Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a bad idea to use a 140mm fork on my 2013 Camber?
The stumpy has the same HT angle and uses a 140mm so why not?
My local trail's would like a 140mm fork better.

·
No talent hack
1,118 Posts
A longer fork will change the HT angle on the Camber. The Stumpy is set up to have the longer fork so the angle is different before the fork is put on.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I can't buy a new bike and my favorite trail is bottoming out my 120, so it makes sense to look at a 140 to me.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I held back at the last minute and bought a different fork.

Rock Shox Revelation Dual Position 150mm / 120mm RCT3

I got it NEW OEM on a super deal for $450 on ebay.

·
On wuss patrol
5,045 Posts
ok I ordered a Pike 140mm on ebay for a killer price.
You may have voided your lifetime warranty on the main triangle.

The Camber is more of an XC-oriented bike and is designed for 100mm-120mm front travel. The 140 will raise your bb, the COG, will make it flop more in tight turns, and loop out more with steep climbs. You will notice it but you will probably get used to it. Hopefully it doesn't stress your frame and put you at risk.

I'm one to talk. I put a 140 Tower Pro on my 2010 Stumpy FSR that came with a 120 Fox. I figured the year following models came with 130s and the Evo had 140. Although, the Stumpy is more of a trail/light AM bike, anyway.

·
No talent hack
1,118 Posts
You can buy the internals to dial the Pike back to 120mm. That is my plan.... in the long run.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Run it at 140 and see what you think. The Geo is pretty steep on the camber and a 140mm fork would slacken it out a bit and make it descend alot better!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
You must be riding that bike way hard, maybe the camber is not the right bike for you, im a big guy and I have never bottomed out my fork.I also own a 13 camber.

·
The Boat or The Bike?
1,475 Posts
That's what I want to do. I'm going to get a 140 Pike for my '13 Camber Comp. I ride a lot of big rocks, and more rocks and a more slack HA will help get the wheel over those big bumps. Since I can't afford to run out and buy an Enduro, I'll start with a bigger fork for now!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took my first ride with the 150/120 Dual mode Rock Shox Revelation mounted on my 2013 Camber 29 yesterday.
I have this to say:
The new fork on my bike is absolutely amazing and transforming.
The fork has such a good balance of letting you ride high in the stroke yet remaining plush through the full travel.
Amazing, how it when climbing a steep hill it actually sags lower than normal which put the bike at just the right position!
Interesting that the lower sag is the almost identical position that it is forced into when I drop it to the 120 mode.
So basically the bike rides like at 150 millimeter travel bike while on the trail but when I pointed up hill it auto sags into a snappy 120 mm bike mode.

I loved leaving it at 150 even when climbing steep hills.
Not once did I prefer dropping it from 150 down to 120 on any terrain type.
This fork has the top crown 3 mode toggle like (CDT) and I did use the middle mode when on pavement, it was a noticeable benefit.
On the trail, I preferred the rebound adjustment in range of the last 3 clicks to the slowest.
Oh and another note, the HT angle is raised and slacked noticeable at 150mm.
I loved it the GEO!
It was basically perfect to me, in this 150mm position, which resembled the feel of my test rides on a SJ EVO 29 or Remedy 29.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hey @Trail_Blazer,

I noticed you wrote this a while back and was wondering if you could tell me how the bike is performing. Just a quick review on if this is a worthy upgrade would be great! I am not planning on doing this type of upgrade yet but might sometime in the future when I start traveling more and riding gnarlier trails.

Thanks, JP

1 - 15 of 15 Posts