes here. First they should let the customer know AT THE POINT OF PURCHASE if an item is back ordered. I do not go the gas station, buy a Snapple and then after I pay find out I won't get it for a few weeks. Second is their complete lack of communication, they did not let me know the item was backordered. Then they will not respond to any of my e-mails. This is not my idea of customer service; they've got my money, why should they care anymore? I still have the item in the box if they want to pay for shipping so that I can return it, I will retract everything that I have said on here (and will continue to say). If they do not right this wrong I have to say that I'D RATHER RIDE A HUFFY THAN BUY FROM CAMBRIA AGAIN.
Ever heard of a phone call? It usually works wonders when your e-mail is not returned for a couple of days. Also, why did you not call them and check to see why the pump you ordered was not on the invoice? It sounds like there was a lack of good communication on their part, but yours as well. I find that a lot of bike related businesses aren't so great with the e-mail thing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,751 Posts
dumpy said:
Does anyone see an issue here when it seems like we as the consumer are expected to jump through rings with these companies just to get our orders right? What ever happened to "the customer is always right"?
You think Cambria is bad, it has taken me 2 weeks and 5 hours of time to return a Dell Laptop that was defective out of the box. If you value your time at all, don't buy a Dell, they really treat their customers like crap now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Mail Order Problems

I guess I am the devils advocate here... First the pump, It sucks that it is back ordered. It is cool you thought it was your fault. But, they did ship the back order at no charge to you. So you would have only been out the return shipping to return it. But, if you would have called they would have most likely sent you a call tag. The key word is call....
The bike quote that turned into a sale for some sly salesman, I find a few things wrong with your story. First, if they charged your card without permission that is illigal. Whomever used your card without permission ( the commission hungary salesman) could be brought up on charges of fraud. Especially if they specced items you did not ask for. Second, if you have a repoire with a sales person like the one you were on a first name basis with why didn't you get a quote from them. You are more likely to get a deal with the person you have been dealing with before. A person with as many high end bikes as you would know that repeat customers always get a little discount if they ask. Finally, a screw up that big management will do anything to get the bike back and make you happy. It is to easy to file a complaint with the credit company and get your money back.
I am sorry if I sound like the lawyer for the mail orders of the world. But, I work in the bicycle industry. I have worked in LBS, Mail Order, Small Components, and for a huge bike company. The bike industry is not filled with a bunch of corperate whores who are trying to get rich. It is filled with passonite people living for the sport they love. There are jerks and everybody has a bad day. But, all in all people want to help you enjoy the sport. TThe key here is people. Customer service is used in this thread a lot. But for the most part we are talking about "e" shopping. If customer service is what you crave, get on the phone. Go to your local bike shop. Think about it... Why are online stores cheaper then my LBS. No overhead. I can buy an automated system to process online orders, I can lower my prices, sell more stuff, get better buying power, make a better profit selling an item for less. Sign me up. It is not so glamorous that way. BUT WE DEMAND THE LOWER PRICES.
Look, I have not always gotten the best service. I have not always given the best service. We are all people. The computer that sent you an extra pump, that didn't answer your email is not. Next time call your order in, or better yet give your LBS a chance to price match. Then complain about the PERSON who gave you bad service.
That is my 2 cents.
By the way, I shop at my LBS. The owner and I share a cigar now and then. Because we are friends he matches prices for me, oh wait he does that for all his customers. All of the customers are his friends. We are all his friends because he gave us good customer service every time...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
The Enforcer said:
The bike quote that turned into a sale for some sly salesman, I find a few things wrong with your story. First, if they charged your card without permission that is illigal. Whomever used your card without permission ( the commission hungary salesman) could be brought up on charges of fraud. Especially if they specced items you did not ask for. Second, if you have a repoire with a sales person like the one you were on a first name basis with why didn't you get a quote from them. You are more likely to get a deal with the person you have been dealing with before. A person with as many high end bikes as you would know that repeat customers always get a little discount if they ask. Finally, a screw up that big management will do anything to get the bike back and make you happy. It is to easy to file a complaint with the credit company and get your money back.
