Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help (Shiggy?).....what colors will work?

I want to cannibalize as much as possible my current bike for the new SS steed.

Frame will be blue, hubs will be blue.

As I mentioned, to save $, I want to use the following items from my bike that is funding the build:
* Red King Headset
* Red Hope skewers
* Red Hope seat clamp
* would then get Red Hope Stem
* White 05 Marz Marathon Race (pearl white color)

Who makes a nice wide riser bar in blue?

I know it should not matter but this is the last bike I will build up for a while (I think :D ).

Should I sell the red stuff and/or the Marz fork? The bike has less than 200 miles on it so I can sell the stuff for a decent price I think.

Any relevant pics appreciated!

Cheers

·
Not because I'm fast.....
748 Posts
FoShizzle said:
I remember Azonic use to make the DoubleWall riser in blue. If you search hard enough you could probably find one. 28" of width and a very comfy sweep to them and weight is 310g. If you are much of a weight weenie though, you might not like them. I think they are great for SS. Good luck!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2farfwd said:
I remember Azonic use to make the DoubleWall riser in blue. If you search hard enough you could probably find one. 28" of width and a very comfy sweep to them and weight is 310g. If you are much of a weight weenie though, you might not like them. I think they are great for SS. Good luck!
funny you should say that...the novelty of being a weight weenie wore off virtually once I finished the build I am now going to sell off. The bike i built up is awesome....Rocky Mountain Element, Marta SLs, King wheels, SRAM X.0 drivetrain, etc.....23.5 lbs for fully. Now it is going to be sold after less than 200 miles.....I will take the SS and my Ventana X-5 thank you!

thanks for the Azonic pointer......I remember seeing it. Not light, but blue!

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
Titec

Used to be able to get a Hellbent riser in blue too, not sure if you can anymore though. Probably lighter than the azonic.

Plum

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Attachments

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
zanq said:
I also think color coordination and the details are important. I did a red & black theme (black frame, red rims/bits'n'pieces) and used these. I don't have cages on the bike, just wanted to block off the holes:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=9190
nice touch....thanks!! plus, bling makes a bike faster, right?

·
Registered
448 Posts
FoShizzle said:
nice touch....thanks!! plus, bling makes a bike faster, right?
You know this! :D Only regret I have from that build is I didn't get a red King headset (pewter was on sale). I thought it would have been too much, but turns out it would have been just right. She still looks beautiful in my eyes! The Inbred I'm building up will be bling. Black on white color scheme with white rims!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
zanq said:
You know this! :D Only regret I have from that build is I didn't get a red King headset (pewter was on sale). I thought it would have been too much, but turns out it would have been just right. She still looks beautiful in my eyes! The Inbred I'm building up will be bling. Black on white color scheme with white rims!
i love white rims.....which ones? I know the Syncros white rims are sweet

·
Registered
448 Posts
FoShizzle said:
i love white rims.....which ones? I know the Syncros white rims are sweet
I've been happy with my Velocity DeepV's so far, so I was thinking of using their VXC Disc rims in white, built up on black hubs, spokes and nipples:

http://velocityusa.com/rims/atb-rims.php

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
FoShizzle said:

As I mentioned, to save $, I want to use the following items from my bike that is funding the build:
* Red King Headset
* Red Hope skewers
* Red Hope seat clamp

I know it should not matter but this is the last bike I will build up for a while (I think :D ).

Should I sell the red stuff and/or the Marz fork? The bike has less than 200 miles on it so I can sell the stuff for a decent price I think.

Cheers
it all sounds cool except for the marz fork. You should sell it..to me

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sportsman said:
it all sounds cool except for the marz fork. You should sell it..to me
I may very well sell it....I just got in from the garage stripping parts of the bike......will start posting adds probably tonight after I get some pics of the various parts I decide to sell.

I am torn on the fork since I absolutely love Marzocchi stuff, especially the 2005 products (I also have an 05 on my trailbike and love it). I just might consider the Fox F80X since that seems to be a logical choice for a single speed but I may just stick with Marzocchi....I guess it depends on how much I can get for the Marz vs how much the new Fox will cost :rolleyes:

cheers

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
FoShizzle said:

* Red King Headset
* Red Hope skewers
* Red Hope seat clamp

Cheers
for looks, i think a red stem and blue bar would look like a clown bike. i think are going for a more classy look. get a red bar. i had a red titec hellbent, but i traded it. i still have one, but am using it (hellbent XC). but they exist, so look around.

if you have the fork, just mount it and see how it looks/rides. i would go with the fork that you prefer the ride, because it makes a huge difference. if you prefer the marz, you can get the lowers painted to match. in fact, maybe the frame builder can paint them when they paint the frame. this used to be 'de rigour' a few years ago...
otherwise you can do wonders with vinyl sticker sign tape. if you have someone do who knows what they are doing, it can look pretty good for cheap.

i think you should build it up with what you have, then ride it/look at it. then make up your mind.

sounds like a fun bike. if you sell it before the end of the season you are a bike whore.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jh_on_the_cape said:
for looks, i think a red stem and blue bar would look like a clown bike.
I think you are right...although I am a clown on the trail, perhaps I do not want people to know that as soon as I get my bike out of the car :) Well, maybe I will just forego any red stuff whatsoever and just sell my red King headset and other misc. red stuff that I have on my Element I am picking apart.

Given blue hubs and frame, what do you think about then just going with silver stuff such as the stem, bars, seatpost clamp, and seatpost?

jh_on_the_cape said:
if you have the fork, just mount it and see how it looks/rides. i would go with the fork that you prefer the ride, because it makes a huge difference.
I think I will stick with the Marz since I like the TST stuff a whole lot....and if I can convince myself of the blue/silver scheme, than the white should not make it look like a bozo mobile.

jh_on_the_cape said:
sounds like a fun bike. if you sell it before the end of the season you are a bike whore.
guilty as charged already.....i am beyond hope :)

cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.