Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Administrator
11,324 Posts
Sorry this is very typical scammer behavior. If in doubt on MTBR please shoot a supermoderator or an admin a PM and ask them to check out a user. This guy came in on hundreds of IP addresses and has zero posting history. Most users that have a large post histories only come in on a few IP addresses. It means they are using a VPN which usually means scammer as we have blocked a lot of the African IP's where most of these scams originate from.

As others have noted do not use friends and families on Paypal, do not use wire services, do a google image search, and if the english seems suspect and I am speaking specifically of this one:
"Gather your mind and give me a little trust, I will get the full trust..."

definitely do your due diligence with the user. That is all full of african english. References to god, god bless, dear, gather your mind, and weird english-ism like these usually point to these african scammers.

Sorry for your loss, the user has been banned and other users using the same group of IP addresses have been banned as well.

·
Registered
533 Posts
For some reason scammers always use the word 'kindly'. Never seen or heard a real person use that word otherwise.
Call into the Kuala Lumpur NOC for DHL some time. You'll hear it at least 12 times in a 5 minute call =) Often paired with "do the needful."

Language barriers like that can be fun too though! We managed to do the Super Troopers 'meow' scene with them many a time, and they had NO idea we were saying meow, or at least didn't think anything of it. I personally got 48 meows in during one such 5 minute call, and that wasn't the department record.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Experience is what you get when things go wrong. Bummer, man. I hope you find the droids you were looking for.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,877 Posts
Call into the Kuala Lumpur NOC for DHL some time. You'll hear it at least 12 times in a 5 minute call =) Often paired with "do the needful."

Language barriers like that can be fun too though! We managed to do the Super Troopers 'meow' scene with them many a time, and they had NO idea we were saying meow, or at least didn't think anything of it. I personally got 48 meows in during one such 5 minute call, and that wasn't the department record.
Kindly do the needful immediately please.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Uh yeah, its already been said many times before my post but that guy had SCAMMER written all over him from the jump.

Kindly have a good day. Regards.

·
Cycologist
8,691 Posts
Weird thing for a scammer to sell, I suspect he found a mention of OP looking for that shock in another post and then contacted OP?

·
Pro Crastinator
11,623 Posts
the grammar should have been the dead giveaway. it reads like every scam letter on the planet. luckily you only got nabbed for $62. i feel your pain, but lesson learned..

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
40,768 Posts
Weird thing for a scammer to sell, I suspect he found a mention of OP looking for that shock in another post and then contacted OP?
Excellent detective work. I say that because I’m pretty sure you nailed it on the head.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Never send money as friends and family unless they are actually friends and family. I have had sellers ask me to do that and I will send it as goods and add 3% for the seller.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I know, I know......I did all that crap after.......

Image search, reverse phone, member profile, facebook name search....sigh...
The number is VoIP number/texting that is registered to bandwidth.com. You may want to check with them, they have page to report a phone number with.

From their website:
Getting harassing calls or texts? Seeing potentially fraudulent activity from a Bandwidth phone number? We’re here to help.
Did you recently receive a call or text from a phone number that you believe is on the Bandwidth network? We take unwanted calls and text messages seriously. At Bandwidth, we work with companies to power their own communications service offerings, and that includes providing them with phone numbers. We do our best to ensure our customers use Bandwidth-provided numbers responsibly and in accordance with the law. If you are receiving unwanted calls or text messages or seeing misuse of a number you believe is on Bandwidth’s network, please fill out the form below so we can investigate the issue. If you provide us with a valid email address, we’ll provide you with a follow-up. If you are a member of law enforcement or other governmental agency please click here to visit our law enforcement guide.

Here is the link and good luck:
Report a Phone Number - Bandwidth

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,547 Posts
Using the term "goods". Um no! Immediate red flag words: "goods", "item", "product"... Either say, "shock", "fork", "seat", or stay far away.

·
Single Track Mind
879 Posts
I recently posted that I was looking to buy a certain shifter for my gravel bike and immediately got like 2 new users with one post responding to me. I laughed at them and went on my way. The 3-day-old account with one post is a dead give away, even without the kindly words.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.