Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to do another VS thread.....

I recently rented a Calling while in Seattle and rode it at Duthie Hill Bike Park. Absolutely loved the bike. But I was originally scheduled to rent a Following MB as I prefer a 29er's rollover capability and rolling speed. But there was something wrong with the fork on the Following MB, so I ended up with the Calling.

For those of you who have ridden both, aside from wheel size and rollover capability, how different are they in terms of handling?

·
C__Corax
384 Posts
calling will be alittle better descending, following will be alittle better climbing. both are great bikes. love my calling, had a insurgent for 2 years. 2 of my homies have followings that I switch out with on a regular basis.

·
Registered
738 Posts
calling will be alittle better descending, following will be alittle better climbing. both are great bikes. love my calling, had a insurgent for 2 years. 2 of my homies have followings that I switch out with on a regular basis.
I would get an Offering, Climbs as well as the following MB if not better and descends better than the calling (Rollover).

Don't discount the steeper seat tube angle effect it is a huge deal.

I have not ridden the Offering but every reviewer said it gives up nothing in climbing to the Following.

I have owned the Insurgent, Following MB and the Wreckoning. The following MB to me was the best all around bike but at times i felt under gunned. I just don't see the downside to getting the offering.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If I were you, I'd be between the Offering and Calling. 120mm is not enough suspension for me.

FWIW, I have the Insurgent and it's looking to be a fun trail bike, even if a bit squishy.

I have ridden the Offering and it is a shredder by the way! Probably my favorite 29er I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry to do another VS thread.....

I recently rented a Calling while in Seattle and rode it at Duthie Hill Bike Park. Absolutely loved the bike. But I was originally scheduled to rent a Following MB as I prefer a 29er's rollover capability and rolling speed. But there was something wrong with the fork on the Following MB, so I ended up with the Calling.

For those of you who have ridden both, aside from wheel size and rollover capability, how different are they in terms of handling?
I've had both bikes. I'd say the Calling felt more playful, nimble, and fun than the following. It also got up steep stuff a little better due to the STA. It was also a lot more comfortable over steep descents. I think it was so fun because it was so easy to get into the air. I agree though with the sentiment above.. If you're looking for a 29er, try the Offering first. It gives up almost nothing to the Following MB.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had both bikes. I'd say the Calling felt more playful, nimble, and fun than the following. It also got up steep stuff a little better due to the STA. It was also a lot more comfortable over steep descents. I think it was so fun because it was so easy to get into the air. I agree though with the sentiment above.. If you're looking for a 29er, try the Offering first. It gives up almost nothing to the Following MB.
Thanks for all of the replies. @Dave1078, I'm guessing that you have also ridden the Offering. Can you be more specific with regards to a comparison to the Following? I ask because I'm partial to short-to-mid-travel 29ers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies. @Dave1078, I'm guessing that you have also ridden the Offering. Can you be more specific with regards to a comparison to the Following? I ask because I'm partial to short-to-mid-travel 29ers.
Guilty. I've spent time on an Offering too. Even with a coil, the Offering is very supportive if you push into it. The thing that the FMB seemed to have an edge on was turn in and tight turns. The pedaling felt about the same. Climbing was nicer on the Offering due to the STA (especially when you're talking about over forking). Both bikes are easy enough to get into the air.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I benefit from being inbetween L and XL, so I size up and slide the saddle forward. Every 6mm buys 1/2 degree of STA, so I figure my STA is now about 76 degrees.
The purpose of the saddle adjustment is to get your body into a proper pedaling position. Your hips and knees factor into that. The seat tube angle should not be a huge factor unless its preventing you from getting your saddle to where it needs to be. Slamming your saddle forward is good for short steep climbs...but for sustained pedaling...its kinda sucks. People tend to fixate on steep STA's way too hard...just like reach.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Slamming your saddle forward is good for short steep climbs...but for sustained pedaling...its kinda sucks.
I disagree. On long climbs with sustained pedaling, slamming the saddle forward makes it much more comfortable, at least in my experience.

People tend to fixate on steep STA's way too hard...just like reach.
Here I do agree that people are fixated on steep STA's. People such as Yeti, Ibis, etc... who can't build their bikes fast enough to keep up with the demand. Steep STA's are a good thing!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Guilty. I've spent time on an Offering too. Even with a coil, the Offering is very supportive if you push into it. The thing that the FMB seemed to have an edge on was turn in and tight turns. The pedaling felt about the same. Climbing was nicer on the Offering due to the STA (especially when you're talking about over forking). Both bikes are easy enough to get into the air.
Offering is definitely as efficient a pedaler in my opinion.

I have a Calling and it's my most fun bike. Calling is very easy to control, super capable for a 130mm bike and climbs really well. It also has a steeper STA than the FMB which was too slack for me. The only thing you give up on the Calling from the FMB is the rollover, but you get a lot more.

If you are going 29r from Evil, I think the Offering is their best bike. It's longer than the FMB, but still responsive and with how they've tuned the suspension, I think it's just as good as the FMB. Evil just put all their models on sale other than the Offering, so they might have some new models coming out soon. My guess would be a long-travel 29 is next, but you never know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If your metric for steep seat angles being better is bike sales then yes, "steep STA's are a good thing." There's been quite a few studies on saddle fore/aft position (really what all the STA talk should be focused on) and they've mostly been inconclusive. Some of the recent work concluded that for steady state pedaling, saddle position further back is more efficient (slightly) but maximal power may be improved with a forward position.

IME i've found this to be true (or I feel like it's true anyway) though this is primarily focused on road and cx racing. My point is I don't think that steep STA's are necessarily better or worse but STA has seemingly been coopted as a feature of "modern geometry." Having demo'd multiple bikes with 75-76 degree STA back to back with the "slack" STA insurgent...I bought the insurgent. YMMV.

-w

·
Registered
809 Posts
It's all about how steep your local trails are and how long you're climbing. If you're riding flat/rolling terrain, and climbing 2-300ft max before descending, a STA around 74° is great. If you're doing sustained climbs with grades averaging 10% or greater, up 500-2000ft, a STA around 76° is better.

When I ride flatter trails on my Offering, I notice that I'm sitting a bit forward and there is more pressure on my hands. This is one of the downsides of steep STAs. On the flip side, when I'm climbing a steep section on my FMB, I've got to get on the nose of the saddle.

Both have their plusses and minuses imo, but from my experience, the sweet spot is definitely 74-76°.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's all about how steep your local trails are and how long you're climbing. If you're riding flat/rolling terrain, and climbing 2-300ft max before descending, a STA around 74° is great. If you're doing sustained climbs with grades averaging 10% or greater, up 500-2000ft, a STA around 76° is better.

When I ride flatter trails on my Offering, I notice that I'm sitting a bit forward and there is more pressure on my hands. This is one of the downsides of steep STAs. On the flip side, when I'm climbing a steep section on my FMB, I've got to get on the nose of the saddle.

Both have their plusses and minuses imo, but from my experience, the sweet spot is definitely 74-76°.
That makes sense, and matches my experience on the trails. All the reviewers these days like steeper seat angles, and they're probably basing that on the relatively long and steep climbs they do for their rides.

·
Registered
54 Posts
People put way to much stock into STA! I have a Calling and Offering and hands down my Calling is the better climber. I love both bikes but my Calling is my go to bike 90% of the time and it allegedly has out dated geo. Im refraining from a STA rank! I have ridding buddies who will never consider a bike unless STA is 76 or great, the number is a very small part of equation to bike climbing well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.