Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goodaye Phat Head & Others

I posted before with only one response - sorry to hassle again.

Just picked up an 04 Slayer 50 - what a stunner!!

No probs getting the Fox Vanilla up front to my liking - but would like some advise re propedal on the rear.

FWIW - i weigh about 12 stone, about 5' 9" size 18 bike.

Should i set the sag MORE than the old standard rule of 1/4 of shaft travel and let the propedal do its work on the climbs and acceleration? Any suggestions on rebound - i usually just twist the knob till it feels about right. My previous ride ('dale Jekyll) i had set up reasonably stiff - i liked it like that.

I'm not a free ride mad man, more an aggresive trail rider. I still like good uphill and acceleration performance.

To all of you - continue to enjoy and promote this most excellent sport!

cheers, Jawry

p.s the hutchies seem to get bad reviews - look to me to be a perfect match. Big volume, aggresive tread, low weight - the perfect tire?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Congrats

That is one sweet looking ride you have there. I have to stay faithful to my metalic red/grey/black color scheme, but the 04 - 50 is hot, hot, hot!! I'm no help on the sag part of your question, but I will say that those tires were not my favorites. Actually, I got rid of the rear after a couple months, as the paper thin sidewall blew out, forcing me to unleash some serious MacGyver skills just to get home. Since then I kept meaning to replace the front. But I grew to kind of like the low knobby surface and fat balloon feel, as it seems to grip the very rocky terrain I ride decently up front. At this point though, I really do need to get a new front tire, because they ( these are the Hutch' Mosquito lites) don't really hold up to much punishment. Kinda flimsy.
BTW - I was not a freeride man either, and I guess I'm still not. One group of riders I ride with is about 50% true cross country rigs (Fuel, Stumpjumper HT, etc.), and 50% freeride set ups (Bullit, Switch, Stinky, etc.), and then there's me. The Slayer is truly the best of both worlds. The huckers keep getting surprised as I follow them off stuff, and the XC boys wonder how the beefy RM pedals so well. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
i also just got a slayer (a 30 but it should still apply the same) i set up my rear shock with about 160 psi, i weigh 160lbs or so, and its perfect, it has a little under a half an inch of sag, so its decently stiff and it bobs very very little (if any), as for the rebound, it came just about perfect from the factory, and i have just been playing with it like you said to fine tune it to perfection

good luck and congrats on your purchace i absoultly love mine :D

·
keep the shiny side up!
275 Posts
rule of thumb from rocky was your weight -10. it's a good starting point and you can adjust from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts