Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you riding Camber 26ers, primarily speaking of the Pro model:
Are you doing drops on your bike? If so how much will they handle?
Are you jumping on your bike? If so how much will it handle?

I understand its right at the 5" cusp of travel. I'm in a pickle cause I love to ride fast XC with lots of miles but I want to start hucking a few rocks I always ride around on my hardtail and there is also a new creek jump that was just built.

Debating b/w the Camber or a Stumpy FSR.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm sure you'll be able to huck a few rocks without any issues.

My FSR XC has been absolutely fine. Even tried some Downhill but wont do that again as it went through the travel too easily on the big drops (maybe 5 or 6 foot drops).

·
Registered
454 Posts
You''ll be fine, the pro has decent wheels that should hold up well. If your were picking a lower model, I'd prolly upgrade the rims for a bit more strength.

I was at a perfect place last weekend to try out its jumping/drop capabilities, but I decided to ride with my clipless for the first time, it was a bad idea on my part. Way to technical of an area for a first time clipless ride and I missed out on some nice 2-4 drops and some nice airouts...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@00Sable: Wow thats pretty hardcore for a 5 inch bike. The rocks at my home park are about half that height but are a similar approach and ride and transition to flat-downslope. Was that the 29er he was on?

@ds33gt: Wheels are going regardless when the bike is purchased. I had the 420sl's on my 2009 stumpy hardtail and they are just too flexy and to much spoke noise. I got to the point when they were almost a year old and they were having to be trued every 2-3 rides.
I'm in NC and I'm big on supporting all the component companies based here such as Cane Creek and I-9 so likely stock wheels would be ditched for I9 hubs mated to something like a Stans Arch or Flow. If that doesn't work then probably some nice Hope Pro 2's...
I'd also probably go ahead and convert the front end to a 9mm thruaxle and the rear to the 10mm thru axle both which will fit in the standard dropouts of the fork/frame.

·
Bike Addiction
763 Posts
I believe it is a 29er. I wasn't there for the pics and the last time I saw him he was on a SJ fsr 26er.I know the rocks because I ride AROUND them every weekend. This guy has been riding a long time and if I'm not mistaken he owns a bike shop or at least works for one. Oh and it is a little bit of a down slope to the landing he made. He is a smooth rider.Great in the techy stuff.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The camber is sick, i've got mine set up for going downhill with a 50mm stem and 750mm bars. I have done over head height drops and 25 ft jumps on it and it comes back wanting more. Here is my question for people: WHEN DID 5 INCHES OF TRAVEL STOP BEING AN AGRESSIVE TRAIL BIKE???? You don't need 140mm of travel like the stumpy has for trail riding, and you certainly don't want a brain shock, turns your 140mm of travel into useless poop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am interested in doing the same - riding mostly XC but hucking off the rocks and a few drops I have historically ridden around? The highest is probably 4 feet with avg. of 2 feet. Do you guys think I'd be OK with the camber pro 29er or be forced to go 26??

Thanks for any comments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts