Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shiggy - are you out there?

I'm looking for treads for my fs xc suitable for a particular type of trail. The area I usually ride is wooded, with singletrack that is mostly dirt and strewn w/ pine needles/cedar droppings. It's loamy in most areas but there are a lot of exposed areas where the trail gets clayish and like creamy peanut butter, even with a light drizzle.

Right now I'm running Hutchinson Pythons (f & r) and I like the low tread design for the street ride to the trail. However, this tread design is not at all conducive to these trails; they slip easily on leaves, don't grab well in corners, and you can forget about mud. The last time I rode it, it'd sprinkled a couple hours prior and I wound up having to carry my bike halfway through the ride b/c of the mud pileup in my fork and brakes. These tires just don't shed mud.

Any ideas on a tire that can suit this type of trail but might still retain a semi-low profile for the street ride?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
stinkymutt said:
...Any ideas on a tire that can suit this type of trail but might still retain a semi-low profile for the street ride?
No.

You need a very open, deep tread on a fairly narrow tire for that type of muck. The exact opposite of what is best for pavement.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Destroy said:
Oh good lord, clay mud. That's gotta be the worst stuff anyone can try to ride in. Sticks like glue and is slippery like grease.

Just read about this tire last night. Have NO clue if its any good or not however.
My browser spazzed out with that link. Which model are you looking at?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Destroy said:
What he said. Schwalbe.
I knew it was a Schwalbe but they make dozens of models.

The Black Shark Mud kicks serious butt. Maybe THE best pure mudder available. It is serviceable on firm terrain and nearly unbeatable in most muck.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
spdrcr5 said:
Just read about a technique to shed mud off tires is to spray them down with Pedro's Bike Lust. Whatever tires you choose, maybe you can try that stuff and see how much it helps.
Spraying tires with stuff may work for a short time and it usually reduces traction on hard surfaces.

·
Space for rent...
1,012 Posts
spdrcr5 said:
I read that several professional MTB teams do this when they know they will be racing in muddy conditions. Like I said, it is just something else to try.
It may be OK for a team with deep pockets, but I would be concerned about what it will do the rubber itself. Any chemical like that has the potential to break down the bond, and reduce the wear resistance over time.

I would think twice before I tried that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.