1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have this PDF about the Stumpjumber FRS
http://files.e2ma.net/29087/assets/docs/spe008_stumpjumper_full.pdf

What I don't have is the same for the Camber.
Can anyone help me out?

Does anyone know the frame weight of the Camber 29 vs Stumpjumber FSR both in Alu M5?
The PDF says 2.510kg for the Stumpy.

/*
soon to be the owner of a Epic or Camber or Stumpy :confused:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Weights are very close, well within a 1/2 pound of each other I'd guess. Don't let the frame weight decide the bike in this situation. Its really more about where/how you are going to ride the bikes and since there is allot of overlap between the models in price and specs I kind of put in my checklist below that I used when buying my camber expert.

-If you ride allot of smooth single track with some drops and short climbs, some tree roots and rocks but nothing crazy, then the Epic or Camber.
-If you ride the same as above but have allot more descending going on, drops off rocks, more jumps, and rocky/rooty descents that are more than 2-3' than look into the Stumpy FSR.
-If you are leaning more towards the Camber and Epic and don't plan on doing allot of races, say 2-3 a year max, and the Camber is substantially cheaper than go with that.
-If the Camber and Epic equipment levels are comparable and the price is basically the same or very close than go with the Epic, it'll be a smidge lighter and have a racier frame geo.

I have done one race on my Camber since buying it, I got a great deal of $1,599 plus tax, and I couldn't touch a comparably equipped Epic or Stumpy for that price. I spent a couple hundred bucks upgrading components and throwing on some Mavic Crosstrails and Its under 27# now. Its super comfy for causal trail riding but its good enough for Cat 2 or Cat 3 racing unless you are a 17-# top runner. For me being a 220# clyde that rides trails 4-5 times a week and does an occasional 10 mile race the Camber can't be beat for the money.

If I decide to commit to doing say 6-7 races next year, drop my weight down a little more and actually do a little training I could see selling the Camber and "investing" $3k+ into an Epic but that's something to decide in the spring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the reply madsedan

This goes for all 3 bikes models:
Alu Comp edition alle cost the same here in Denmark, so price is not an aspect in the equation.

I do belive the SJ is to AM for me (Denmark is flat lol),
but if it at the same time were lighter than the Camber, it could still be the better option.

I do think i'll need to try the Epic, as it has better gear in the comp version, don't no why that is.
Hope i won't hate the more race oriented design of it.

My race plan will only include the longer races (8h,12h,24h, 100km) and the likes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Same challenge

Hi all,

I do also have same concern, I was eager to get Camber and was fan of Camber Pro 29 which was great package and value in 2011. Unfortunately it was not available in my part of Europe. But now comparing 2012 models I'm quite challenged is it really worth it more.

Specifically comparing Camber Comp 29 and Stumpy Comp or even Stumpy Comp 29. They cost almost the same, equipment is the same but Stumpy seems to have newer, better and lighter frame, better rear suspension (auto sag) and overall bike is lighter - even with 140m Fox in the front. (Stumpy Comp 26:12.47kg, Stumpy Comp 29: 13,03kg vs Camber Comp 29: 13,27kg according to bergwerk.ch).

Overall I'm puzzled if Camber is such a great package in 2012. Epic is little bit more expensive but faster, Stumpy is probably more fun ... so should I really consider Camber?!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If you are doing some races like you mentioned you should look hard at the Epic more than the other 2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
29 fs

I am also having a problem deciding between the three.

Was set on the S-Works Epic 2012. But now all my studies online says I should get the Camber, even in a much cheaper model. (No pro carbon in europe). Then when I talk about the Camber, everybody says to get the StumpJumper.. Not easy!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Ive ridden the camber and stumpy 29ers, i di not like the way e stumpy rode at all. Didnt feel balance, it set my deciscion to buy an enduro instead. Last weekend i rod a camber pro carbon and i was uber stoked! I was able to ride the bike as aggressive as i do my enduro on xc trails and it felt amazing! Ripped up the single track, felt great in the air, and climbed well too. If i ever end up with a 29er in the quiver it will be a camber, and i hope to do a lot off xc racing next summer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.