I am sorry if I sound like the lawyer for the mail orders of the world. But, I work in the bicycle industry. I have worked in LBS, Mail Order, Small Components, and for a huge bike company. The bike industry is not filled with a bunch of corperate whores who are trying to get rich. It is filled with passonite people living for the sport they love. There are jerks and everybody has a bad day. But, all in all people want to help you enjoy the sport. TThe key here is people. Customer service is used in this thread a lot. But for the most part we are talking about "e" shopping. If customer service is what you crave, get on the phone. Go to your local bike shop. Think about it... Why are online stores cheaper then my LBS. No overhead. I can buy an automated system to process online orders, I can lower my prices, sell more stuff, get better buying power, make a better profit selling an item for less. Sign me up. It is not so glamorous that way. BUT WE DEMAND THE LOWER PRICES.
Look, I have not always gotten the best service. I have not always given the best service. We are all people. The computer that sent you an extra pump, that didn't answer your email is not. Next time call your order in, or better yet give your LBS a chance to price match. Then complain about the PERSON who gave you bad service.
That is my 2 cents.
By the way, I shop at my LBS. The owner and I share a cigar now and then. Because we are friends he matches prices for me, oh wait he does that for all his customers. All of the customers are his friends. We are all his friends because he gave us good customer service every time...
Well, honestly everyone's entitled to their opinion, and if you sat there and thought about all the things that coulda woulda shoulda happened, you're bound to come up with alternate endings to my experience. Doesn't change what happened. What I posted is true, I support shops that do business the right way. Those that don't I pass on, and let others know as well. Years ago, I shopped at Cambria every week. I haven't for about 2 years.
FYI, the reason I called Cambria just to check on cost was that I buy 99% of my items at my LBS. I don't ever ask them to match prices. Sometimes they are a little high, sometimes they are a little low. We had two hurricanes come through here within 3 weeks of each other, wiped our economy out for a while. During that time, sure I could have found stuff cheaper, and honestly it would have made it easier on me to save a buck here and there during those tough times. But my LBS was going through the same thing I was, and honestly if I didn't support them in that time of crisis, they might not be there to support me in the future.
Sure, every once in a blue moon I call around just to compare so I sleep well at night. I do buy a TON of stuff, both road and mountain, and have as I say a revolving door of high-end bikes in my house, there are normally 4 on my floor at any one time not including my wife's bikes. I am not just on a first-name basis with the guys from my LBS, I ride with them, eat with them, race with them, travel with them. Not just to races, but out of state fun rides. They are my friends, and we just happen to do a lot of business together. They bring in frames from boutique builders like Titus and Ventana and Santa-Cruz that they do not normally sell just for me. They go beyond the extra mile. Look up pics of me on this forum and you'll find me in their clothes, doing my part to spread the positive word about their shop in return. I reccomend them to anyone I meet. That's what it's all about.
For the items they can't get me, I shop online for. But it's a pretty small percentage of my stuff. For those items, I personally wouldn't shop at a place that did what Cambria did to me, and really not for the mistake, heck sh*t happens. But when it happens, fix it. And fix it with a smile, and move on. The poor customer service is why I left, and why I posted what I did. Not the mistake.
I remember when I opened my business years ago and I went to a customer retention seminar. They used Wal-mart as an example, and this has stuck in my mind forever. Wal-mart knows how many customers shop at their stores, and what their stores' sales are. They know the average customer shops at that Wal-mart X amount of times for X amount of years, usually 10 or more years. So if they lose that customer over a puny $40 sale that for example might have been what the average shopper spent in that store per week, factored out for every week for the next 10 years, they just lost $20,000 in sales. That's the future in good customer service.
After a while, I guess I could sum it up like this; We all know the quality of stuff from places like Chris King, Thomson, etc. They are tops in the industry. They are not the cheapest stuff around, yet you see their stuff on people's bikes because they know those products are of the highest quality, are trouble-free and reliable. I shop at places that offer a level of customer service similiar to the level of quality that King and Thomson offers. Anything else and I'm wasting my time and money.

Caio

-T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
TomFL said:
Well, honestly everyone's entitled to their opinion, and if you sat there and thought about all the things that coulda woulda shoulda happened, you're bound to come up with alternate endings to my experience. Doesn't change what happened. What I posted is true, I support shops that do business the right way. Those that don't I pass on, and let others know as well. Years ago, I shopped at Cambria every week. I haven't for about 2 years.
FYI, the reason I called Cambria just to check on cost was that I buy 99% of my items at my LBS. I don't ever ask them to match prices. Sometimes they are a little high, sometimes they are a little low. We had two hurricanes come through here within 3 weeks of each other, wiped our economy out for a while. During that time, sure I could have found stuff cheaper, and honestly it would have made it easier on me to save a buck here and there during those tough times. But my LBS was going through the same thing I was, and honestly if I didn't support them in that time of crisis, they might not be there to support me in the future.
Sure, every once in a blue moon I call around just to compare so I sleep well at night. I do buy a TON of stuff, both road and mountain, and have as I say a revolving door of high-end bikes in my house, there are normally 4 on my floor at any one time not including my wife's bikes. I am not just on a first-name basis with the guys from my LBS, I ride with them, eat with them, race with them, travel with them. Not just to races, but out of state fun rides. They are my friends, and we just happen to do a lot of business together. They bring in frames from boutique builders like Titus and Ventana and Santa-Cruz that they do not normally sell just for me. They go beyond the extra mile. Look up pics of me on this forum and you'll find me in their clothes, doing my part to spread the positive word about their shop in return. I reccomend them to anyone I meet. That's what it's all about.
For the items they can't get me, I shop online for. But it's a pretty small percentage of my stuff. For those items, I personally wouldn't shop at a place that did what Cambria did to me, and really not for the mistake, heck sh*t happens. But when it happens, fix it. And fix it with a smile, and move on. The poor customer service is why I left, and why I posted what I did. Not the mistake.
I remember when I opened my business years ago and I went to a customer retention seminar. They used Wal-mart as an example, and this has stuck in my mind forever. Wal-mart knows how many customers shop at their stores, and what their stores' sales are. They know the average customer shops at that Wal-mart X amount of times for X amount of years, usually 10 or more years. So if they lose that customer over a puny $40 sale that for example might have been what the average shopper spent in that store per week, factored out for every week for the next 10 years, they just lost $20,000 in sales. That's the future in good customer service.
After a while, I guess I could sum it up like this; We all know the quality of stuff from places like Chris King, Thomson, etc. They are tops in the industry. They are not the cheapest stuff around, yet you see their stuff on people's bikes because they know those products are of the highest quality, are trouble-free and reliable. I shop at places that offer a level of customer service similiar to the level of quality that King and Thomson offers. Anything else and I'm wasting my time and money.

Caio

-T
If you have that good of a relationship with your LBS why try to go elsewhere? In the end if they feel like you are playing them the well might run dry if you catch my drfit.

You say 99% of your purchases come from your LBS, but you also DO spend more money than the average biker. So... lets get crazy and say you drop somewhere around 40K per year on bikes which is an absolutely RIDICULOUS sum. If 99% of it is spent locally that means $39,600 was spent @ the LBS leaving $400 for Cambria. By ordering 1x per week as mentioned above you spent on average $7.69 per week. I am going to call BS on the 99% statement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
XC_Miles said:
If you have that good of a relationship with your LBS why try to go elsewhere? In the end if they feel like you are playing them the well might run dry if you catch my drfit.

You say 99% of your purchases come from your LBS, but you also DO spend more money than the average biker. So... lets get crazy and say you drop somewhere around 40K per year on bikes which is an absolutely RIDICULOUS sum. If 99% of it is spent locally that means $39,600 was spent @ the LBS leaving $400 for Cambria. By ordering 1x per week as mentioned above you spent on average $7.69 per week. I am going to call BS on the 99% statement.
Dude, you're a riot. I guess I should have put "approximately 99%; while this figure is deemed an accurate estimation, it is not substantiated by any independant accounting firms, and therefore is to be used for estimating purposes only"

Would you agree you're nitpicking at this point, and looking to hijack the thread off it's intended purpose?

I put my signature/footnote line in all my posts just for people like you. See just below...

-T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Tom,
Call me an idiot if you wish I really don't care. Fact is you were railing on Cambria a bit too hard and it needed to be tempered. The post was meant to be saracastic. Do you honestly think I believe you spent only $7.69 per visit to Cambria? Tom, while being the idiot that I am, I am not that stupid.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top